oil overfill ??

Mine took ~3.5 with a new filter. Dumb question, but is everybody making sure the bike is either on both stands, or level when they check it?

I find it odd that there is a half quart difference from engine to engine.

Mine was on both stands. I also put it on the ground and checked it. After warming it up and riding around the block, checked it again and it's just below the line.

I heard if you use 3 quarts oil and 1 quart sand that you can sand blast the internals and now smoothed internals creates less friction,increasing horsepower. :whistle:

3.5 qts w/o filter , 4 with . USE the site glass. overfilling it can cause you to blow gaskets

Mine took ~3.5 with a new filter. Dumb question, but is everybody making sure the bike is either on both stands, or level when they check it?

I find it odd that there is a half quart difference from engine to engine.

I think that the amount to fill must depend on oil changing technique. For example, assuming that everyone were to allow the oil to drain for the same amount of time: Some warm up the engine first to allow the old oil to drain out easier (therefore more does come out when you drain secondary to less viscosity) and some may not be warming up the engine, therefore less oil drains out in a given time. I let mine drain for one hour or so, just warm up the engine, pull the drain plug and go do something else for a while.........

I think it is VERY wise to go with the manual, then use the sight glass to ensure you are neither overfilling or under filling. I bet race mechanics on motoGP teams use the sight glass on those high dollar machines!

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Reactions: Zee
Back