oil overfill ??

slantman

Registered
when i changed my oil i put 3 and 3/4 quarts of oil in it, is that too much? and what would the ramifications be for overfilling it?

Um, there is a sight glass on the side of the engine that allows one to 'see' the oil level. There are also hash marks that show the high / low levels.

Overfilling any engine with oil is a bad situation as the oil can hit moving parts and foam up.

If your kinda new at this (or even if your an expert) there is document somewhere on this site, its a shop manual for the bike. A must have for sure. Will answer a lot of your questions.

Last edited:
I put 3800ml in my Gen 1, fills it to the top of the sight glass. The book recommended 3300ml with filter change, barely shows in the bottom of the sight glass, no thanks.:shocked:
Most folks just dump in a gallon and ride. Never heard of anyone having a problem yet.

3.5 qts with a new filter did not even bring mine up to window and I waited over 30 minutes for it to settle.
I just put 4qts in with a new filter and it sits just under full mark where I like it.

With a new filter...4.0 quarts and you're good to go!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Um, there is a sight glass on the side of the engine that allows one to 'see' the oil level. There are also hash marks that show the high / low levels.

Overfilling any engine with oil is a bad situation as the oil can hit moving parts and foam up.

If your kinda new at this (or even if your an expert) there is document somewhere on this site, its a shop manual for the bike. A must have for sure. Will answer a lot of your questions.
Fallow the manual, then use the side glass to be sure:beerchug:

A friend worked at an auto parts store a few years ago. A lady came in, bought 2 jugs of oil went outside and began "toppin off" here car. It then wouldnt start so she came in and asked for help. They were not able to help her:whistle:

I did the four thing one time and didnt do it again just didnt think it was the rite thing to do thats why they make directions............

She dumps the well in the engine crankcase, the piston comes down on a solid, not air. That is why she could not start the car.

The crankcase has that air designed in. The oil level sits where there is less parts spinning is a bath, to having the correct air with the right oil level it does not bleed off into the air cleaner housing where the crank is closed loop from the atmosphere.

So, you overfill and it can spin, that 'foam' is still foaming, but a lot more of it. This vapor eventually winds up in the air box, you wind up the rpm to red line. The crank and gears act like a windmill vein foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog or the beerstein clang is that foam on the moosestash > :beerchug:

Last edited:
I pour between 3.5 quarts and 4 quarts with a new filter. I keep checking the site glass as I fill it.

I just changed mine yesterday, 2008, and it took a full 4 quarts with filter to get it to the F mark. I agree with everyone else, use 4 quarts. I used 3 1/4 like the book says and it didn't even show.

Depending on how much an engine is overfilled, oil can be forced out somewhere, seals, gaskets etc. Best to take some out and be sure the level is correct.

3.5 qts with a new filter did not even bring mine up to window and I waited over 30 minutes for it to settle.
I just put 4qts in with a new filter and it sits just under full mark where I like it.

Mines the same I was buying a 5th quart just to put in enough to get it to the line but I soon stopped that 4 & go. If the manual says 3.5 then they shouldn't even have a sight glass on it

Mine took ~3.5 with a new filter. Dumb question, but is everybody making sure the bike is either on both stands, or level when they check it?

I find it odd that there is a half quart difference from engine to engine.

Back