Omg! Bump this, the dealer will get my money from now on!

So I went to Advanced and tried to get this, they said they didn't have any, they no longer carry them, but tried to sell me the 65208 instead. This has rubber gaskets on it, is it the same part? Did you use jb weld on it? What about the aluminum shavings?

Awesome thanks! So I buy that, throw it in and I'm set to ride today?

I wouldn't say throw it in. I would slowly start it in, turn it a revolution or two and then back it out and remove any chips etc.
It is going to be cutting some new threads. Then repeat another 2 revolutions and so on till it is in all the way. Then I would use a
shop vacuum and suck out the hole just to be sure that no chips were in there. Then I would use some type of sealer on the threads of the plug
near the head of the plug (not the tip that goes in first) near the washer. Something not effected by oil or heat. Then I would let that dry
for a while. Then put in the oil, start it up and check for leaks.

So not quite throw it in and go. But if you get the plug today and do the work today, you MIGHT ride later today or tomorrow.
I guess that will be your choice. You have waited how long? Is one more day, to do it right worth it?
Hope everything goes well.

I would hope he didn't need to fix the new (used) one.

I think he is trying to avoid removing the exhaust etc.

Putting in a new drain plug is the method that I and many others would do.

Amen Red, its been over a month, this is rediculous, I should have done this from the jump

I wouldn't say throw it in. I would slowly start it in, turn it a revolution or two and then back it out and remove any chips etc.
It is going to be cutting some new threads. Then repeat another 2 revolutions and so on till it is in all the way. Then I would use a
shop vacuum and suck out the hole just to be sure that no chips were in there. Then I would use some type of sealer on the threads of the plug
near the head of the plug (not the tip that goes in first) near the washer. Something not effected by oil or heat. Then I would let that dry
for a while. Then put in the oil, start it up and check for leaks.

So not quite throw it in and go. But if you get the plug today and do the work today, you MIGHT ride later today or tomorrow.
I guess that will be your choice. You have waited how long? Is one more day, to do it right worth it?
Hope everything goes well.

Very good instructions, I guess my only concern is that I already did that with the old plug, and used some green sealant and it still leaked. But I guess because this one is so much wider that will make a difference.

I spent a lot of money on torque wrench's. I have big one's and small one's. I've used big one's on low torque bolts and stripped them, even if the big one's had the torque range that I needed for the small bolt. In my opinion, it makes a Big difference on what wrench you use on what bolt. This is just my experience. I used to have crappy torque wrench's until I broke down and spent some money on the good stuff. And yes, it sucks and it is expensive but, after I did that, I've had No problems. Just A Thought....:goodidea:

Very good instructions, I guess my only concern is that I already did that with the old plug, and used some green sealant and it still leaked. But I guess because this one is so much wider that will make a difference.

Yes but with the old plug the threads were already stripped, at least some.

With the new plug you will be cutting new threads to match the plug. Then with a little sealant, well that should seal the deal.

Rocketmn had a good point to about torque wrench's. I would use like a 3/8" torque wrench if you have one. 16 lbs isn't a whole lot.

Let us know how it turns out.

Yes but with the old plug the threads were already stripped, at least some.

With the new plug you will be cutting new threads to match the plug. Then with a little sealant, well that should seal the deal.

Rocketmn had a good point to about torque wrench's. I would use like a 3/8" torque wrench if you have one. 16 lbs isn't a whole lot.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ok I followed your sugestions, the only prob is that it still is not dry even after a month, so I doubt the sealant will dry. I filled it up and ran it, so far so good, I have a paper towel down so we will see if anything drips. The plug came with a hard plastic o ring, and it cracked when I was tightening it :-( ugh I can't win for losing sometimes.

Ugh looks like its still leaking. It seems impossible to seal as it seems to never dry out from the oil :-(

anytime you use some type of sealant you have to make sure there is no oil before and ATLEAST 24hrs after or you WILL get a leak. For quicker curing times use the grey anaerobic gasket maker because if your using something like black or red rtv its just not going to cut it. Another idea would be to drill out the messed up threads and run a tap and just buy a properly matched drain plug.

How about buying a new oil pan and gasket and fixing it properly? After all it is holding almost 4 quarts of oil in front of the one and only rear tire that is holding you up while riding.

Perfect example why not to buy a pre-owned motorcycle.

Ugh looks like its still leaking. It seems impossible to seal as it seems to never dry out from the oil :-(

First of all nothing is impossible.

I sorry that I didn't tell you to wait longer before adding the oil etc.

If your sure that it is going to keep leaking, then this is what I would do.

Remove the oil in it, to a CLEAN container (so that you can reuse it) and let it sit a day or two.
Then I would get some dry paper towels and or Q-tips and go around the threads (in the oil pan) to remove as much oil as I could,
then I would mix up a cup of soapy water using Dawn dish soap. Dawn will cut the oil and remove it. You could use a degreaser if you have some.
Use the paper towels or Q-tips (soaked with dawn) and go in just far enough to clean the threads. Try not to get it up into the pan itself.
Then using dry paper towels/Q-tips dry it out the best you can. Maybe wait a few hours to be sure.

Clean the oil drain plug too with the soapy mix too and dry it off super good. Let it dry while your are waiting for the pan threads to dry.
Then add the thread sealer (or gasket sealer etc) to fill a few of the threads (and the washer) as before near the washer end.
Insert the plug, torque to 16 ft/lb and wait a day for it to dry. The way your luck is running make it 2 days. :laugh:

Reinsert the oil and check for leaks.

If you follow these instructions exactly and it leaks again THEN it might be time to remove the exhaust and change the oil pan.

This is what I would do.
Forgive me for not making this clear in my first set of instructions. :hide:

First of all nothing is impossible.

I sorry that I didn't tell you to wait longer before adding the oil etc.

If your sure that it is going to keep leaking, then this is what I would do.

Remove the oil in it, to a CLEAN container (so that you can reuse it) and let it sit a day or two.
Then I would get some dry paper towels and or Q-tips and go around the threads (in the oil pan) to remove as much oil as I could,
then I would mix up a cup of soapy water using Dawn dish soap. Dawn will cut the oil and remove it. You could use a degreaser if you have some.
Use the paper towels or Q-tips (soaked with dawn) and go in just far enough to clean the threads. Try not to get it up into the pan itself.
Then using dry paper towels/Q-tips dry it out the best you can. Maybe wait a few hours to be sure.

Clean the oil drain plug too with the soapy mix too and dry it off super good. Let it dry while your are waiting for the pan threads to dry.
Then add the thread sealer (or gasket sealer etc) to fill a few of the threads (and the washer) as before near the washer end.
Insert the plug, torque to 16 ft/lb and wait a day for it to dry. The way your luck is running make it 2 days. :laugh:

Reinsert the oil and check for leaks.

If you follow these instructions exactly and it leaks again THEN it might be time to remove the exhaust and change the oil pan.

This is what I would do.
Forgive me for not making this clear in my first set of instructions. :hide:

Ok lol I am going to take a picture of the sealer I have too and post it to make sure it is sufficient. Also I was noticing the small bolt that screws into the big bolt has a rubber gasket, but the bigger bolt came with a hard plastic one (which cracked while I was tightening it). What if I buy a rubber gasket to use with the big bolt? Would that help too?

I'm not sure if a O-ring gasket would seal it.

If you go to the pep boys site linked above on page 2 they list a metal rubber washer to fit a D.O. drain plug. Part # 097-025.1 SKU: 436553
That might be a better choice.

If you cracked the washer maybe that's why it is leaking ???

I'm not sure if a O-ring gasket would seal it.

If you go to the pep boys site linked above on page 2 they list a metal rubber washer to fit a D.O. drain plug. Part # 097-025.1 SKU: 436553
That might be a better choice.

If you cracked the washer maybe that's why it is leaking ???

Red, I appreciate all the help man! I will go look for this tomorrow. Also, what if I locktited, or JBWelded this thing into place? Yea at first I was worried it was the pan cracking, thank God it was the washer lol. I will be back up on two eventually I keep telling myself lol

Back