Oil Filter

1badasbusa

Registered
Hey Guys I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I thought it was kinda wierd. I did an oil and filter change. The filter was on very tight. I needed a filter wrench to get it off. I put the new one on like I would a car filter. It got tight and then I twisted a little more. It lasted one day at the track. The next day before I started it I noticed some oil under it. I pulled the fairing and used the filter wrench to tighten the filter super tight like the one that I took off was. All seems to be ok now. I rode to work today and every time I got a chance to stop I was lookin under to see if anything was going on. All seems ok.  
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126642879 -->

yep. this happened to me once... nobody but me touched my bike in the 9000+ miles, half of those racing, and about 25 oil changes.

had one filter earlier this year that leaked a bit. cranked it down some more, cleanup, and was fine.

dont let it worry you........

yep. this happened to me once... nobody but me touched my bike in the 9000+ miles, half of those racing, and about 25 oil changes.

had one filter earlier this year that leaked a bit. cranked it down some more, cleanup, and was fine.

I was just kinda supprised how tight it needed to be. A little over kill.

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126576939 -->

I just changed my oil and filter, and the instructions say to tighten TWO FULL TURNS, once the filter touches using a filter wrench. My bike isn't leaking oil.

I just changed my oil and filter, and the instructions say to tighten TWO FULL TURNS, once the filter touches using a filter wrench.  My bike isn't leaking oil.
+1

You should follow the owner's manual on tightness... You don't want to overtighten that is for sure... Aluminum threads are very delicate and stripping them wouldn't be too difficult...

Also make sure you haven't kinked the rubber seal around the filter when you put it on...

Could just be a defective filter and you should just replace it...

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126642130 -->

I just changed my oil and filter, and the instructions say to tighten TWO FULL TURNS, once the filter touches using a filter wrench.  My bike isn't leaking oil.
+1

You should follow the owner's manual on tightness... You don't want to overtighten that is for sure... Aluminum threads are very delicate and stripping them wouldn't be too difficult...

Also make sure you haven't kinked the rubber seal around the filter when you put it on...

+2

This filter gets tightened on tighter than any filter I've ever put on.
From the moment the o-rings touch the engine, 2 full turns. I don't think I've ever put it on that tight. But I do check and make sure its not leaking any since I don't put it on as tight as the manual says.

The manual says hand tight + 2 full turns.  I thought they were smoking crack when they wrote that, but anything less and it'll leak.

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: "Can't spell"|1126648634 -->

The manual says hand tight + 2 full turns.  I thought they were smoking crack when they wrote that, but anything less and it'll leak.
It does NOT say hand tight and then two full turns... It states when contact is made, then you should make two full rotations... There is NO way you are going to hand tight the oil filter and then get two full turns out of it...

Now when it makes contact is the real question and is open to debate... You should be able to feel it when it makes contact because it will not turn as easy as soon as it makes contact...

Cloud

+1

+2

This filter gets tightened on tighter than any filter I've ever put on.
From the moment the o-rings touch the engine, 2 full turns.  I don't think I've ever put it on that tight.  But I do check and make sure its not leaking any since I don't put it on as tight as the manual says.
I use a filter socket wrench , not the strap. After it mates to the surface I give it two more turns. Wipe up the pipes filler up and check for leaks before I ride.

Back