NY Gov Signs “SLEEP” Act Banning Loud Exhausts

Correct, that I agree, but, who gets to draw the line? thats where it gets too gray..no one, I assume likes a 250 dirt bike screaming up the street, but, its not the pipe doing it..its the driver..I live in a gated community, that if someone farts its a deal..lol

But, I drive a hellcat red eye, which is probably the most obnoxious car made here, but, I dont drive it in a way to scare old ladies and little kids..lol..but, its sure fun to drive in the correct places..my neighbors wave when I see them, because I'm aware I'm not the most important person..

Thank God for the ability, to buy, and enjoy this car..if it were up to the powers that be, I would be stuck with a prius

And our gen 3..thank God its made :)

I have to watch for people around when I cold start my firebird. It definitely scares them. I also try to drive responsibly and live in one of those "judgemental" areas. Unfortunately not everyone is as responsible.

Thank you all for your service for those that have given more than can be asked.

In germany we have the same situation! The Bikes must be extreme silent, or you can bet your *** that you running into a police control every hour. Even if your Bike is correct, they treat you not very nice! Many roads are closed, if your bike is louder than 95db in the papers. It dosent matter, if its in real life quieter. Sometimes you have the feeling, its like a hunt, to get us from the streets! Its a bad feeling when you enjoy the sporty sound of your bike, but then you think "damn.......you know they will control you on every checkpoint". -.-

On the other side, many young hotshots driving cars lik Hyundai i30, Audi RS3, BMW 135iM etc. If you hear them and their flap exhaust system, sometimes it hurts your ears "raaaaammmm paaam paaaam bam bam", sounds like engine misfire by the old days. It´s not to compare with a US V8 Engine, this european pocket rocket hatchbacks have no style.

But why the police dont check them? You hear them 5 Miles away! When they cross the road, the police look away.....but when you drive by bike? Baaaaaad desicion! Hypocritical german politics....

IMHO the old belief that " loud pipes saves lives " which for some reason I carry with me from my Harley Decker days, which of course is false seems to linger on amongst many motorcyclists.

I don't personally care what you do with your own stead, but, I do care when it effects me. Having said this my Shelby with ford racing exhaust does have quite a bark but only if you really get on it. Otherwise it is just that sweet sound of a big block.

My point is that my new Gen 3 will likely never see an exhaust change, I know sacrilegious... but to me the factory has set the exhaust to deliver and comply with noise and pollution standards. I doubt with all of my limited capabilities that I could ride the new motorcycle to its maximum as it is.

The days of being able to wind out and ride free without care or worry are behind me. Now in my area many small communities are test piloting a new program. 40 is the new 50 ( 40 being 24 mph ) this will change what and how as society is forcing us to slow down. Many 80 km roads are going to be 60 km or 40 mph now outside of the above. Yes the fines are ridiculous.... so changing my exhaust would be pointless unless one considers zero to 25 mph a race :)

I live in a rural/subdivision (if that makes sense) I can see the flags of the mall from my deck as it is a couple kms away...

Around here it is either fart can cars, V-twin cruisers of metric or HD design, or pick up trucks with muffler deletes which makes up the extreme noise. The main road is almost a km away but they run it like it is the straightaway at a race track...if I sit out in my gazebo to relax, sometimes these things gnaw on me to the point of wanting to move somewhere else even though I am on a couple acres and have a great neighborhood.

My buddy has a Mustang with the active exhaust system, he can program it with a thing called "good neighbor" where the car is quiet between certain times. All performance cars should have this feature in my opinion..

IMHO the old belief that " loud pipes saves lives " which for some reason I carry with me from my Harley Decker days, which of course is false seems to linger on amongst many motorcyclists.

I don't personally care what you do with your own stead, but, I do care when it effects me. Having said this my Shelby with ford racing exhaust does have quite a bark but only if you really get on it. Otherwise it is just that sweet sound of a big block.

My point is that my new Gen 3 will likely never see an exhaust change, I know sacrilegious... but to me the factory has set the exhaust to deliver and comply with noise and pollution standards. I doubt with all of my limited capabilities that I could ride the new motorcycle to its maximum as it is.

The days of being able to wind out and ride free without care or worry are behind me. Now in my area many small communities are test piloting a new program. 40 is the new 50 ( 40 being 24 mph ) this will change what and how as society is forcing us to slow down. Many 80 km roads are going to be 60 km or 40 mph now outside of the above. Yes the fines are ridiculous....
Yes, an if you get caught going 40kms/hr over the limit in the 80kph zones, or 50kms/hr over in the 90kph and up zones, you are walking for a while..and the fines are increasing all the time.

That doesn't deter many people though for some reason...the municipal road near me is a 50kph zone and recently they put a radar speed indicator on it...while out walking sometimes I'll stand and watch that thing and have seen speeds over 100kph in that 50 zone, they fly down that road where many people walk along.

I live in a rural/subdivision (if that makes sense) I can see the flags of the mall from my deck as it is a couple kms away...

Around here it is either fart can cars, V-twin cruisers of metric or HD design, or pick up trucks with muffler deletes which makes up the extreme noise. The main road is almost a km away but they run it like it is the straightaway at a race track...if I sit out in my gazebo to relax, sometimes these things gnaw on me to the point of wanting to move somewhere else even though I am on a couple acres and have a great neighborhood.

My buddy has a Mustang with the active exhaust system, he can program it with a thing called "good neighbor" where the car is quiet between certain times. All performance cars should have this feature in my opinion..

My dream car is a Mustang Bullit, i watched a lot of youtube Videos and there you see the function you descripe. I think it will really helpfull with your neighbours! Because a coldstart can be very interesting with this Engine. But.....i dont think my neighbours will like it. :D

So with this feature you save the relationship between you and the other ones arround you. After you passed them, just push the button! And to be honest, some days you dont like it your self, when its to loud.

A sport exhaust on a motorbike in germany makes no sense, because...thats ironic i think...they are much quieter than the original ones! You buy a akrapovic for lot of money, and the bike is much quieter. Some Racetracks in germany demand this quieter sport exhaust systems or ban you from the track! A Honda Fireblade with original exhaust, is banished from the tracks here.

Last edited:
But, I drive a hellcat red eye, which is probably the most obnoxious car made here, but, I dont drive it in a way to scare old ladies and little kids..lol.
The dealer where I take my truck for service had one of those and a Hellcat Charger which had a Borla exhaust system on it....the saleslady started it up for me and I said, every cop in a 2 mile radius would have just dropped their donut wondering where that came from....if that's not cop bait, nothing is.

Pretty serious car though....

They had a Ram TRX there as well and I made the mistake of sitting in it and justifying to myself why I didn't need one....the final argument came when a divorce would be imminent....

Loud pipes help in slow moving traffic in busy cities and pedestrians notice you more. But on the highway ain't no one going to hear you till it's to late.
In many cases due to the loud exhaust facing away from the flow of traffic, loud pipes do nothing but annoy the person behind them.

If a person with loud pipes on a bike were approaching a pedestrian cross walk, the sound would be behind them and the pedestrian would not necessarily hear them approaching...they might hear a muted rumble but no definite clear approach direction but at least there's something.

Just wait until EV takes us over....no sound at all other than the tires....I wonder how many people will get run over?

In many cases due to the loud exhaust facing away from the flow of traffic, loud pipes do nothing but annoy the person behind them.

If a person with loud pipes on a bike were approaching a pedestrian cross walk, the sound would be behind them and the pedestrian would not necessarily hear them approaching...they might hear a muted rumble but no definite clear approach direction but at least there's something.

Just wait until EV takes us over....no sound at all other than the tires....I wonder how many people will get run over?
No most cities have building or vehicles to echo off of, you can hear a Harley in town from a mile away whether its infront behind or beside.

Well, when I road my gen2 with 4 in 1 brocks was loud as you know. When I lane split with that bike, all moved over as they heard me with a blip of the throttle. Now with the quiet gen3, I'm invisible. I have to be on the side of them before they realize I'm there. So a night and day difference with the loud exhaust. Like Germany, the cops in California would turn and look everytime I passed as it is illegal here. Shucks man, I had to get my brocks muffler shipped to a friend in another state and then re ship it to me here in SOCAL. All over decible or not CARB board approved exhaust , vendors will not ship to me here.

My biggest issues with ca and laws like this is they make illegal to buy stuff, completely fucks anyone building a race vehicle in arguably one of the birth places of drag racing-typically ny and ca adopt each other’s laws so I’m sure it’s coming.

No most cities have building or vehicles to echo off of, you can hear a Harley in town from a mile away whether its infront behind or beside.
When they echo around it does get attention....most times negative attention. All of us motorcyclists get lumped into this....the general public is obviously getting sick and tired of the noise and prompting officials to take action whether we like it or not.

My biggest issues with ca and laws like this is they make illegal to buy stuff, completely fucks anyone building a race vehicle in arguably one of the birth places of drag racing-typically ny and ca adopt each other’s laws so I’m sure it’s coming.
Sadly the law makers could really care less about building race vehicles, lots of the stuff we buy now has a "race application only" or "not legal for road use" stamp on it.

Sadly the law makers could really care less about building race vehicles, lots of the stuff we buy now has a "race application only" or "not legal for road use" stamp on it.

And even with those stamps, 90% of it you still can’t buy it or ship it here. It’s stupid.

Back