New zx10 201hp with just a slip on?

Would just gutting the emissions stuff do the same instead of paying $500 for just a muffler?

I would say no. It would hurt performance, and still may not perform as well as it could even with a good tune.
Reason being, the catalytic converter goes from an exhaust restiction to an empty hole, which is much larger than the i.d of the pipe. Then it chokes back down into the smaller exhaust pipe again and into whatever muffler you have.
I gutted the converter on my gen2 shortly after I bought it(it was cooking my feet, I wasn't trying to gain any hp).
As I expexted the bike became very sluggish on the bottom end. After I installed a full dual Akrapovic the throttle response became better than stock. The bike runs better than stock(even untuned, even though I know it needs one).
You could actually feel that back pressure had to build in the empty converter before the bike picked up.
My friends did the same to their 07 and 09 zx10s. Those converters are much smaller than the Busa's and the effect was not as bad, but still noticeable. The 09 was dyno'd that way with a slipon and made 178hp(don't remember tq) and the power curve is smooth throughout the entire rpm range. It's anyone's guess as to if it would have made a few more hp with a full exhaust. He's happy with it.
It's all about how well you want it to perform and how much you want to spend.:beerchug:

Those ZX10s may be the stuff in tests, but I don't think they aren't selling well. Don't recall seeing any at the track last year and my last trip to MR Cycles over in Ashville the guy said any reasonable offer would get it out the door.

I've yet to talk to any Kawasaki guys that think the new zx10s look better than the old ones. Better performance aside, it seems alot of folks just don't prefer the new looks. It is a pretty dramatic change.
Sad part is the 08/09 zx10s stock felt alot like the R1s, as in they didn't really start to make any power to around 8k rpm. They felt really weak compared to original 04/05, and the 06/07, even though they ran the same times or better at the track.

Kaw have always made fast bikes, way back to the H1. I think they are just sick of Suzi dominating for the past decade or so.

Those ZX10s may be the stuff in tests, but I don't think they aren't selling well. Don't recall seeing any at the track last year and my last trip to MR Cycles over in Ashville the guy said any reasonable offer would get it out the door.

Heck, that's any Kawi product...

Oh ok, I didn't know all of that. Both bikes are pretty sweet then.

You have to look at ALL variables, people just looking at peak numbers are the reason you have so many bad misinformed dyno threads out there...

You all are forgetting its only a 998CC engine. Thats 342 CC's smaller making them numbers! Thats pretty damnn impressive to me, Just means Kawi is coming up with some serious horsepower secrets while burning the midnight oil. Suzuki better stop counting all there Yen from the Hayabusa sales and get on the ball.

Again, you have to look at everything not just peak power. Kawi's have always made great power, but at the end of the day it's still a Kawi... :laugh:

Back