New Tire Highside

ksheldon

Ex Rookie
Donating Member
Registered
I have been riding for 35 years, have some track time under my belt, and I know how slippery new tires can be and yet I still got caught out and highsided my bike last Monday.

Cold morning, zero miles on new Dunlop 208's, came around a sharp corner 2 blocks from my house at about 10mph (usually hit it over 25 mph) started to straighten the bike up and apply the throttle, and the bike just went sideways like I was on ICE and then snapped back and highsided me. I couldn't believe it. I was being really careful and it still happened.

I was being as careful as I could have been and yet it still happened.

I got dinged up and the bike got a lot of road rash on the left side. Looks like I need a new left side and rear fairing and maybe a new front fairing as well , plus a new stator cover. My helmet did its job - I'll need a new one now.

Just another warning - to be extra careful on new rubber.

Kent Sheldon

Sorry to hear and glad your OK! Was the road wet at all?
rock.gif

Did you dump the throttle when the bike tire started spinning?

Dammit, I hate to hear about another crash.
drooling3.gif
Just glad yer here postin' about it bro. Live to ride again!!!
beerchug.gif

Post pics of the damage and maybe some of us might have the pieces you need...

I have been riding for 35 years, have some track time under my belt, and I know how slippery new tires can be and yet I still got caught out and highsided my bike last Monday.

Cold morning, zero miles on new Dunlop 208's, came around a sharp corner 2 blocks from my house at about 10mph (usually hit it over 25 mph) started to straighten the bike up and apply the throttle, and the bike just went sideways like I was on ICE and then snapped back and highsided me. I couldn't believe it.  I was being really careful and it still happened.

I was being as careful as I could have been and yet it still happened.  

I got dinged up and the bike got a lot of road rash on the left side.  Looks like I need a new left side and rear fairing and maybe a new front fairing as well , plus a new stator cover.  My helmet did its job - I'll need a new one now.

Just another warning - to be extra careful on new rubber.

Kent Sheldon
Thanks for the warning and I'm sorry to hear of your mishap. I too am glad you are still around to post about it. I just put a new Dunlop D208 on my bike. As I left the dealership they warned me to be careful. Mine is well broken in now, but I'd like to know. How do you know your tire is broken in enough to begin getting aggresive with it?
rock.gif

Glad you're ok!
And remember, "There's two kinds of riders... those that have taken a spill, and those that will"

Also, thanks for the warning.

I'd Blame Dunlop!!!!
Seriously, why do manufacturers leave a slippery substance on new tires?  On a car it's no big deal but on a bike it can be deadly for the first few days.
Is there a reason (other than cost) why it can't be cleaned or even lightly sanded off?
It's funny you say that, the day after I got my tire, I was reading here and someone was kidding someone else about sanding their tires. I think it was on the chicken strips thread. I had the bike up on the stand to lube the chain and have a novel idea, I'd sand the tires. I started the bike, put it in second and sanded off all the little nipples. Maybe that is why my tire responded so well so quickly.

I can't see it being a bad idea and will probably try it on the next set of new tires I install.
It really sucks being paranoid for the first few days after installing new rubber.

I always take a piece of sand paper to new tires. Just a little roughing up, especially on the sides. It helps to get the glaze off.

The reason tires are slippery when new is due to the compound used to make them release from the mold. Just something you have to deal with. I tried the 208's out on a busa a couple years ago and found them to be very slippery when cold. I could easily spin them in any gear when cold and they seem to take a while to warm up? I only ran out one set and never trid them again.

I have a brand new, still in the box silver/gray front fairing. I think it's for an 02. As well as a front fender as well!

man I am at a loss for words I am glad you are ok though, the bike can and will get repaired. Again I am glad you are ok.

that happened to me on a new monster 900 ducati with 50 miles the day i got it
it happens so fast you cant catch it
soory to hear about it
good luck with the bike and your health

Glad you were okay! Might have to do the sandpaper thing to my new shoes.

Back