New tire...dumb mistake!!

unkleslapnutz

Donating Member
Registered
Well I had to get a new rear tire....So I went with the M1...Love it so far. Took it out to scuff it up some after it was mounted...<start rant>which by the way was as much to mount that one tire as it was to mount all 4 of my 35 inch tires on my truck<end rant>. Anyho the tire hooked right up and pulled a wheelie right out of the drive way. So far no complaints. Rode for a few miles and go home to recheck all the bolts, wax the chain etc....Got into my shop and one brake bolt is missing and the other is loose. Dont know if i forgot to snug them down or what. I am just lucky someone is lookin out for me up there.

Do you guys use loctite on your rear brake? Just a thought cause now I have to go to the stealership for a new bolt and dont want this happening on a longer ride.

Glad you didn't lose your brakes
cool.gif

Loctite is always a good idea...especially on critical components. Just remember to use the correct color according to the bolt size, otherwise you could end up with problems getting them loose later on.

Another alternative is to safety wire the bolts, but this is much more involved initially.

I use Blue Loctite on all calliper mounting bolts, fork bolts, rotor-bolts, or anything that is a crucial part. On my fairing bolts and bolts I dont use loctite on, I use some antiseze so I have no corrosion issues.

why did you need to take the caliper off to change a tire?? You just gotta pull the whole bracket out of the way, no problem...

Well I had to get a new rear tire....So I went with the M1...Love it so far. Took it out to scuff it up some after it was mounted...<start rant>which by the way was as much to mount that one tire as it was to mount all 4 of my 35 inch tires on my truck<end rant>. Anyho the tire hooked right up and pulled a wheelie right out of the drive way. So far no complaints. Rode for a few miles and go home to recheck all the bolts, wax the chain etc....Got into my shop and one brake bolt is missing and the other is loose. Dont know if i forgot to snug them down or what. I am just lucky someone is lookin out for me up there.

Do you guys use loctite on your rear brake? Just a thought cause now I have to go to the stealership for a new bolt and dont want this happening on a longer ride.
I did the same dayum thing a year ago except I didnt notice it untill the caliper had come all the way off the rotor.

Make sure to use the BLUE version of loctite. The red version is permanent. Just some important info.

I did the same dayum thing a year ago except I didnt notice it untill  the caliper had come all the way off the rotor.
+2.... I DID THE SAME DAM THING..............
sad.gif

why did you need to take the caliper off to change a tire?? You just gotta pull the whole bracket out of the way, no problem...
+1
Yikes! Can someone expand on this for me? I'm about to remove my rear wheel and head for the shop for a new tire mount and balance and don't want to run into any surprizes when I remove it. It looks pretty straight forward from what I see from reading the Owner's manual!?
Thanks in advance!

there is a bracket the caliper attaches to... when you pull the axle out, the bracket drops down and gives you enoughh clearance to get the wheel out

Safety wire and Loctite. But do it right. I Wired my front caliper bolts wrong the first time (straight shot instead of Tension side to Tension side) and Bullet train pointed me in the right direction. I had rear bolts come out on my old bike and the caliper migrated outward until it hit the rim! Real wake up there! Since then I do both!

Back