Tires

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I just put on a new rear tire, and was wondering if any of you folks used anything to kind of scuff the tire before taking it out on the road?

I've heard of guys using sandpaper, but I just use the road. Just go easy and go faster a little at a time.
wink.gif

It's best to just ride it and take it easy for the first 100-200 miles...at least half of those miles need to be in turns. Don't just jump on the freeway and do 200 miles and think your good to go and head for the twisties
tounge.gif

What they said. Just be a little easy on it for a little while.. It won't take long to scrub in. Dont be afraid to lean... just don't hammer the throttle in a turn for a bit..

What they said.  Just be a little easy on it for a little while..  It won't take long to scrub in.  Dont be afraid to lean... just don't hammer the throttle in a turn for a bit..
+1 & IT'S cold so ride a few miles just to warm them up

What they said.  Just be a little easy on it for a little while..  It won't take long to scrub in.  Dont be afraid to lean... just don't hammer the throttle in a turn for a bit..
Its not cold, I just came in from outside ...
Plenty warm
tounge.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

You need to put approx 100 miles on.
Gradually increasing your lean as you go.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1354"|1141428547 -->

I always steal one of my wife's scrubby pads from under the sink and scrub the tire down with soap and hot water to remove the mold release. It also roughens the surface up just a tad. After a good hot water rinse, the surface is almost sticky, ready to rock!

Its not cold, I just came in from outside ...
Plenty warm
tounge.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

You need to put approx 100 miles on.
Gradually increasing your lean as you go.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
thumbs-up.gif
 in baltimore, maryland its 39*

whats your temp .

<!--EDIT|BUTTER2BOY
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141432358 -->

the pic of me and sandpaper was just a joke man

seriosuly, I go out to a big mall parking lot and do slow tight figure 8's for about a half hour... or until the security guy comes bay to ask me what the heck I am doing. I feel alot better about getting that shiney protectant crud off there that way

I scrub mine in on the road. Like the other said, keep it light on the throttle for the first few hundred miles. Slab miles pretty much don't count
smile.gif
. Also, its better not to do the 100-200 miles all in one ride. Tires scrub in better if they get a couple of heat up/cool off cycles.

Scrubing the tire in basically does nothing for you guys. The reason the tires are slick is because of all the lubricants used in the molding process. Those tires have to go through several heat cycles in order to leach all those lubricants out of the tire. Sanding them or whatever really isn't going to help you do this process. After a normal 100 miles on a bike it has probaly went through 3 heat cycles ( three 33.3 mile trips). Hope this helps guys

while I agree with you about the truth in the heat cycling part, my testing has proven that removing to top most layer lube yields better stick when I crack the throttle before the 100 mile mark. I also DO not consider the tires broperly broken in until after 100+ miles [usually 150] on the odo. didnt mean to suggest that scuffing doign circles in a parking lot REAPLCES the heat cycle break in time, I do both, but start with the parking lot.
smile.gif
How's that for back peddling?
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "me english no do"|1141492003 -->

while I agree with you about the truth in the heat cycling part, my testing has proven that removing to top most layer lube yields better stick which I crack the throttle before the 100 mile mark.  I also DO not consider the tires broperly broken in until after 100+ miles [usually 150] on the odo.  didnt mean to suggest that scuffing doign circles in a parking lot REAPLCES the heat cycle break in time, I do both, but start with the parking lot.  
smile.gif
 How's that for back peddling?  
biggrin.gif
nice backstroke
tounge.gif

I've never done this on my Busa (because I want to keep the underside clean) but on my F4 I'd just do a burn out and lean the bike a little to get the edges - but if you have the patience, just give it about 150 miles and you should be good

Back