New PC Build starts

I will have to challenge your PC skills with my HP 486CX2 w/420M and 64M DRAM running a 14.4 modem and a hand painted 3 button mouse!

Ok after a couple year vacation from AMD stuff, I am going to try another one.. (always worked well but Intel stuff was running a lot cooler)Not sure that this is all top of the line stuff but should do ok for the little bit of gaming I do (COD/Fear/Flight sims)I got all this in and the Motherboard was "DOA" crapola..... new one on the way already
I have some addl stuff I already had that is going in but if you see any missing "toys" post up.... always open to "add-ons" :laugh:

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
nVidia nForce 780a SLI AM2+ Phenom FX / Phenom X4 / Phenom X2 / Athlon X2 /AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron Socket AM2+ 5200 MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard (this board will run 3 SLI video cards and I have 2)

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Agena Black Edition
Quad Core Processor 2.6Ghz Socket AM2+ 4MB Cache

CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology
TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2

LITEON DH-4O1S-08 SATA Blu-Ray Black Drive
(also have dual layer DVD burner)

Netgear
JGS524 ProSafe 24 Port Gigabit Rackmount (network upgrade)

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
X2 (also 1tb of addl storage sata raid 5)

CORSAIR|CMPSU-620HX RT (power supply)

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Dual DVI Video Card
X2 (and a slot for a third one if needed)

pc.jpg

All I can say to you man is best think about uppin that there Power Supply. I am running basically the same setup.

changes:

intel quad
xfx 780I mb tri-SLI capable
3 x GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb vid cards.
and the dominator I have is only 8000. :(

Also I wouldnt worry about the fans being to loud I have 14 on mine. :)

With basically nothing more than 1 video card I am about to kill my 850watt PS and I see you only gonna run a 620 Might have a few issues with that just as a heads up.

All I can say to you man is best think about uppin that there Power Supply. I am running basically the same setup.

changes:

intel quad
xfx 780I mb tri-SLI capable
3 x GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb vid cards.
and the dominator I have is only 8000. :(

Also I wouldnt worry about the fans being to loud I have 14 on mine. :)

With basically nothing more than 1 video card I am about to kill my 850watt PS and I see you only gonna run a 620 Might have a few issues with that just as a heads up.
I was thinking larger but this unit has 3 discreet 12v channels for 50Amps total... one channel for main board, and one each for each video card...

I thought that was going to be ok... you think not? (the larger PSU was actually cheaper too) only other option is the 1000W

EDIT: ok you got me paranoid... hows this for a PSU? (I ordered it already) so say YEA BABY!!

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008048&prodlist=celebros

I have a stack of dead ThermalTake PSU's and getting them warranted is nothing but an exercise in futility... they just ignore you.....

Last edited:
I am running an 850ToughPower. Look em up there are real nice PS's I am getting ready to bump mine up to a 1200w just to support the things I have.

Here is what I am currently running and about to kill:

Toughpower 850 - W0131

Here is what I am going to replace it with:

Toughpower 1200W - W0133

Might look at getting something a little more beefy....

Yeah Corsair makes a pretty nice PS. I thought about getting one of theirs but at the time there was a deal on the TP's.

I would say good choice though.

aww crud it is thermaltake.... I have 3 of them from other systems that have died (about 18 months on each) and Thermaltake is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with on warranty... they just screw you around till you get tired of sending meaningless BS emails.....

their "High Reliability" has been "High crapola" for me...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have had bad luck with Thermaltake. They have treated me very well. I have replaced 4 ps's and some other cooling items a few times with em with no problems.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck with Thermaltake. They have treated me very well. I have replaced 4 ps's and some other cooling items a few times with em with no problems.
well now I feel bad, I just checked the PSU's they are "Enermax" units... my bad..... I did order the 1000W PSU however..

Back