New Kaw - King of the Road??

OnAHiABusa

Registered
Hey guys. I don't do a good job of keeping up with the new bikes, but my brother in law ( sometimes full of it ) comes over this weekend and tells me that Kawasaki has just come out with some beast that has 185 hp and weighs 385 lbs. Supposed to be the new king of the road. Any truth to this ??

I assume he is referring to the new ZX10R. It is indeed a hell of a bike and quite trick and light but I cannot say if his numbers are correct. I believe he might be referring to the crank HP and not at the rear wheel. Very nice, very compact bike (as are all the new liter bikes), I would love to get one, but it is no replacment for my Busa.

He is refering to the HP at the engine crank. Whether he knows it or not. Rear wheel HP will be less than the Busa's rear wheel HP.

It will indeed be a very fast, agile, light bike. But not one intended to compete with the Busa. Different purposes.

Bring it on I am hungry. Nice bike but far less then a Busa and less the the zx12r

Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, inline four, 16 valves
Horsepower: (PS) 184* (at the crank with the wind coming in on a sunny day)

Displacement: 998cc

Starting: Electric

Bore x stroke: 76.0 x 55mm

Compression ratio: 12.7:1

Cooling: Liquid

Induction: Electronic fuel injection with four 43mm throttle bodies

Ignition: TCBI with digital advance

Transmission: Six-speed, close ratio with multi-plate wet clutch and back torque limiter

Frame: All-aluminum twin-tube backbone

Rake / trail: 24 degrees / 4.0 inches

Suspension, front: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with DLC coating, adjustable preload,compression and rebound damping

Suspension, rear: Gull-type aluminum swingarm, UNI-TRAK® linkage system, fully adjustable gas-charged shock with stepless compression/rebound damping, adjustable spring preload, adjustable ride height

Tire, front: 120/70ZR17

Tire, rear: 190/50ZR17

Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300mm hydraulic petal disc with radial-mounted, opposed four-piston caliper / Single 220mm hydraulic petal disc with radial-mounted caliper

Seat height: 32.5 inches

Dry weight: 375 pounds

Fuel capacity: 4.5 gallons

Wheelbase: 54.5 inches

Colors: Candy Thunder Blue, Lime Green, Pearl Blazing Orange, Black

* Maximum horsepower in top gear with Ram air - actual performance may vary.

** Price and specifications subject to change

guns.gif
race.gif

just read an article about it, the ZX-10 is suppose to be close to the 1000 in rwhp somewhere around 140...

the busa is still king

Bring it on I am hungry.  Nice bike but far less then a Busa and less the the zx12r

* Maximum horsepower in top gear with Ram air - actual performance may vary.
Ha!!!!   actual performance will vary. I don't see any Hayabusa advertised with this verbage. Kawasucky must be kiddin' themselves.

Thats like saying, " The New GSX1300R with 250rwhp**."

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>** Top gear with no rider. Your performance will vary</span>

Tell em' whose boss NE!

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075858644 -->

rofl5.gif

140, 150, hm, even if it had 160, does not match the torque the busa puts out.  Torque is what helps gain speed so quickly for the heavy busa.   Put your busa's on a diet and the Kawy 10 will be crying.

<!--EDIT|HayabusaEPT
Reason for Edit: "I lost my speling be.. oops spelling bee :)"|1075865893 -->

Just read on AMASoup where the big Kwak is going to be delayed in getting to dealers by about 60 days......must be some sort of glitch needs fixin'.

all i got to say is remeber the R1 ... 180 HP ....yea sure dyno is 152 at the crank .... what happened to the 180 that they were caliming ?? guess more blow than go !!
BUSA RULES >>>>>.......... STILL !!!
cool.gif

140, 150, hm, even if it had 160, does not match the torque the busa puts out.  Torque is what helps gain speed so quickly for the heavy busa.   Put your busa's on a diet and the Kawy 10 will be crying.
Right on bro. The Busa is the torque king (well lets not mention the new Triumph) and no liter bike can put out the same torque as a Busa with 300cc advantage (at least not stock vs. stock).

So lets not forget that "power" is a 2-part statistic, HP AND torque. That is exactly why Harley owners are so proud of their "power" yet are shocked in disbelief when they dyno their ride only to find out that a 600cc sportbike has far more HP (yet less torque). Very few bikes have both high HP and high torque numbers like the Busa.

Rest assured, the Busa is reasonably safe on the throne for now.

To me most all of the newer big sportbikes are fast... I just like my Busa.
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and just the other day a guy comes past me and says the usual... " hey thats the fastest bike on the planet... blah, blah, blah"
baaa.gif

I love it when my reputation preceeds me.
biggrin.gif

Rest assured, the Busa is reasonably safe on the throne for now.
Right you are! In my most humble and honest opinion...I think that other bike builders are not looking to beat out the Busa. I feel it's more along the lines of stylishness and looks. Power is probably, at the most,secondary in the minds of other motorcycle manufacturers. If you just look at how much motorcycle riding has caught on in the last two to three years it's almost astounding. It's basically a fad now. As with most fads, most people purchase bikes just to be part of the so-called 'in-crowd.' Manufacturers are probably putting most of their resources to cater to these individuals because they are probably a larger group than most of the novice riders. Still there are some who purchase for looks, weight, and comfort. I'm willing to wager that over half the people that buy motorcycles are fairly new to the game or have never ridden a bike before in their lives. Bike manufacturers are setting their sights on the current target market which is those so-called 'in-crowd' riders. Just my .02, but it could sometime be worth a million bucks. My bet is that the Busa will be KING for a while, or at least until the fad wears down. Then manufacturers can concentrate on building something that will top the Busa.

Brian

Just my .02 cents, but the '04 R1 also claims 180hp at the crank and weighs less than 385. That doesn't mean it's going to smoke a Busa. Bikes are about a lot more than horsepower. It's all about what you can put to the rear tire and what the rear tire can really put to the ground. Sometimes, a little bit of weight helps. When you think about it, when I had my '02 Honda Prelude, it was 200hp stock at the motor, weighed over 2500 pounds, and could still spin the tires with ease. Now take a bike weighing under 400 pounds, with only 20 less horsepower, and imagine trying to put all of that to the ground. It's not going to happen. With bike technology today, all bikes are fast. It's who has the balls and skill to use everything a particluar bike has to offer. I've seen guys on 600s smoke guys on 1000s becaue they know how to launch a bike. Sorry for the novel. Just my .02 cents.

Back