New Busa owner from Mississippi

Schirm94M

Registered
New owner of a 2001 Hayabusa that we inherited from my wife's grandfather. It needs a little TLC since he tried to ride it in to his mid 80s and laid it down on both sides before giving it up. Both side fairings are pretty scraped up and the front nose cone is cracked, as well as the clutch handle having the end broken off. Other than that the Bike seems mechanically in great shape and fires right up. Does anyone know a good place to source fairings? I ride a Goldwing and do my own maintenance on her so I know enough to be dangerous.

20230702_131808.jpg

IMG_20230416_135925_01.jpg

New owner of a 2001 Hayabusa that we inherited from my wife's grandfather. It needs a little TLC since he tried to ride it in to his mid 80s and laid it down on both sides before giving it up. Both side fairings are pretty scraped up and the front nose cone is cracked, as well as the clutch handle having the end broken off. Other than that the Bike seems mechanically in great shape and fires right up. Does anyone know a good place to source fairings? I ride a Goldwing and do my own maintenance on her so I know enough to be dangerous.

View attachment 1668415

View attachment 1668416
Welcome, that is one of my favorite Hayabusa colors...

If it were me, I'd fix the originals and repaint them in the same paint scheme if at all possible....OEM fairings are pretty hard to beat.

I didn't even think fixing them would be an option or possible. I will definitely look into that.
That's really too bad...finding replacement OEM fairings is a very hard and expensive venture....

There are a few "Chinesium" fairing companies out there but I have no experience with them...

A couple members on here use them @Kiwi Rider has had good luck with his....

I was looking up OEM fairing parts and I saw a few options like K1, K2, and K3. I am assuming that they signify a color code? And it looks like Grandpa was wrong, it is a 2002 according to the title, not a 2001.

Hi neighbor. I also have a Busa and a Wing. Live in Alabama. The Wing is a LOT more difficult to work on.

Plastics. Try Partszilla, Honda East, Dennis Kirk. There are a few other outlets. They may have to search for the right color.
Or buy used on EBAy etc. You may have to repaint.

OR: There are aftermarket plastics you can buy by the set. Cheaper than painting. But there are a lot of cheap poor fitting ones. Search on the topic here. Lots of folks here have run down the good and bad ones for us all.

I like doing long distance riding so I will probably keep the bags. I have read the Busa makes a pretty good sport tourer.
Depends on what you want. The Wing is more purpose built for touring. The Busa is a great bike don't get me wrong. I love mine. It is quite capable of trans continental rides. At stupidly high speeds if you want.

But it's not a Wing.

I'm tall. The best I can do is about 3 days on the Bus. Just no way to stretch out.

I can lounge on the Wing.

You sit in a Busa. You sit on a Wing.

Congrats on the new bike! She's a beauty!
Busas make excellent sport touring configs
Try searching this site using keyword 'Busawing' for sport touring ideas
I didn't even think fixing them would be an option or possible. I will definitely look into that.

If you have the time n patience, scrape marks like that can be sanded, buffed, primed n repainted. It's a project, for sure, but sounds like you'll be keeping the bike. IMO, all the Busa projects require time n patience.
Good luck!

[EDIT] Keep the Corbin Beetle Bags

:welcome: aboard.
Nice bike, As mentioned before, try to paint the original parts, the aftermarket ones might be a pain to fit. I like to do long trips on my hayabusa, and even tho I dont really like the looks, i would love to have those kind of bags for my long trips, if they didn't cost so much I would get a set.
Theres a bunch of info in this site and lots of people willing to help, you came to the right place, enjoy :thumbsup:

I was looking up OEM fairing parts and I saw a few options like K1, K2, and K3. I am assuming that they signify a color code? And it looks like Grandpa was wrong, it is a 2002 according to the title, not a 2001.
Exactly right!
Have a look at the silver model on the 2002 line up . . .
(click on the image below to open a window with the pic. . .)

Attachments

• Suzuki_GSX_1300R _Hayabusa_1999-2000.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 37
Exactly right!
Have a look at the silver model on the 2002 line up . . .
(click on the image below to open a window with the pic. . .)

2002 is better anyway.
99 and 2000 are the same, 01 has it's own ecu, and 02 to 07 are the same.
The 99-01 ecu and electronics can be upgraded to the 02-07, as the 02-07 ecu can be flashed, and 99-01 cannot.

Back