~~~  Dirtbike for my son  ~~~

Michelle,
            Just last Christmas I purchased my 10 yr old a dirtbike with the money you all donated. My son has ridden the heck out of it and we have a blast every day. We got him the CRF100 because of his age and size but also because it had a manual clutch and 6 speed trans. You might want to think about the automatic vs manual clutch... Im sooooo glad that we went with the manual clutch, Evan had it mastered in about 2 days. The CRF 50 or 80 are great starter bikes.... I just received a book in the mail from Honda on the specifics of each so PM me your address and I will send it to you.......

CAp
Yeah, I thought about you when I posted this thread up...I know your son is older, so I know the bike was larger...

Glad to hear he's enjoying it though!
cool.gif

Thanks for the offer on the book...PM on it's way...

Can I choose an automatic vs. manual clutch on that Honda I posted up? Or is it only available on a different model?
rock.gif

My son is 10 and I bought him a Yamaha TTR90 with a 3 speed auto clutch. I thought it would be best he learned the basics before throwing in the manual shift. So far he is doing well on it...I take him to the local track and the have one for beginners. I'm probably going to get a used dirt bike late this year so we can ride together.

Michelle,
            Just last Christmas I purchased my 10 yr old a dirtbike with the money you all donated. My son has ridden the heck out of it and we have a blast every day. We got him the CRF100 because of his age and size but also because it had a manual clutch and 6 speed trans. You might want to think about the automatic vs manual clutch... Im sooooo glad that we went with the manual clutch, Evan had it mastered in about 2 days. The CRF 50 or 80 are great starter bikes.... I just received a book in the mail from Honda on the specifics of each so PM me your address and I will send it to you.......

CAp
Yeah, I thought about you when I posted this thread up...I know your son is older, so I know the bike was larger...

Glad to hear he's enjoying it though!  
cool.gif

Thanks for the offer on the book...PM on it's way...

Can I choose an automatic vs. manual clutch on that Honda I posted up?  Or is it only available on a different model?  
rock.gif
CRF50; 3 speed auto (foot shift, no clutch)
CRF70; 3 speed auto
CRF80; 5 (i think)speed with clutch
CRF100; 6speed with clutch
etc....etc.....etc....

The 50 and the 70 are available only with the 3 speed. They are designed to be merely stepping stones to larger machines. He'll outgrow it before you know it, but again, resale makes that no big deal.

The TTR is a good machine too. Honda just has the rep for reliability, hence the stronger resale.

Honda is a damn good choice, avoid any off brands as they are hard to get parts for. Stock up on levers, bars, plugs and possibly front and rear fenders.

One thing about the Honda CRF50 is that there is a decent aftermarket for them, seriously. BBR makes all sorts of wicked aftermarket parts for them. Adults race em all over the U.S. A couple of the guys at work have em' "Diaper Bikes" as they are called. One is a 124CC and the other is 113cc I think. Anyway, they are all tricked out so you may not have to sell the 50 just keep modifying it to suit...
wink.gif

Thanks Rev...we're feeling pretty good about the decision; helps to see so many here have had good experiences...I'm sure the hubby will mod the hell out of this bike as soon as Sam's up and running like a pro. He's already found aftermarket exhaust...

I think the hubby's heading out tonight to buy it...I'll post up pics...it's going to be difficult to keep it a secret 'til Sept (Sam's birthday), but WE HAVE TO...

cool.gif

Okay, we just own one of the little ones...
tounge.gif

The other two are for a friend's sons...
cool.gif

Hope pic isn't too large...
smile.gif

dirtbikes.jpg

Mike's been emailing me stuff he's finding on Ebay for the 50cc beast...I can tell this is going to be HIS project as much as our son's!
laugh.gif

There is so much many aftermarket companies w/ "go fast" stuff for these bikes.....they are so much fun.

Back