~~~  Dirtbike for my son  ~~~

Naw...he's not too young!  He'll do fine!  And yes, the current CRF50R is the same bike as the XR50R.  Just a little different plastic and graphics.  They changed the model # to coincide with the rest of the line to make the younger ones feel like they were on the "same" type of ride...the entire line of 4-stroke Honda dirtbikes are now CRF.
Little sucker is bulletproof tho...no kidding!  You and your hubby will have a blast riding it too!
And when he grows out of it.....122cc bigbore, BBR frame, disc brakes, real forks, (it just has springs in them now..)  wider bars...5 speed tranny with a clutch.  
I'm tellin ya, they are a hoot!  Do that and put street tires on it and youve got a mini supermotard!!
Over here on the west side this is big stuff!
laugh.gif

You sure you own a Busa?  Sounds like you may just be a dirt biker at heart!  
tounge.gif

Oh, hubby's already found after market exhaust for this little Honda, so I'm sure he's laid out a path to upgrade to bigger bikes ASAP...we're getting the Honda in the coming weeks; it's for Sam's 5th birthday...I think I'm setting myself up though - when my kids turn 16, they're going to expect a Viper or something!  
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
 Dang......I THINK that was a busa I looked at in my shop this morning!!! LOL!!

I'm one of those guys that believes ya just can't have too many bikes!  If I had the room (and the $) I'd have 20 or 30 of 'em!!  I like them all!!  We are currently dirtbike free, got a couple of atv's (honda's)  But that could change......

A bunch of buddies and I have talked about getting some 50's and making them motards...pick a parking lot, set up some cones and go at it!!
Hell, you've only got a foot or so to fall!!
biggrin.gif
At one of my son's races, during intermission, the track put on a "Dad's Race"......It was so ugly. All the dads lined up at the start with nothing but helmets......I got the hole shot amongst about 8 other dads, Got taken out in turn 2 by an OUTTA CONTROL DAD trying really hard to impress his son. So dam funny, as I was coming around turn 2 I get a quick glimspe of my son jumping up and down(I'm really thinking that I'm the SHIZZZLE now).....BAM!!!! I get taken out and finished next to last. I was sore for 2 weeks.

So my point is: crashing the lil' bikes, IMO can be harder than a big dirtbike!!!

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

Mike and I are thinking about a dirt bike for our son, Sam.  Mike really wanted to get him an ATV, but most people say that the two wheeler is safer than the four wheeler...

Plus, the little dirt bikes have training wheels nowadays, just to help kids along...
cool.gif

So, this is what we've narrowed our choice down to...and we've agreed that gear is a must...WHEW!  
smile.gif

Anyone else buy dirt bikes for their 5 year olds?  Good experience?  Good dirt bike?  Opinions?
My son started racing his XR-50 at 4 yrs.....Get it for him.  Its so much fun.  The XR-50 is the best entry level bike around......almost maintenance free, gas and go!

Here is my son in Okinawa at 6 y/o.
It is so cool to see young kids get into our sport!

Either you've done some serious mods to an XR50, or thats a KTM!!

Good form by the way!
Yeah....thats him at 6.....on a KTM Pro Senior 50, He outgrew the XR really quick. Actually it was probably more me wanting him on a 2 stroke water cooled bike......THAT THING WAS SO FAST! I loved it, he liked it!

ices_rofl.gif

Not laughing at your two weeks of pain there, but I can just see you thinking "yeah, I am the SHIZZZLE"
tounge.gif
Then, CRASH...ouch...limps away...

My hubby will insist on a "Dad's Race"...oh, that's going to be funny...
laugh.gif

Very cool Dads!!!  
cool.gif

Here's a stupid question...but, I'm a dirt bike newbie...do you have to get 'em insured?  I know if I finance, I do, but if we buy it outright, do we have to get insurance in case he gets hurt?  Or would that all be covered by my medical?  I'm just trying to think of everything to ask "the experts" here since the hubby only sees "WE GET TO BUY A DIRT BIKE!"  
laugh.gif
Not sure on the insurance thingy.....I have heard of a few states requiring some sort of insurance.

ices_rofl.gif

Not laughing at your two weeks of pain there, but I can just see you thinking "yeah, I am the SHIZZZLE"  
tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Oh....may I add, that most of the DADs did not have their own helmets, we all had to wear our kids helmets. My head hurt so BAD, I could not get that sucker OFF to save my life. I think I about ripped my ears off.

I got pictures, I'll try to post them later.

ices_rofl.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Oh....may I add,  that most of the DADs did not have their own helmets,  we all had to wear our kids helmets.  My head hurt so BAD,  I could not get that sucker OFF to save my life.  I think I about ripped my ears off.  

I got pictures,  I'll try to post them later.
Yeah, pics are very much necessary right now...I want to see the Dads squeezing their melons in to kids' helmets!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

By the way...Get him gear!! Helmet & gloves (obvious), elbow protectors and shin protectors, maybe chest protector....

Makes it so that when he does fall, it doesnt hurt!!!(as much!):D

those things really hold their resale value. ive seen 10yr old ones go for over 1200 bones at the track. perfect pit bikes!

No kiddin'

I want one of those all chrome Z50's early 80's vintage I think...

go for it...i work with a guy here locally that bought that same bike and added the training wheels for his 3 year old...he has since taken the training wheels off after a year or so and his kid still loves it!!!  that is how I started oh so many moons ago, but without training wheels...my dad was hard core...made me get back up and on it after a crash!!  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|05bulldog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121494115 -->

So I should have no problem selling this to YOU guys when the time comes?!
laugh.gif

That's good to know...
biggrin.gif

. . . kind of worried we're starting something too early, but if you ask him, he's ready...
No such thing as too early.  You look at all the greats at ANY endeavor and you see they are the ones who started at a young age.  Mozart at three years old comes to mind right away.  Most of the greats on motorcycles started young, skiers, golfers, scientists (Richard Feynman).  All of them started very young.

In fact, get one for the three-year old, too!

--Wag--
Take me for an example...I started out at a young age practicing as a flunkie,,,and look at me now!!! LOL!!!
The hondas are better than the suzukis. The suzukis are low on power even when the screw is turned out all the way.

. . . kind of worried we're starting something too early, but if you ask him, he's ready...
No such thing as too early.  You look at all the greats at ANY endeavor and you see they are the ones who started at a young age.  Mozart at three years old comes to mind right away.  Most of the greats on motorcycles started young, skiers, golfers, scientists (Richard Feynman).  All of them started very young.

In fact, get one for the three-year old, too!

--Wag--
Take me for an example...I started out at a young age practicing as a flunkie,,,and look at me now!!! LOL!!!
The hondas are better than the suzukis. The suzukis are low on power even when the screw is turned out all the way.
Oh no...so my Sam could wind up like YOU?! Wait, I need to rethink this...
tounge.gif

ices_rofl.gif

I don't think you need to insure it... I was trespassing on municipal property with my enduro and when I handed the police my insurance card he stated that since I wasn't on the road it wasn't neccasery to have insurance. I even asked him if I needed insurance and he said No only vehicles that are street legal need to be insured... Keep in mind that I am in PA so it might be different for you or he could have been completely clueless... But a quick call to the DMV will probably clear it up...
Good luck and I wish my mom and dad had been that cool when I was a tot! FYI He caught me while I was relieving myself.
smile.gif

Mike and I are thinking about a dirt bike for our son, Sam.  Mike really wanted to get him an ATV, but most people say that the two wheeler is safer than the four wheeler...

Plus, the little dirt bikes have training wheels nowadays, just to help kids along...
cool.gif

So, this is what we've narrowed our choice down to...and we've agreed that gear is a must...WHEW!  
smile.gif

Anyone else buy dirt bikes for their 5 year olds?  Good experience?  Good dirt bike?  Opinions?
My son started racing his XR-50 at 4 yrs.....Get it for him.  Its so much fun.  The XR-50 is the best entry level bike around......almost maintenance free, gas and go!

Here is my son in Okinawa at 6 y/o.
It is so cool to see young kids get into our sport!

Either you've done some serious mods to an XR50, or thats a KTM!!

Good form by the way!
Yeah....thats him at 6.....on a KTM Pro Senior 50,  He outgrew the XR really quick.     Actually it was probably more me wanting him on a 2 stroke water cooled bike......THAT THING WAS SO FAST!  I loved it, he liked it!
The current crop of super minis make so much power it is amazing!!

I wish they made that kind of power when I was that age!!

Hell, I would have been happy with a moped when I was a kid...damn 10-speed is all I ever got!
mad.gif

Signed -
A Disgruntled Daughter...
laugh.gif

Michelle,
Just last Christmas I purchased my 10 yr old a dirtbike with the money you all donated. My son has ridden the heck out of it and we have a blast every day. We got him the CRF100 because of his age and size but also because it had a manual clutch and 6 speed trans. You might want to think about the automatic vs manual clutch... Im sooooo glad that we went with the manual clutch, Evan had it mastered in about 2 days. The CRF 50 or 80 are great starter bikes.... I just received a book in the mail from Honda on the specifics of each so PM me your address and I will send it to you.......

CAp

Back