MYTHOS went down hard

I've started looking at wether or not my 2008 ZX-14 will be able to run again. The bike has a great sentimental value to me so I'll be satisfied if I can just get it running again even if I can't go fast on it anymore. Many of the smaller components like master cylinders will need to be replaced. All fairings, for sure.

I've taken a quick look at the steering neck, steering locks and forks. So far, those look ok but I will be returning to look closer at those and the frame under the fuel tank and the tail.

The engine obviously is a concern being that the pulser cover ground through on the road.
crank.sensor.cover.crash.jpg

All I could find was one small chunk of aluminum and about three pieces of sand stuck to the timing rotor, all approximately in the same location (white arrow in pic). If the engine had been turning when the cover wore through, the rotor would also have been turning and I doubt that chip of aluminum could have clung to the rotor under those circumstances. There was no other debris found in the crankshaft sensor chamber. The cover itself had about ten pieces of sand in it.
crank.sensor.inspection.crash.jpg

I found about a teaspoon of coolant had leaked out of the bike since I placed a drain pan under the oil pan five days ago. I was concerned the coolant was leaking from a crack in the engie or from a seam that had been opened. I checked the radiator and the coolant level was a little low but I was able to see it. I drained the engine oil and about the normal amount came out. The engine didn't loose much oil even if it was running which I doubt. There was no coolant in the drained engine oil. I've decided the coolant leak probably was from the coolant reservoir which probably recieved a gush from the radiator as the bike lay on it's LH side for twenty minutes. The reservoir has an overflow tube that vents near the kick stand so coolant could easily be dripping down from that three foot long tube for a while.

I'm sure I'll have some questions over the course of fixing the bike up. I guess everything looks about as good as I could expect at this point but any input is appreciated and please keep an eye on the thread over the months to come. I'll keep putting pictures of what I'm doing up.

Last edited:
She is looking very repairable for sure bro , once you get everything cleaned up , engine wise , then sealed , and everything else of course ready , thinking she will be fine . You got yourself a job of course , but nothing you cant handle bro , and this rebuild is reacquainting your connection to the Kawasaki beast , it will be great therapy for you .

So I'll offer general pointers as I feel like they will make a difference.

First I concur with the engine observations you've made. It probably wasn't spinning for long and if it was the likelihood of internal damage is minimal.

I would recommend you flush it first statically using a mixture of ATF and kerosene. Thick enough to grab any particles and thin enough to get into all the crevices. And fill it up to the filler neck to get the top to bottom covered. Let it set overnight. Drain it all out. Check for anything that doesn't belong.

Then a mixture of ATF and cheap motor oil to normal capacity. Start and let it idle only and bring it up to operating temp. Drain and inspect. Change filter and do a 2nd idle session with straight cheap oil.

Anything like sand or small aluminum flakes should get removed. Anything smaller would normally get filtered out anyway. Not much you do about tiny stuff except let the filter do it's job.

I agree with your likely coolant leak source. If it's statically leaking now it will statically leak again. I'd just do straight water and save the hazard of antifreeze disposal.

Once you hear it run again, you'll want to fix everything!!

Frankly, the engine damage doesn't sound too bad. Now I'm certainly not the first person to ask for engine advice but your analysis to date seems logical.

On the other hand, the restoration will be expensive and time-consuming and in the end, you'll have a restored ZX14 that buyers will want to get for free because it's been down. The problem with restorations is that the journey is the prize, and when you're done there is a moment of euphoria but then you want to travel the journey again. That's what happened to me. I got used to coming home from work and having a package of cool or really, really cool waiting at the door. But this is an expensive hobby and it's as addictive as any drug.

So really ask yourself why you are doing this and are you really willing to pay the cost of getting her back on the road. When you get done putting it back together you will be within a stone's throw of what it's worth uncrashed. So this is spending money, not investing it.

I get it if you need to close this chapter and end on top of the crash. My crashes were much less severe than yours but I feel you, I jumped up from the road and never even considered abandoning the bike. I think you really have to set aside those emotions and think it through logically. I did that and decided I didn't care about the money I would lose, I wanted the journey of building the bike I wanted. I'm still pretty sure I made the right decisions and those days of building the bike were frustrating, fun, and an amazing learning experience.

Whatever you decide, we would like to go along for the ride!

I feel you on this, years ago a buddy of mine dropped his brand new GSXR1100, it had 1500kms on it and he was cut off and ended up in a field...

Even before he was recovered, he was all over trying to get the bike resurrected....of course his energy was contagious and he and I worked tirelessly on that bike...he didn't have a garage so it was in my garage.

Before he knew it, he had a lot more into the bike than he realized but that didn't phase him a bit, he was determined to get this bike back together and to ride it again....and he did....and you will......

Absolutely!! It will be a great learning experience.

I'd like to keep the info restricted to ninjaforums but we have so little traffic over there.
I told u no need to keep it to the ninja forum your a big part of the family and if we accept you riding a kaw we definitely wanna help you rebuild it. As far as those pics I've dealt with a lot worse looking and put em back together with no issues. I see nothing that would cause me to do more then maybe a couple extra oil changes when it's put back together. Keep the pics coming and let us know what we can do to help. As much as I hate to say it winter isn't far off so might need to look into some heated storage to work on it. Of course the fairings will have to be replaced and I'm not 100 percent on the setup on the zx but I would suggest to plan on a new front stay and probably the subframe. I found on the busa I just resurrected that the subframe was tweaked just slightly and had the tail crooked and the front stay for tweaked enough that of course the brand new oem fairings don't fit completely perfect and with that and the used extra worn triple tree the brake lever is just slightly touching the dash so I'll be most likely tearing that down over the winter to replace a few more pieces.

Thanks fellas. I'm not persuaded to give up just yet. I would sure consider buying a used Gen1 ZX-14 and painting it to look just like my 08 and that would be sufficient but I don't know if I'll go that rout just yet.

I checked the oil drain pan today and I did see several grains of sand in it. I usually do find some sand in the drain pan because it falls off the bike when I drain oil....so the jury's still out on that one. I Will need to drop the oil pan to check closer for debris.

So I'll offer general pointers as I feel like they will make a difference.

First I concur with the engine observations you've made. It probably wasn't spinning for long and if it was the likelihood of internal damage is minimal.

I would recommend you flush it first statically using a mixture of ATF and kerosene. Thick enough to grab any particles and thin enough to get into all the crevices. And fill it up to the filler neck to get the top to bottom covered. Let it set overnight. Drain it all out. Check for anything that doesn't belong.

Then a mixture of ATF and cheap motor oil to normal capacity. Start and let it idle only and bring it up to operating temp. Drain and inspect. Change filter and do a 2nd idle session with straight cheap oil.

Anything like sand or small aluminum flakes should get removed. Anything smaller would normally get filtered out anyway. Not much you do about tiny stuff except let the filter do it's job.

I agree with your likely coolant leak source. If it's statically leaking now it will statically leak again. I'd just do straight water and save the hazard of antifreeze disposal.

Once you hear it run again, you'll want to fix everything!!
Thanks, @TallTom . A ZX-14ninjaforum member gave me a similar suggestion. He recommended diesel fuel which would probably have approximately the same effect as ATF and kerosene. He was recomending pouring it from the top end all the way through. Then flush some more if I feel any granules grinding while turning the motor slowly by hand.

It will take some work before I hear the bike run. I would need a new instrument cluster and probably a few other OEM electronics before it could start.

On the ZX-14, the tail frame is welded to the side frame. The side frame bolts onto the main frame that goes over the engine to the steering neck. It's possible to replace the side/tail frame. I see a couple on Ebay right now for $70 shipped. I checked Babbits for a new side/tail frame and they want $3,600! :laugh: No. I'll take a used scraped one and paint it.

The engine is still the deciding factor. I'll be dropping the oil pan soon to have a look in there.

Here's what I found with the side/tail frame. The corner of the side is actually the part that broke. I'm sure the tail is bent. It must have provided the leverage that broke the back corner of the side rail.
0007.tail.frame.cracked.png

Last edited:
+1 the restoration
And if your presentation of the process (here on this forum) is even close to your previous 'tutorials' (brake jobs, wheel removals, fairing disassembly, et al), many of us will not only be entertained, but maybe even educated

Unless one of your options is replacing the K with a Gen 3, then I'd vote for that

I told u no need to keep it to the ninja forum your a big part of the family and if we accept you riding a kaw we definitely wanna help you rebuild it. As far as those pics I've dealt with a lot worse looking and put em back together with no issues. I see nothing that would cause me to do more then maybe a couple extra oil changes when it's put back together. Keep the pics coming and let us know what we can do to help. As much as I hate to say it winter isn't far off so might need to look into some heated storage to work on it. Of course the fairings will have to be replaced and I'm not 100 percent on the setup on the zx but I would suggest to plan on a new front stay and probably the subframe. I found on the busa I just resurrected that the subframe was tweaked just slightly and had the tail crooked and the front stay for tweaked enough that of course the brand new oem fairings don't fit completely perfect and with that and the used extra worn triple tree the brake lever is just slightly touching the dash so I'll be most likely tearing that down over the winter to replace a few more pieces.
Heated storage???? Here? There's one car shop in town and it's about the size of a three car garage with an office. I'll be roughing it like I grew up doing. Gotta admit, it's awful damned hard to get myself out in the dead of winter to work on bikes holding ice cold tools but I think I'll have to some motivation this year.

I see almost a complete set of fairings for $400 on Ebay. They need repainting but I'd be doing that anyway unless I find a set of Midnight Sappire Blue ones.

The top stay broke off, aluminum bolts! I'll bet it's ok. I think the deer ripped the whole top right off. Glad I somehow didn't get hit by it...unless I did in which case I'm even more grateful I'm not dead.

Subframe, yep. See above. Unfortunately, the subframe on the ZX-14 is more than just the tail but I can deal with that. I always wanted to cut some extra lightening holes in the side rails anyway. Seventy bucks, now I can do it! The mudflap that goes under the tail and gas tank was torn off on the left too. Ebay.

BTW, a ticket from the Sheriff's Dept was in my PO Box today. $175 for expired registration. I thought he let me go on that. He never gave me the ticket. Oh well.

I'm not trying to argue the point of going without renewing your vehicle registrtion but I actually saved money by taking the ticket. LOL my last registration was through 2016. I'da spent $300 had I registered it every two years including this year which would have taken me through 2022.

Last edited:
Hey Mythos , that subframe took a hit , got to watchout with those bolts that hold it ( subframe ) to the main frame , they have a small allen key size to use to undue , but the fasteners are a big 10mm bolt , and Kawasaki red loctite these , man those heavy industries lads love that red chit.... I had a real hassle getting mine out and replaced to titanium . Might be good to get some heat on it bro , dont have to worry about the sub getting burnt . The subframe has 4 more long 10mm bolts ( changed to ti ) , 2 are positioned to form a lever weight bearing arrangement , half way along the length . Then the other 2 in the tail section , anchoring this leverage thing setup . I got every loaded bolt replaced in ti and then all else aluminum , junked all the bracketry that was not crucial , saved a ton . Held of from drilling out any of that bracing panels though , I kind of weigh like a rider and pillion ....lol
You are going to have some fun rebuilding with ti if you do . If I was in your position , I would get a good used or whatever ZX14R , the 1441cc donk . You could paint it like your Gen 1 , it would be so rare color and so nice , add a full pipe / good tune , bro , you got your full 200 whp machine back .

Aw man, glad you are ok. Deer are explosive in their actions and are so quick to move. every time I saw one in the south, I slowed to a crawl until they got out of the way. What was really scary was nighttime riding then you couldn't see them coming or going! You might still want to check yourself into an ER to make sure you didn't damage something inside your head and brain. I've heard of people waiting after a fall and some have died without any symptoms, so go get checked, please.

got to watchout with those bolts that hold it ( subframe ) to the main frame , they have a small allen key size to use to undue , but the fasteners are a big 10mm bolt , and Kawasaki red loctite these
Yes, Intended to replace those with Ti years ago and when I attempted to remove one, the hex started to stretch so I gave up. I heard it's a special allen key that goes in those bolts but it doesn't look any different than a normal one to me. Some heat should help soften the lock-tite. I guess I'll be finding out soon.

The subframe has 4 more long 10mm bolts ( changed to ti ) , 2 are positioned to form a lever weight bearing arrangement , half way along the length . Then the other 2 in the tail section , anchoring this leverage thing setup
I removed that tail support along with the bolts a long time ago. Had I left it in, the tail frame might have been undamaged. One other thing (incase you decide you want to remove yours), I've had to replace both tail pods before the crash because the plastic broke at the fasteners to the frame. I have a suspicion that may have been from vibes caused by not having the support members in place.

You might still want to check yourself into an ER to make sure you didn't damage something inside your head and brain. I've heard of people waiting after a fall and some have died without any symptoms, so go get checked, please.
Thanks groran1000. A CT scan could be big bucks though. I just looked and google says from $270 to 5000 dollars. I'd do it for $500 or less but given what I know about the crash, it's not a big risk to do without the brain scan. I was moving soon after the crash, I responded to someone saying my name, I knew what had happened and I was up and ok immediately after. Never so much as a headache. I'll talk to a physician about it though when I get in for a yearly exam.

while going through the process to grow more skin, I have often thought of you and yours that is ten fold mine.
I guess I wold take a larger surface area abrasion over a smaller deep abrasion but I found the larger less deep skin wounds I had took the longest to heal. I don't know if that was just because they were larger or if the presence of bone under the deeper abrasions made them skin over quicker. The shallow but large abrasion on my left calf didn't look bad right after the accident but it got worse within a day and the last of the scabs weren't gone until 5 weeks later.

Use Neosporine and keep it bandaged up. Don't fret if the scab melts away, it will do that if fluid is coming out and you use the ointment. I changed bandages once a day. When you get skin back and have it uncovered, use sunblock on it until it turns into real skin again. I expect that could be a full year for me.

I guess I wold take a larger surface area abrasion over a smaller deep abrasion but I found the larger less deep skin wounds I had took the longest to heal. I don't know if that was just because they were larger or if the presence of bone under the deeper abrasions made them skin over quicker. The shallow but large abrasion on my left calf didn't look bad right after the accident but it got worse within a day and the last of the scabs weren't gone until 5 weeks later.

Use Neosporine and keep it bandaged up. Don't fret if the scab melts away, it will do that if fluid is coming out and you use the ointment. I changed bandages once a day. When you get skin back and have it uncovered, use sunblock on it until it turns into real skin again. I expect that could be a full year for me.
Look who gives wound healing advice now! :)

You've earned it.

So , if you do have an experience on the negative side , like a motorcycle crash , like @Mythos , it is with honest concern , that we then want to pass on to all who care to listen , the benefits learned from our choice mistakes . Gravel rash , loss of tissue , skin graphs are certainly no fun , and tho that reality is bad enough , it can be considered mild , as 'possible' spinal injuries and the like sustained in motorcycle accidents . Mythos has chosen to wear full protective gear in his riding future , sound advice . I repost this pic , of one of my injuries from my low speed 1986 accident , a skin graphed site , 17 y.o , wearing jeans , not road rash exactly , but concreted wall .
DSCF1499.JPG

I too wear protective clothing to ride , but do also ride in kevlar jeans and light armored shirt for comfort .
Anyway this week marks the first time , I have had to get checked out for a fitness to operate a motorcycle , for my license , because of my old motorcycle injuries from past . I got through the examination , I passed no worries , but a reminder that the clock is maybe ticking , and threatening my passion to ride .

Back