MYTHOS went down hard

While out for a ride yesterday, 99% of the motorcyclists I came across were not wearing any protective gear other than a helmet, and any cruiser riders only had their salad bowl helmets as protective gear (and some had their leather vests)....

I even came across a guy who had a small toddler riding in front of him and the toddler was wearing only a diaper....
Hi. @ Mythos. So sorry for you. I am glad it was not to bad. The 2012 to 2016 seem to be the best. That if you ever get an other one. Take care of yourself if something seems wrong get it looked quick. As I was hit broadside by a bread truck, broke my right leg, went across 4 lanes of an un-divided hi way hit a Mustang as the front end crushed I stood up on the pegs jumped off. I did a somersault did not even scratch the helmet but broke both wrists. As that was going on a milk truck ran over my left ankle. At the hospital they put a cast on my wrist right leg and on the left leg from my knee to my toes. They did this over open cuts. After a few days my left leg hurt like Hel. I could no stand it any longer, so I went back to the doc. It was very badly infected. Doc said if I did not come in that day I would have lost my leg from my knee down. So make sure everything is OK or go to the doc.

While out for a ride yesterday, 99% of the motorcyclists I came across were not wearing any protective gear other than a helmet, and any cruiser riders only had their salad bowl helmets as protective gear (and some had their leather vests)....

I even came across a guy who had a small toddler riding in front of him and the toddler was wearing only a diaper....
If that diaper was Pampers, they can take a lot of......well, I'll leave that alone.

Hi. @ Mythos. So sorry for you. I am glad it was not to bad. The 2012 to 2016 seem to be the best. That if you ever get an other one. Take care of yourself if something seems wrong get it looked quick. As I was hit broadside by a bread truck, broke my right leg, went across 4 lanes of an un-divided hi way hit a Mustang as the front end crushed I stood up on the pegs jumped off. I did a somersault did not even scratch the helmet but broke both wrists. As that was going on a milk truck ran over my left ankle. At the hospital they put a cast on my wrist right leg and on the left leg from my knee to my toes. They did this over open cuts. After a few days my left leg hurt like Hel. I could no stand it any longer, so I went back to the doc. It was very badly infected. Doc said if I did not come in that day I would have lost my leg from my knee down. So make sure everything is OK or go to the doc.
Thanks Michael. Everything is looking fine with the injuries. There's barely the hint of a scab left on the largest. The scars are very level and smooth and they appear to be fading a bit at the edges. Some are growing hair so I'm hopeful all will eventually go back to normal with sweat glands and everything. The scars are still sensitive to pressure. If I kneel, I will get a big blister on the scar which isn't too much trouble but I try to avoid it.

That's crazy that they put casts over your open wounds! I'm glad you had that taken care of before it was too late. The only thing I wish I did differently was to have a CAT scan just to be sure. Everything seems totally ok with my old brain though.

The 2012 to 2016 seem to be the best. That if you ever get an other one.
2012 was the first year of the Gen2 ZX-14R. Are you saying the bike got worse after 2016? I'm contemplating putting a Gen2 motor in my 2008. Today I will be doing a preliminary inspection of the crankcase cover which ground through a bit. If there's dirt in there, I will be removing the valve cover and oil pan and attempting to flush any dirt back down. Maybe pull the crankshaft out and everything. In the end, I'll be happy if the bike runs again. I may discover that it's bent and unsafe to operate at speed but I would still keep it as a trophy of my life. If everything is ok with it, I might put a Gen2 engine in it like I always planned.

So far, I have located a set of used fairings in good condition and a used instrument cluster. Those would get it back to looking right. I see no signs that the frame was bent and the forks even look ok. No fluid leaking anywhere except the engine oil drained out of the hole in the crankcase cover.

Thanks Michael. Everything is looking fine with the injuries. There's barely the hint of a scab left on the largest. The scars are very level and smooth and they appear to be fading a bit at the edges. Some are growing hair so I'm hopeful all will eventually go back to normal with sweat glands and everything. The scars are still sensitive to pressure. If I kneel, I will get a big blister on the scar which isn't too much trouble but I try to avoid it.

That's crazy that they put casts over your open wounds! I'm glad you had that taken care of before it was too late. The only thing I wish I did differently was to have a CAT scan just to be sure. Everything seems totally ok with my old brain though.
Hi @Mythos I just got to read the thread today. I am the one that never takes good care of myself. I have to eat better and see the doc more now that I am going on 73. I just fix myself up. Like when an air power wheel with a meatal cutting disc o n it ,that broke and went right up my thumb cut my nail in half and cut to the bone. I just raped it with a DD Donut napkin and masking tape and that was it. So to every one here take care of yourself because we want you to stay safe.

2012 was the first year of the Gen2 ZX-14R. Are you saying the bike got worse after 2016? I'm contemplating putting a Gen2 motor in my 2008. Today I will be doing a preliminary inspection of the crankcase cover which ground through a bit. If there's dirt in there, I will be removing the valve cover and oil pan and attempting to flush any dirt back down. Maybe pull the crankshaft out and everything. In the end, I'll be happy if the bike runs again. I may discover that it's bent and unsafe to operate at speed but I would still keep it as a trophy of my life. If everything is ok with it, I might put a Gen2 engine in it like I always planned.

So far, I have located a set of used fairings in good condition and a used instrument cluster. Those would get it back to looking right. I see no signs that the frame was bent and the forks even look ok. No fluid leaking anywhere except the engine oil drained out of the hole in the crankcase cover.
Hi @ Mythos Make sure that the fork tubes do not have a slight bend in them. It may be the bike flopped around a bit.

Hi @ Mythos Make sure that the fork tubes do not have a slight bend in them. It may be the bike flopped around a bit.
Yup. The bike definitely tumbled. I hope it was only once from RH side to left but I know it at least did that. The fuel tank is crunched in on both sides and the damaged engine cover was facing up when I looked at the bike. That engine cover had to have been facing down when it ground through. Both sides took some hard hits. I will be removing the forks and attempting to install the stockers I have. If the stocks go in, the clamps aren't bent. If the clamps aren't bent, the Ohlins' should go back in just as smoothly. Already been advised to replace the lower triple tree because although they're not bent, the steering locks show a heavy blow on both sides like they hammered the lock tooth on the steering neck. We'll see though. Like I said, this thing might just end up a relic on display in my living room someday.

I removed the pulser cover from my crashed ZX-14 and there was one tiny chip of aluminum in there stuck on the timing rotor. I imagine that came from the pulser cover as it ground through on the road. I continue to recreate the crash looking at the evidence from the bike damage. It went down very hard on the right, slid 70 feet grinding a hole in the pulser cover while rotating 90 degrees until it was sliding top forward. By that time, the engine must have stopped. I don't see how the chip could have stayed on the timing rotor if it was spinning. Sliding top forward, the bike tipped bottom up from the appearance of scrapes almost on top of the seat cowl gas tank. That's good because the open pulser cover was lifted off the ground. The bike crossed the shoulder and then hit something in the ditch which dented the gas tank. The bike flipped taking air and landed almost mirror image on the lefthand side. There is an identical dent in the left hand top/side of the gas tank and no scratches so that was grass. The left hand handle bar almost broke off. The bike slid another hundred feet in the grass now facing backwards with open pulser cover facing up.

Looks to me like the way the bike moved, in the crash, it avoided any severe front end frame or fork impacts and even avoided gathering any gravel into the motor which I think probably was shut down at that point anyway. It was hitting the deer that ripped the cowl and side fairings off along with the instrument cluster which was way down the road. Looks like that bike's motor will run again with just a few OEM electronics replaced. I'll be inspecting under the valve cover for debris just to be sure. Also, the tail frame might be bent but it doesn't look as though it is from a quick visual inspection. I find piecing the crime back together from the clues so fascinating I had to share!

I removed the pulser cover from my crashed ZX-14 and there was one tiny chip of aluminum in there stuck on the timing rotor. I imagine that came from the pulser cover as it ground through on the road. I continue to recreate the crash looking at the evidence from the bike damage. It went down very hard on the right, slid 70 feet grinding a hole in the pulser cover while rotating 90 degrees until it was sliding top forward. By that time, the engine must have stopped. I don't see how the chip could have stayed on the timing rotor if it was spinning. Sliding top forward, the bike tipped bottom up from the appearance of scrapes almost on top of the seat cowl gas tank. That's good because the open pulser cover was lifted off the ground. The bike crossed the shoulder and then hit something in the ditch which dented the gas tank. The bike flipped taking air and landed almost mirror image on the lefthand side. There is an identical dent in the left hand top/side of the gas tank and no scratches so that was grass. The left hand handle bar almost broke off. The bike slid another hundred feet in the grass now facing backwards with open pulser cover facing up.

Looks to me like the way the bike moved, in the crash, it avoided any severe front end frame or fork impacts and even avoided gathering any gravel into the motor which I think probably was shut down at that point anyway. It was hitting the deer that ripped the cowl and side fairings off along with the instrument cluster which was way down the road. Looks like that bike's motor will run again with just a few OEM electronics replaced. I'll be inspecting under the valve cover for debris just to be sure. Also, the tail frame might be bent but it doesn't look as though it is from a quick visual inspection. I find piecing the crime back together from the clues so fascinating I had to share!
I think you've sort of proven frame sliders don't do much good.

I recently tested the frame sliders on the busa and I'd have to agree. My wife backed the car into the bike and knocked it over. The lower side fairing was damaged. The top of the side fairing had a few scratches. If the frame slider didn't protect the bike when it was tipped over, i can only imagine the usefulness going at road speed.

That be awesome. I don't see why they don't make full leathers with the this tech. I would like to protect all of myself, not just my upper body.
If u get the chance to put your hands on one of the airbag vests you'll probably notice pretty quick why a full leathers one hasn't been done yet. It has been about 2 years but a guy I ride with had the alpinestars airbag he could switch between jackets and his only complaint was how heavy it was but with the way he rode he figured out was worth the extra safety.

I wouldn't consider this crash a typical example of a frame slider test or anything else. So far everything that was likely to result in complete destruction somehow resulted only in severe damage to an easily replaced part or damage was avoided all together....so far anyway. I hope my luck holds out with the frame. The tail is mighty flimsy and it was sliding backwards as I can see from the dirt in the tail light.

If the frame slider didn't protect the bike when it was tipped over, i can only imagine the usefulness going at road speed.
Yeah, I had considered removing them years back incase I actually ever had a crash. I always thought a garage tip over was a lot more likely and that they would reduce damage in that situation, at least to the side fairing. In a RH fall, the ZX-14 pulser cover is probably going to take a hit no matter what. A HD pulser cover or pulser cover slider would probably be better if either of those were available.

The frame slider on the RH side broke off. One bolt ripped out at the accessory mount and the slider mount broke at the other bolt which was the engine mount. The accesory mount is just an empty bolthole. Fortunately, the slider mount broke instead of the engine mount.

Now you have me wondering how the hell there is no external damage to any of the rest of the engine on the RH side. The bottom part of the side fairing and part of the lower are even still there. Had to be the frame slider. It must have held the bike up for at least part of the slide and it would have inhibited the bottom over top flip over until that happened on the grass instead on the road. I'm not trying to make a case for frame sliders. The last ZX-14 owner who had LSL sliders like mine had similar damage but the slider broke his engine mount. The bike was junked. Even though it's a loss, you see how I feel me and the bike were both dealt a royal flush.

Last edited:
I ha
If u get the chance to put your hands on one of the airbag vests you'll probably notice pretty quick why a full leathers one hasn't been done yet. It has been about 2 years but a guy I ride with had the alpinestars airbag he could switch between jackets and his only complaint was how heavy it was but with the way he rode he figured out was worth the extra safety.
I have the alpinestar airbag jacket. It is quite heavy. But most of it is the integrated back protector.

@Mythos the legacy and lessons of your crash won't be soon lost.

I showed your injury pictures and told the story to my riding buddy...after which he looked at his very light mesh summer gloves (cheapie brand type) and the next thing he says is he would like to stop by the bike shop before we go on our ride so he can buy a new set of gloves...which he did.

He has also started wearing ballistic riding pants verses the jeans he normally rode in...so here's a guy on a Harley wearing proper gear....he gets a little grief from his fellow HD riders but he told them he'd rather be safe than stylish...

I want to tell all the bikers around here about what happened to me but I know many would let it go in one ear and out the other if they bothered to listen at all. I saw a guy on a Harlie trike yesterday wearing shorts and no helmet. This is a guy entering his twilight years and he's a bit less likly to weather a crash than me. I'm getting close to my twilight years too. Maybe it's better this crash happened when it did.

I want to tell all the bikers around here about what happened to me but I know many would let it go in one ear and out the other if they bothered to listen at all. I saw a guy on a Harlie trike yesterday wearing shorts and no helmet. This is a guy entering his twilight years and he's a bit less likly to weather a crash than me. I'm getting close to my twilight years too. Maybe it's better this crash happened when it did.
I see them in tee shirts, no gloves and sometimes shorts and sneakers around here all the time...

Most times I see the HD and metric cruiser riders wearing their leather vest with a tee shirt, jeans and salad bowl helmet. It's all about keeping up with appearances....the riders most hurt in crashes are these people because they don't wear protective gear.

A little while ago a middle aged lady was show-cased in the local rag for crashing her HD when she hit a pot hole while out riding with her husband, she was in the hospital as a result...they spoke on her bio as being very experienced with a racing background...I rode over to the spot where she crashed and for the life of me couldn't understand how:

A) she couldn't have avoided such a hole at the far ditch-side edge of the pavement, and
B) how she could have crashed as a result as it wasn't that bad...
C) as an experienced rider with a racing background could ride with a tee shirt and salad bowl helmet...that's how she ended up in the hospital because of not having the proper gear on...

A) she couldn't have avoided such a hole at the far ditch-side edge of the pavement, and
B) how she could have crashed as a result as it wasn't that bad...
C) as an experienced rider with a racing background could ride with a tee shirt and salad bowl helmet...that's how she ended up in the hospital because of not having the proper gear on...
I'm guessing an experienced rider with a racing background who never crashed until now. Unfortunately she learned by experience on this one instead of example. I can't talk, I learned the hard way that you don't wear jeans if your going over 35 mph.

Do you believe in alternate universes? I've always wondered. It struck me a couple weeks after the crash after thinking about how lucky I got sustaining only skin injuries, what if I died? ...and now I'm experiencing life in some other universe where I only got skinned hands and knees? Man that sucks to think I'm dead in some other universe and my kids are left behind without even having graduated from high school. On the other hand, why am I not now experiencing some universe where I'm filthy rich and live to 110 years old!!

Do you believe in alternate universes? I've always wondered. It struck me a couple weeks after the crash after thinking about how lucky I got sustaining only skin injuries, what if I died? ...and now I'm experiencing life in some other universe where I only got skinned hands and knees? Man that sucks to think I'm dead in some other universe and my kids are left behind without even having graduated from high school. On the other hand, why am I not now experiencing some universe where I'm filthy rich and live to 110 years old!!
You're having a dose of mortality. You realized how quick it can all be changed.

I had the same type thing in Feb of last year. Simple surgical procedure they said.

Complications! 4 days in ICU, taking on blood transfusions and having staff wearing legal suits asking me about next of kin, makes you inventory your life a bit.

I was like man is this how it ends? This sucks!

Back