My key/ignition switch is getting finicky

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2005 Busa. Lately, I'll park and lock the bike down. When I get back on, the key will turn out of lock, but balks at going into ignition. I can push down, turn back and forth, and it may take me six trys to get it to move into the start position.

Then sometimes it is smooth as silk. I'm worried that one day I will be somewhere far from where I want to be, and the damn key will not move into start, and I will be stuck.

You guys have any comments?

I've had the same problem when it rains. Get a tube of graphite and put some in the lock and use your key to work it into the tumblers.

(Burger King @ Jun. 14 2007,21:56) I've had the same problem when it rains. Get a tube of graphite and put some in the lock and use your key to work it into the tumblers.
+1....sounds like tumblers sticking

I have the same problem for 2 years and i have yet to not be able to turn it to on, i wouldnt worry about it. Mine got easier and easier to get it to on. i never once wasnt able to start it. Unless you really cant stand it, i would just leave it. a little lube probably will help.
beerchug.gif

From the beginning my 06's key has had a helluva time just dropping down inside the drum so I (can) twist it! Still does it after 15,000 miles. PITA!
mad.gif

I sprayed a tiny bit of WD 40 on my key and worked the ignition for a few cycles.....never acted up again.

I'm having the same problem now! I was count out in a heavy rain yesterday...NOW it makes sense!! I love this org...NCpanther01.//

It sounds like it needs some graphite lubricant. Go to a hardware store that makes keys and pick up a tube of it, then squeeze some in the ignition. That should do the trick.

I had this problem earlier this year. Bought the graphite lube from Autozone like the board recommended. Took me 10 minutes and I haven't had a problem at all.

WOW WATER CAUSING A PROBLEM!!

I was going to TEASE you and ask if you used a Hose or rode in the rain...
I HAVE ANOTHER EXAMPLE NOW THANKS!

" "

My ignition gets the same way if the bike is left outside for a couple days.

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 14 2007,21:19) I sprayed a tiny bit of WD 40 on my key and worked the ignition for a few cycles.....never acted up again.
I did the same thing on mine. It really works.
super.gif

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 14 2007,19:19) I sprayed a tiny bit of WD 40 on my key and worked the ignition for a few cycles.....never acted up again.
I did the exact same thing Devil Dog . Now every time I clean my chain I make a point of lubricating the key switch also .

It's been a few days. Be sure and get the WHITE and not the BLACK graphite. I got the black, and it will probably rub off black until the bike is history! Arghh! I didn't look, just assumed it would be the white.

It works great though.

My 99 did it from new, WD-40 ever so often in the hole with the little spray tube then no more sticking for a while. About once or twice a year, more if in the rain.

Back