~~~My Grandfather~~~

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I am so fortunate to have all of my grandparents.  I even had two great-grandmothers in my life for many years; one passed away at the age of 104...yep, 104...
smile.gif

But, someone I hold very near and dear to my heart is in the struggle of his life as I type.  My grandfather, Woodrow, has had his fair share of health problems in the last 6 years or so, and he's always hated going to the hospital.  His single wish in life is to not die in a hospital; to not be kept alive by machines...

He fell on Saturday in his bathroom, bashed his head pretty good, stopped breathing, his heart stopped several times, and now he's in critical condition hooked to machines.

Over the last several days I've gotten a clear picture of what's going on with him, and decisions his children made to hopefully get him back on his feet now worry them because we just don't know if he'll ever recover.  He had a pacemaker put in yesterday to help his heart, he's fighting an infection of some kind and is on antibiotics, and we hope in the coming days, the doctors can slowly ween him off of the respirator.  

His biggest battle is an aneurysm that's too big to operate on.  The doctors tell us it's a ticking time bomb.  It was discovered years ago when it was 4 sonimeters big; his doctor at the time didn't think my grandfather was a good candidate for surgery due to lung disease, and to be honest, I don't think they expected him to survive those years it took to grow to the size it is now.  This aneurysm has enlarged to 7 sonimeters big; a size that is generally not operated on and rarely even seen, thus it's expected to burst at any time.  My family is holding out hope for better information and answers once he gets through what he's facing right now.  We'll know more about the aneurysm and options we may have once he's off the respirator.

Sorry to go on, but I'm asking for good thoughts and prayers for my grandfather.  I think at the heart of all we are trying to do with him right now, we just want him off of the respirator and back home to live out his days.  He's incredibly special to everyone that knows him, and for me, I've spent the last several days just remembering every special thing I can about growing up with him.  I'm so thankful I had the time I've had; I know so many lose grandparents and even parents way too soon, so I know how lucky my family's been to have him around for so long now.

Prayer is a very big source of comfort for my grandmother and grandfather; your best thoughts and prayers for getting him home where he wants to be are so appreciated right now.  My grandmother's been seeking comfort from the prayers of her daughters and her pastor, and she's an ordained minister herself, so I know her faith is keeping her strong.

My grandfather is 86 years old, helped build one of the rovers that went to the moon in the '60's while working for Martin Marietta...he was always tinkering in his garage and has tools that make most men cry when they see them
smile.gif
 He retired from machine work to work on the water with his brother, and I remember many trips to Norfolk in a big truck with bushels of blue crabs in the back, just Pop-Pop and I. He loved the water and build a boat. He maintained a fruit orchard for decades, giving our small community the BEST and BIGGEST peaches I've ever seen; never seen any to match since he sold his property years ago.

His battles with the side effects of breathing in chemicals and particles at work for so many years have stripped him of most activities the loved, like welding and creating anything and everything you can think of out of his garage.  He was a biker for many years; I remember riding with him when I was much younger.  He's father to 4 children, has 10 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren...all in all, a very full and wonderful life...
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

You got it Michelle... Tell yer family that they're in my thoughts and prayers.
wink.gif
Please keep us updated of any changes, good or bad.
rock.gif

Damn,
sad.gif
Sorry Va, The Wife has her Grandmother in Melbourne on her last legs right now as well, Cancer...

Sorry to hear it M. It's hard when your grand parents start leaving, I don't have but one grandmother left, and she doesn't remember who I am...

Sorry to hear what you're going through Michelle. I know how this feels. We recently celebrated 18 years of my mother's passing on Nov. 10th. It's hard to bear with sometime, but we must always remember that we are born to die. God has a plan for your grandfather, and as much as noone wants to lose him, it's something that a necessary evil (so to speak...). My prayers go out to you and your family so that you all may trust in GOD and have strength to deal whatever comes your way. If there is anything you or the family needs, you can count on us to offer up something. Bless you.

Brian

Thanks Rev and Brian...I appreciate the kind words...

I'm just not ready for this part of life, you know? It's hard...too hard...
sad.gif
I've been spoiled for too long...

Rev, tell the Mrs. I'm sorry about her grandmother...my thoughts go out to her...

And Brian, so sorry about your loss too...18 years ago? Long time...glad you guys still keep her in your thoughts though...never let that go...

Now, I'm logging off for a while...you guys are making me cry at my desk! Snotty tissues everywhere...and people are starting to stare...
blush.gif

Sorry to hear the news Michelle. I hope everything works out for you and your family. I said a prayer for your Grandfather and your family. Hope it helps.

You got some excellent memories, and your Grandfather sounds like an awesome guy. Best of wishes to you.

Sounds like all you can ask for in a well lived life. Lots of adventure, plenty of accomplishments, and a family that loves and will remember you. I hope I am as lucky when my time arrives. Hope his wish of being at home for his parting is realized too.

How about a quote from a distant dead relation of mine:

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
--Mark Twain

A couple of others:

To fear death is nothing other than to think oneself wise when one is not. For it is to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest blessings of human beings. And yet people fear it as if they knew for certain it is the greatest evil.
--Socrates

Be sure to live your life, because you are a long time dead.
--Scottish proverb

Mostly we shouldn't fear death, we shouldn't be sad for a loved one, for they have the answers you and I are still messing with, they have a peace we don't know yet.

It's the dying that is the problem though isn't it? The process made horrible and scary by modern medicine, modern tools, modern thought. The Removal of all dignity, stretched out as long as is possible, just to placate misplaced ethics, morals, or religious constructs... It's hard to wrap your head around, I know that... I think I am babbling, but my point really is to not get all sad and down, death is a neccessary part of life, it's what we are designed to do. And while you might miss a person, they are allways in your head, as they were in their prime. Laughing at your mistakes, coaching you through the hard stuff...

Thoughts & Prayers are with your Grandpops & family. The Lord is with you all.

sad.gif
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers... hang in the VaBusa and know we all are there for and with you in mind and spirit~

Back