More power at low rpm

You can replace the two short velocity stacks with two long ones for more
torque. 4 long stacks for max torque...4 short ones for max HP.

Air box mods and sealing the RAM air tubes work best when you get up to speed
like 80-100+ MPH

All tall will get you more hp at low r's. If you need the other two tall stacks pm me.

He might also have the IAT sensor in mind. That's in the airbox, isn't it?
biggrin.gif

I think what he is talking about is sealing the foam between the intake tubes and the airbox itself. Ive seen people seal them up with heavy duty tape. I theory it would work best at high speed where there is more air pressure entering the airbox and less air can escape through the soft foam and force more air into the stacks.
but that's not going to help for low end torque, no ram air to speak of at those speeds...
I think its thesealing of the ram-air also. He did say gears 1 thru 3 ... those are the gears normally used in the 1/4 mile. If the Busa is trapping at 135+, then the ram-air is indeed being utilized at those speeds ... even though the bike is in a lower gear.

Taken from here. Click on "gsx1300r modifications", scroll down then click ramair modification. RAMAIR NOT AIRBOX
----------------------------------------------------
RAMAIR MODIFICATION (visit actual site for pics)

The stock Hayabusa RAM-airsystem is leaking on several points. They made two tubes from the front going into the frame, the airbox is connected to the other side of the holes in the frame. The connection between the RAM-airtubes and the frame is not sealed, the connection between airbox and frame is sealed with foam, but leaking anyway.

A good ramairsystem will result in an airboxpressure of about 25-30mBar at high speeds, but with the stock RAM-airsystem on the Hayabusa it is only good for about 10-15 mBar. The sealing will give you some hp's more in the top, but what's more important, the engine will have benefit of the RAM-airsystem at lower speeds.
Egg from 200mph.org.uk did some tests with homemade RAM-airseals and the seals from Nick Smith. The results are shown in the diagram.

When you want to have the best seals available between airbox and frame, you can buy the set from Nick Smith. When you want to make a homemade RAM-airseal I have written down a desciption how I did the job.
On the other side of the frame you have to seal the connection between the RAM-airtubes and the frame. Therefor you have to remove the bodywork. I used the black '1 for all' siliconepaste/ glue from Bison. It's great stuff, you can use it for anything you have to seal, glue and so more.

Okay, for the people who want to make a homemade sealing between airbox and frame we start with the modification.
We start with the airbox, so lift the tank and take the airbox out. Don't forget to take the airfilter out of the airbox befor you start with the modification!

The sealing between the airbox and the frame is done by some foam. On some Hayabusa's there's a gap of a few millimetres between the frame and the box, on other bikes there's not enough room and the foam is pressed into the tube. A bad solution. What we will do is cut off the flange with the foam on it. The easiest way is to use a little sawblade.
Then I used a cokebottle, cutted a piece out of it, enough to make it close and put it in the hole in the frame to enlarge it. When you put the airbox on, the plastic of the cokebottle must just catch the airboxinlets. When done, I put some ducktape over the plastic to seal the thing and used some black siliconepaste as glue to put some innerhoserubber on the tubes. At first for a nice view but also to be sure that the hole thing is sealed between frame and plastic. After drying (will take a day or to) you can put some innertube over the airboxinlets, put the airbox on and use the innertubes to seal the connection between airboxinlets and frame.

These two pictures are from someone else, did the mod some different from what I described. May be you find another way to seal the thing but I think the easiest way is to use some black silicone at the RAM-airtube side and innertube and plastic bottle material for the airboxside.
-------------------------------------------------------

Check out also.

Back