Modular Helmet Thoughts

SSGT_B

Registered
For those who use a modular helmet, which one do you like and why? I refuse the tiny “Harley” brain bucket and my Arai is about 6 yrs old so time to replace. I was looking at a Sena model with Bluetooth @ 300 but have no experience with any of the models

I just bought my first modular helmet like a month ago so I dont have much experience, but so far I like it, I wasn't really looking for the modular type, but I was looking for the bluetooth type, I ended up trying the sena outrush and so far I like the features it provides.

I just bought my first modular helmet like a month ago so I dont have much experience, but so far I like it, I wasn't really looking for the modular type, but I was looking for the bluetooth type, I ended up trying the sena outrush and so far I like the features it provides.
That is one of the ones I was looking at. What did you have before? How’s the fit/ noise levels?

That is one of the ones I was looking at. What did you have before? How’s the fit/ noise levels?
I had a shoei, that need to be replaced long ago, as far as fitment I think its similar, but I went 1 size up since I never like the helmet so tight

I haven't play around enough with the bluetooth, but it seems the other person can hear you clear, I can hear them ok when going about 50 mph, any faster and it start to get a little noise.

This is also my first bluetooth, so I dont have much experience with that, but as far as the sounds I think its high pitched sounds, I would like a low deep tone, but again, I'm not sure if all are like that.

Overall, I'm happy with it, I can listen to music, awnser calls on the road, flip the helmet open for more air when needed, and I have a sun shield too, those are new features that I never experience before.

Last edited:
I'll pass on modular helmets, to each their own, just me.
Look at the hinges on each side.
Now, you tell me if you are confident that the face guard won't break off from a hard impact.
If you are, great, buy one.
If not, pass, get a regular full face helmet.

I'll pass on modular helmets, to each their own, just me.
Look at the hinges on each side.
Now, you tell me if you are confident that the face guard won't break off from a hard impact.
If you are, great, buy one.
If not, pass, get a regular full face helmet.
You know what, I thought the same thing, was wondering if that thing can open up on impact, but even if it does, still have better protection than the half helmets. I'm using the modular for cruising, I'm planning to get a full face for high speed runs, I would feel more confident and I'm sure the modular won't pass inspection, lol...

You know what, I thought the same thing, was wondering if that thing can open up on impact, but even if it does, still have better protection than the half helmets. I'm using the modular for cruising, I'm planning to get a full face for high speed runs, I would feel more confident and I'm sure the modular won't pass inspection, lol...
Many European police forces use modular helmets and they put them to the test periodically I'm sure....

A modular helmet is better than those "salad bowl" helmets many cruiser riders wear but not as protected as a regular full face...

I think in the application @SSGT_B is going to use them for, they should be GTG....

Many European police forces use modular helmets and they put them to the test periodically I'm sure....

A modular helmet is better than those "salad bowl" helmets many cruiser riders wear but not as protected as a regular full face...

I think in the application @SSGT_B is going to use them for, they should be GTG....
I would think the helmet had to pass some kind of test before going on the market, so I dont give it much thought.
I consider the modular more like the 3/4 helmet instead of full face.

I had the shoei neotec2 for a while.
Super plush, super comfy.
But…
By the time I added the comms, it became heavy.
It started to limit my riding time due to the weight. Headaches, sore neck.
I kept at it, but in the end, reverted back to a full face.
Better fit, way lighter, more quiet.
I may revisit one day and look at a cf model

Get you a Schuberth C3 pro ( not a C4 ! ) left over for $3XX or go big with the awesome C5 pro listed to ride while open .
My C3 , and C3 Pro have been great . Had Neotec 2 sold it in 1st week , HJC Rapha was very nice but sizing didnt work for my wife or I . It was a expensive mistake .

275399818_10222339996272777_696739801783457960_n.jpg

My dad has modular helmets with intercoms and I'm a big fan. No need to take off the helmet to talk to cashiers, eat, blow out a spider at 70MPH, etc.
I don't have one because none of the local shops had any affordable ones I liked.

Well I tried the outrush 2 by sena. A bit tight on the cheeks but could not get it to sync with the Harley’s BT. Christy tried it and instantly felt closterphobic when the lid shut. Back it went. Going to give the C3pro a shot next. Will just go without the BT for now

Also tried the motohorns I e been seeing advertisements for. Say they hit 150db. Nope. Stock was 108db and the new horns were 110db. Sent those back as well.

I use Neotec II. Fits my head better than the Schubert C3 (or maybe 4... not sure) i tried when I bought it 3 years ago. Is holding up great. In my opinion the Neotec II is a solid choice, not because it excels at anything, but does everything good. Not the lightest or quietest modular helmet on the market but well designed and built. The AGV Sportmodular Carbon is much lighter, but feels flimsy and cheap in comparison.

I don't do bluetooth or intercom so can't comment on it.

I got a Bell about six months back. The flip-up is a convenience. I like the flip-down sun glasses. With all the seams, I wonder if these are a bit noisier than a conventional lid. They do not rate as high for the safety tests (no Snell). It vents well and has good visibility.

My next helmet will be a conventional full-face.

IMG_6812-M.jpg

For those who use a modular helmet, which one do you like and why? I refuse the tiny “Harley” brain bucket and my Arai is about 6 yrs old so time to replace. I was looking at a Sena model with Bluetooth @ 300 but have no experience with any of the models
Yea, I have been using Modular Shark Helmet as its manageable, warranted for five years along with chin covered object which flip back to the neck area.

Shoei Neotec II is the best modular I've used for the longer highway rides, but it's slightly restrictive in field of view, but comfortable and quiet IMO. Its air vent system doesn't leak and positively seals when closed. Something you'll appreciate in winter.
Modular types are really only useful for showing your face when paying for fuel, getting breath tested, or entering a security I.D protected premises, instead of removing it constantly - which is a drag.

But for the shorter local rides, I don't use modular. I wear the Bell Race Star DLX. Better/wider field of view for heightened situational awareness. Its quick change visor is a 5 second job and has a one position flip up/down spring. Solid workmanship!

Last edited:
Back