Modifing stock exhaust

merrillbf

Registered
I want to make my Busa sound better, and don't really want any more power. Is there any way to remove the baffels from the stock exaust? And if I did would I need to change the fuel, or could the stock computer handel it? :hammerhead:

I have modified the (stock) exhausts on virtually every bike I have owned (both street and dirt), with varying degrees of success.
I have modified my Hyabusa in stages. Initially, I just removed the end cap (carefully grind the spot welds holding the screws in place) and drilled several holes in the metal. Make sure to do the same holes in both sides. This adds a very small amount of "growl", but not much more. No change in temp or jetting requirements.
The next step was to remove part of the internal baffles. Again, better sound, but not much more.
This past W/E I went all the way and gutted the internals of both can. Suprise, the exhaust sounds wonderfully full and deep at idle, and about as loud as most after-market exhaust systems.
This is not easy, and you need to be careful. Patience is the key here.
I have only ridden about 10 miles since the mod. The bike seems to run a little better down low (maybe my imagination from the healthy sound?), and does not seem to be any leaner. I have not had a chance to ring it out to see about top end.
I will be keeping a careful eye on the plugs, and let you know about their color.
Oh yea, my bike is basically stock.............for now!

I have done mods to stock cans in the past. You can do this best by drilling 1/2 holes down through the center of each opening in the pipe. Each time you hit a baffle drill and keep the same size all the way inside the pipes. It will give you some tone and about 1/2-1 hp.

If you end up 'gutting' the cans, be sure to get the 'busa remapped. I forgot the numbers, but I had mine done in '99 when I bought some yoshi cans and they didn't have the race baffles yet, so I made my own.

Back