MM on Ducati

Mental and physical condition plays the biggest part in being the best at negotiating the forces involved with hurling around a track at somewhat above 200mph.

He had a lot of bad accidents, now has a lot of psychological pressure to show if he can still do it.

Hope he can still do it, but have my doubts.

It reminds of one of the best cycling athletes, Chris Froome. Won the Tour De France four times, had a really bad accident in 2019, has been trying to get back ever since, but not even close to the top new talent.

I cross fingers for Marc.

Different situation, but years ago I was riding off-road in Colorado. The Jeep path went along a drop-off to nowhere. At some point, I spooked myself. For the next 30 minutes I was so tense I simply could not keep pace with my buddies. At some point we stopped and one of them said: "Carl, you're riding scared." That helped me.

Different situation, but years ago I was riding off-road in Colorado. The Jeep path went along a drop-off to nowhere. At some point, I spooked myself. For the next 30 minutes I was so tense I simply could not keep pace with my buddies. At some point we stopped and one of them said: "Carl, you're riding scared." That helped me.
There comes a time in competitive racing when you know you are no longer mentally or physically on your game....

When I was racing there came a time to basically choose between my career (military) or racing...I weighed both and decided that racing was the one to let go because a person can only be in the zone for so long-that and Suzuki even in those days was getting cheap and basically didn't offer me a new bike and my then current factory sponsored GSXR was getting long in the tooth.

I have accepted four crashes as normal for every dirt bike ride. And, I'm still here.

Funny that distinction between dirt and street. Ask a dirt rider if he crashed today and you'll probably get an odd look, like: "Well of course." Similar to road vs mountain biking now that I think about it.

I'll be on the stationary bike trainer if anybody needs me...

MVC-014S-M.jpg

"Carl, you're riding scared."
I can relate. I fractured my neck once. After recovering physically, I started to ride motocross again, but I rode maybe 70% and just scared to crash all the time. Took many months to recover physically but also many months to recover mentally and let go of that fear. That was the only injury I suffered with a mental side to it.

Back