Mileage per Tank?

my 08 I was getting 150-170 per tank.. the '11 I just filled up this morning after picking it up last week. Will find out in the next few days what it averages out too, hopefully the weather will hold up. Been getting some really crappy weather lately and its starting to get under my skin... :banghead:

Has anyone verified the exact capacity of the tank?

The book says 5.5 gals for non-california gen-1. The book also says the light will come on when there is .9 gallons left.

The other day my light came on at 180, I filled up immediately (within 2 miles) and it took 4.4 gallons. The math doesn't come out exact.

When I'm out on the road, trying to calculate range, it's good to know how much is really in there.

My light seems to come on with more than a gallon left in the tank but I am not sure. I am around 130-140 when the light comes on. I dont really mess around with it since my commute is 20 miles with no gas along the way. Are you guys posting up the big tank numbers filling it while on the sidestand?

One time I filled it up while holding the bike upright on a cool morning and by the time I came out to go home in the (hot) afternoon, I could smell gas and see a dirty puddle under the bike. Must be some kind of pressure overflow or something. So now I fill up on the kickstand and no problems since.

I've had it down to the bottom of the red zone and it still only took a little over 4.5 gallons. So does that mean at the bottom of the red zone and the light on I still have 1 gallon of gas left if it's supposed to be a 5.5 gallon tank? I've never wanted to try to run it out of gas before but I would like to know how far down on the fuel gauge before it's completely empty (that is without draining the tank and looking at the fuel gauge)

During my weekly commute I get around 50 MPG and about 240 miles filling up at the same gas station every other day. When I am out riding to have fun, it is not nearly that good though.

Although, I have a 39 tooth rear sprocket and use cruise control most of the ride to and from work which helps keep the MPG up.

Your tank indeed holds 5.5 US gallons. None of the 7 busas's I've owned had an accurate gauge. So, I figured out how to make them accurate. I would run the guage down to exactly half full and fill the tank taking notice of the amount of fuel. One would think it should take 2.75 gallons but usually it is closer to 3.5 gallons.

In order to remedy the issue I'd remove the screws in the filler and pull the float assembly out and bend the rod slightly up and go through the fill up when the gauge indicated half full. It usually took 2-3 times of adjusting the float until the tank was actually half empty taking at or around 2.75 gallons at the halfway mark.

Takes a little fiddling with the float but you can make your gauge accurate if you so desire. :thumbsup:

Has anyone verified the exact capacity of the tank?

The book says 5.5 gals for non-california gen-1. The book also says the light will come on when there is .9 gallons left.

The other day my light came on at 180, I filled up immediately (within 2 miles) and it took 4.4 gallons. The math doesn't come out exact.

When I'm out on the road, trying to calculate range, it's good to know how much is really in there.

Mine is almost exactly like yours.

I'm temped to carry my 1 gallon gas can strapped to the rear seat.
When the low fuel light came on I would reset a trip gauge and then run it until it sputtered. Then I would know about how
many miles after the low fuel light came on, how far I really could go.

Maybe someday. :laugh:

Today i just filled mine light came on and rode about 4 miles to the station and took less than 3 gal on side stand bumped it to 4 standing it up. got 160 for the tank. weird thing i think i have a cali bike. title said previously titled in cali. and i've never filled up with barely more than 4 gal. so i'm guessing it is a cali bike

i get 42 mpg with Ventura bags loaded and touring...there is right at 1 gallon of gas left in the tank when the warning light comes on...farthest i've taken it was between 30-35 miles after it came on and i was able to put 5.253 gallons in the tank while the bike was straight up and down :beerchug:

Rode today at 4,000-6,000 ft. altitude, average speed 60, 136 miles and took only 2.1 gallons.
That's 68mpg. I'm concerned that the motor is running too lean. Stock motor, with slip-ons and stock otherwise.
Exhaust color doesn't appear to be lean at all.

Rode today at 4,000-6,000 ft. altitude, average speed 60, 136 miles and took only 2.1 gallons.
That's 68mpg. I'm concerned that the motor is running too lean. Stock motor, with slip-ons and stock otherwise.
Exhaust color doesn't appear to be lean at all.

I lived near RENO for around 16 months which is near 5000 ft and never got that kind of mileage on either of my bikes.

If you when from 6000 ft to 4000 ft (downhill) at 55mph maybe I could see that, otherwise maybe you should repeat your test
as that seems really high. By the way 136/2.1 = 64.7mpg.

You're right about the average. Were you at one time a math teacher? We actually went from 4,000 ft up to 6,000 and back down. Mileage confirmed the other bike riders odometer was within 2 miles of mine.

You're right about the average. Were you at one time a math teacher? We actually went from 4,000 ft up to 6,000 and back down. Mileage confirmed the other bike riders odometer was within 2 miles of mine.

I like math, and have helped some people with it but I'm not a paid teacher.

What year is your bike and what is your NORMAL mpg? How long have you had it?

I wouldn't think that JUST slip-ons would make it run super lean. The ECM should auto adjust some what.
Some bikes are sold near sea level and some in mountain areas. I don't think that Suzuki knows where
every bike will end up so the ECM needs to be able to adjust air/fuel mixture to run well.

JMHO

If your worried, get it tuned or get a PC or editor.
Then again did you see this mileage jump just since the silp-ons were added?

At a constant 80 mph, I'll go 220 miles with plenty of gas still left in the tank at fill up. I guarantee I can go at least 260 miles at that speed before being stranded.
80 mph in 6th is the sweet spot for my bike. Slower speeds in 6th actually starts to increase consumption. The bikes are geared for ~200 mph so there's a point where you're wasting more fuel on a slightly lugging engine.

i seem to average about 36-38 no matter what. im sure its been much worse, however the best i have found when i checked was 39mpg. not as good as i had hoped for. gen 2 with brocks full and pc3

Back