Midnight is Rollin' Again

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Well, as everyone knows I have been having some ongoing problems with Midnight related to apparently a lack of fuel pressure. Specific problem was that she would not rev above 8000-8500 RPM hence the believe it was fuel related. Tried replacing the fuel pump which worked briefly and then the problem came back. Sent the injectors out to be cleaned and they were about 98% clean and not causing a problem. Attempted to synch the throttle bodies with no luck. Spark plugs were changed too, in case anyone is wondering.

So, as I make preparations for moving wanted to take her in to Steve at Smithers Customs to get her finally fixed up. Dropped her off last Saturday and based upon his workload he didn't think he could get to her until sometime next week. We talked yesterday and he was starting to work on her and he called me today to say she was done! Bike fixed and dyno tuned (unless he posts the sheet I'll have it on Saturday). She pulled 164.11 HP with 97.xx ft-lbs of torque and in Steve's words, '. . . runs and sounds like a Busa.'

List of things fixed:

Replaced chain master link
Installed swingarm adjuster bolt (don't know what happened to that)
Replaced fuel pump (left one with him in case it was the problem)
Replaced spark plugs
Synched throttle bodies
Reinstalled clutch pack (a few of the plates were in backwards) and tightened clutch hub
Replaced springs on exhaust
Repositioned oil cooler
Cleaned airbox and filter
Removed unneeded vacuum tubing
Replaced oil and fuel
Some other odds and ends

Anyway, lots of words (apologize for the long post) but wanted to say thanks to Steve and the crew for getting her ready to ride! Gonna miss that comfortable feeling of help he has available!

beerchug.gif

Steve's top-notch!
thumb_up.gif

Was it the air filter
rock.gif
Turned out to be a combination. Fuel pump was the biggest problem as they pressure dropped from 43 psi to next to nothing above 6500 RPM. TPS was missing a screw so the interface with the ECU wasn't correct. Some residual oil (don't know from where) in the airbox and filter. Throttle bodies being out of synch fouled the plugs, so just kind of bad all the way around.

Glad to see it running at it's full potential Ken, You should definately have some fun on it now!!
beerchug.gif

When we started on it and I heard it running it sounded like it was sick. Didn't sound right at all. Almost sounded like a carbed bike with clogged jets. Then after we fixed a bunch of stuff and got it up on the dyno I could tell it was running 100000x better.

Back