Metzeler VS Pirelli rubber compound

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I read over the years:

"Pirelli owns Metzeler and the tires are made in the same place"

"the rubber is the same in both of their tires"

"Get the Metzeler - it's exactly the same as the Pirelli and cheaper"

Does anyone here know FOR A PROVABLE FACT, that the rubber compound is EXACTLY THE SAME for both tire brands?
I don't believe that it is.

As I recall, Pirelli purchased Metzeler - a competing brand. I might be wrong on that but don't have any info. Now, if Metzeler alrady had great sales and a large international client base - which is why I would assume Pirelli would buy them instead of some looser comapny going down the toilet - then Metzeler would be allowed to continue doing business as it always has, chaninging nothing, especially the tire compound so many of their customers have come to trust. I suspect they have their own chemistry that may have gotten some R&D booste by the knowledge and money of Pirelli, but I doubt they would just bail on a known good rubber mix and become exactly like Pirelli's but with a different tread pattern and name stamped on.

Does anybody know FOR A FACT, and legit sources would help, if they are the same rubber?

The carcus might be different, and that is fine. I'm tawkin bout rubber here

Who knows the TRUTH? Not just suspicions and speculation?

Yes, I already checked snopes ;)

Also post up real world experiences. Personally, I've run alot of Pirellis and love them. Switched to Metzeler last go round and although they feel fine, I'm not sure the rubber feels the same to me. I plan to switch back to Pirelli as soon as I can burn thru these.
pirelli_diablo_tire_rear.gif

I would be interested to know this as well - a local guy is selling some Pirelli rears...

From what I was told at a dealer show by a Pirelli rep "they are the same compound".

I have only used a M1 for I cannot compare the characteristics of each.

The Pirelli does have 1mm more of rear tread depth on the rear, so it will wear better.

Are there any published side by side comparisons?

found some stuff, but VMAN sounds like he got the skinny from a rep shich should be good. but tha last pirelli rep at my last track day didn't even know the differences in the lines of Pirelli tires he was selling. but he was very young and I think more of a cashier than anything
biggrin.gif

found SOME info on Metz site:
In its 130 year history Metzeler has always satisfied market demands with innovation. Metzeler has always been an industry leader, setting trends that others are still trying to achieve
1986 - Since the 1st January 1986, Metzeler had been a member of the Pirelli Group. A restructuring period of the existing different branches into independent companies took place, and in 1989, Pirelli founded Metzeler Reifen GmbH.

and other places...

Well-informed readers know that Pirelli and Metzeler joined forces a few years ago, a union that created a crowded tire lineup for the duo. The Diablo has the same mission as Metzeler's Sportec M-1, but Pirelli was careful not to divulge the differences between it and the Diablo. Pirelli, naturally, said its tire is better than the successful Sportec in certain areas but wouldn't specify which. To better differentiate the two brands in the future, we can expect Pirelli to be marketed more toward the sporting side of motorcycle tires, while Metzeler will edge closer to the cruiser and touring riders who love high-mileage tires, according to Pirelli brass.

even more other...

The information offered on this site relates to Pirelli and Metzeler racing tyres, both being manufactured by Pirelli. All tyres are produced in one factory located in Breuberg, Germany and distributed to Complog via the extensive Burton-on-Trent facility. Pirelli’s patented zero degree steel construction is used throughout the range. The renowned consistency of the tyre output may be attributed to the fact that all Pirelli/Metzeler tyres are mounted and checked by laser beam for complete accuracy before distribution.

Eh. whatever. The Pirelli name SOUNDS more exotic, and reminds me of when I was lusting after Porches, Vectors and other high priced concept cars as a kid, and they ALL rode on Pirelli rubber, so I guess I'll keep buying them.

Hows THAT for shallow?

I know you guy are referring to the sport tires but if it's any indication my mileage for the sportouring Metzeler z6 and the pirelli strada were: z6 8033 km. strada 4829 km. Both were excellent tires. I believe the metzeler had a harder compound.

cheers
ken

(WWJD @ Jan. 12 2007,11:37) Eh. whatever.  The Pirelli name SOUNDS more exotic, and reminds me of when I was lusting after Porches, Vectors and other high priced concept cars as a kid, and they ALL rode on Pirelli rubber, so I guess I'll keep buying them.

Hows THAT for shallow?
Nothing wrong with that.

On the 2 being the same, the rep was talking about the M1/Diablo.

How accurate is the reps info, who knows. I have talked to many people who have used both, most say they can tell no difference.

There are some who have a preference for each.

You can check my past posts... I got over 7200 miles out of my Metzler M3's and would not change to another tire. In my opinion they are far superior in handling and wear than anything I have ever used.

I have also ridden them in torential downpours for 3 hours + and never had a slip in 30+ degree weather traveling from Annapolis to Atlanta. I also had them on a icy 27 degree day on Deal's Gap and never felt a slip unless I forced it hard... they still lifted the front tire off the ground.

The best part is that the tires never got hard, even after 7200 miles.

Metzler, has my business for as long as they keep making an outstanding product. I also went with the 180 rear and LOVE what it did for the handling!

Back