maxium width tire on stock rear rim

kkattan

Donating Member
Registered
Hello.
time for me to change my original BattleAx after almost 4500 miles.. i was thinking of getting Metzeler sprotec m-1 in the 200/50 ZR 17

then i noticed at www.tiresunlimited.com
the have a metzeler in the ME 880 Cruise/Touring section
sized: 210/50ZR17 for just $2 more. it is steel belted, but seems to be ZR rated.

Anyone know if this tire will fit on stock rim okay? and how about the chain clearance?
thanks for any info.

I wouldn't get the me880 personally. I'm not sure if I'd trust it at high speed and I definately wouldn't trust them in the canyons. but I don't know how you ride. They'd probably be fine for the freeway commuting.

NO it might fit the wheel But it would fug up the profile of the tire.. Besides, you don't want to put Cruiser rubber with Cruiser grip on the back of the busa.

Regardless you would probably run into some chain clearance problems. I would go with the M-1 and get a real performance tire underneath you...

The ME880 won't work...

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>NO</span></span>

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>NO</span></span>
i second that. even my 200mm bridgestone (probably measures more than 200mm) has a very slight touch with the chain. i think i'm going with the 200mm metzeler next time or back to a 190mm bridgestone because they both supposely measured at 198mm.

Keep in mind, when you go to a tire with more width on your stock rim, it reduces the size of the contact patch thus less traction. That may sound strange? One would think a larger tire would have a larger contact patch but it is the opposite when you increase the tire width without increasing the width of the rim! Something to think about. A larger tire would be called a poser. I would never go bigger on any sport bike unless I was going to park in front of the local A&W and pose for the fillies! Now it's a different story if you are going to put a drag tire on with a flat surface.

I use the 200mm Metzeler M1 and it's awesome. I wouldn't go bigger than a 200 on the stock rim because of EXACTLY what Tufbusa said.

Exactly what everyone else has said. I am getting some new shoes for mine and going with the 200/50ZR17 tire for mine. I certainly wouldn't go with a cruiser tire for this beast!

I put the 210 tire you speak of on my Busa. It did fit...looked great...the handle was noticably different. I have not gone to one since.

NNNNOOOOOOOO...
rock.gif

It's funny you post this now,

I just did it on my 04'. I absolutely love it. No problem with the chain.  I run low pressure (25 psi)  and my contact patch is bigger than my 190 with the same pressure.

I just loaded my bike in my trailer to take it to Florida but if you would like i will take a pic when i get there.

I love the looks and it handles just the same as my OEM tire. It is Z Rated. I have run the tire past 150 mph a couple times and feel very confident doing so.

METZLER ME 880 XXL  210 50 ZR 17

** THIS PIC IS OF A 240 SERIES TIRE BUT IT IS THE SAME TREAD**

<!--EDIT|FMSCYCLES
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1097032106 -->

Hi FMSCycles,
yes i would like to see some pics when you have time.
Please let me know how the 210 tire handles in the curves.
Also, the wider tire did not rub against the chain? No modifications needed?

thanks.

That wheel width stock?  6"  Swingarm as well???  nope...

The pictured bike will do bobo in the twisties,  so if corners are what your into it's a bad idea, and why it handles just the same as my OEM tire[/QUOTE]   It just doesn't matter if your cruising/ drag racing... accept maybe better straight line contact patch...

If of course the bike is anything like the photo...

If your into twisties bad idea... you like going straight/cruising.  Apparantly it'll do just fine...
smile.gif
 Though that swingarm and wheel isn't stock width...

Either way looks like you finally got an answer you like "K"...
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "www.tractiondynamics.com photo"|1097088762 -->

As before You will get left behind on runs and the handling will suck Stick with the 190 more miles equals more smiles..

The Conversions are cool but only for Show the 240-280s can only go 120 tops and that is pushin them.

The Daimyo

The pic was used to show the tread pattern only.

My bike is stock wheel base, just lowered.

I like it, end of story.  I don't do twisties. I did it for looks and it just happens it rides/handles real good.

kkattan Posted on Oct. 06 2004,19:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi FMSCycles,
Also, the wider tire did not rub against the chain?  No modifications needed?

thanks. [/QUOTE]

I def. will send you pics this weekend when i arrive in FL.  I have not had any problems in the corners but i don't fly through them. It does not touch the chain at all.

FMS CYCLES

<!--EDIT|FMSCYCLES
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097098469 -->

The pic was used to show the tread pattern only.

My bike is stock wheel base, just lowered.

I like it, end of story.  I don't do twisties. I did it for looks and it just happens it rides/handles real good.

kkattan Posted on Oct. 06 2004,19:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi FMSCycles,
Also, the wider tire did not rub against the chain?  No modifications needed?

thanks.

I def. will send you pics this weekend when i arrive in FL.  I have not had any problems in the corners but i don't fly through them. It does not touch the chain at all.

FMS CYCLES[/QUOTE]
Hey Cool Beans Man... If we all had a Busa for the same fugging reasons it would be pretty boring... or we would all be riding R1's...

Hell I don't like Chrome, and I think "Bling" is just plain silly...
smile.gif

But others here I consider friends and fully dipped in Chrome slammed and stretched... It's all good...

Do what you like... Just try to be accurate... I say try cause all most of us can do is offer our best understanding usually...

Rev

Back