Maxium weight of driver 5'9" for comfy ride

totalgeek

Registered
What is the maximum weight for a driver 5'9" on a '06 or higher Busa where its comfortable riding around town and distance?

Background: 2 years ago I got back into cycling wanted a sports bike after 12 years of not riding, but I gained over 200 pounds ( 400+ pounds eep). I'm now around 260 and still losing weight. I got back into riding with a Harley Sportster with its upright position didn't put too much strain on my arms.

Now I want to reward myself with a Busa but I need to know what weight it will be comfortable at. I'm hoping to get one next year and be around the 200 pound mark. Is this good enough?

Back in the days I used to ride an '89 ninja, but I was poor and going to college so I couldn't afford cool helmets, bullet suits, etc... Now that I can I was way too fat! But now that I'm coming down, and got almost 2 years of riding again under my belt. I want my dream bike. And thats a sport bike, and everything is pointing me to the Busa (availability of after market parts, community, ride, looks, etc... )

It sucks to be riding on a cruiser style bike @ 33 when I want to be on the twisties, slinked over with my head tucked behind the shield. Oh man, I want to re-live those days. Back to the weight room and diet, but now with my house covered in Busa images!

I'm at 6ft 210lbs.no problems at all.there's a few guys around here much heavier than you.but I think they're taller also.5'9" at 200...no problem.

Dude, that is some greatness. Keep it up.

I am 5'7" and right at 250. You know already, get gear that fits you well and you will be OK. It really is a great goal.

Just remember, every pound you loose is extra horses that the bike doesn't have to push.

200 is an excellent weight.

Hey bud, welcome to the org! I am 5'7" and weigh about 210 in my gear, the Busa is the only way to go! Don't wait, get one now while the prices are low due to the release of the '08 and the more that you ride and lose weight, the more powerfull it will feel. And just think how motivated you will be to go to the gym on the Busa!
super.gif

I am 5'7" and I remember getting on the scale and it said 185. I was sick for a week. GOD now I wish I could see 200 again.

Thanks everyone for the positive remarks and warm welcome. The only reason I don't get one now is I live in Nevada where we have 4 seasons. Its almost time to put my current bike away for storage. But you don't know how tempted I am to grab a Busa right now with what everyone said.

I guess the only reason I don't get one now is that I am still self concsious as 260 @ 5'9" is still fat! People just see your current weight not what you used to be. I'm afraid I would just look "Fat" on the busa and the bike just needs not to have fat associated with it.

@Nekosohana you give me a lot of hope. Where you able to find gear at your size? Everytime I walk in the bike shop and look at suits or jackets and sales people glance away. I guess they don't want to tell me that I'm too fat.

Man, I can't wait to goto the gym on a Busa, this is the bike I want. And its giving me more motiviation to lose weight. Crap I might starve myself to get to weight sooner! I want to enjoy the Busa and have it be comfortable for 5+ hour drives. From this site and Pashnit it looks like this is the bike for me.

Don't let a stranger ruin your motivation man, you have come a long way, and you do not have too far to go. That Busa will keep you awake at night. Mine still does, there are days when I fall asleep thinking of her, and I wake up thinking of her. Welcome to the madness, there is nothing else out there like it.
super.gif

DUDE THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME !!!!!!!
Keep it up, and Welcome !!! I had the same kind of fear, I wanted a sport bike, but felt like I would look crazy on a sport bike !(6"240 lbs.) Have you ever sat on a Busa ? you'd be suprised how small you feel on this beast !
FOR REAL, in this world we only really have ourselves, and trust me I do know everything you're going through, or went through ! And when I'm on my Busa I can't even imagine what people are saying about me, but I can't hear them over the uncontrolable laughing that happens on this thing !!!

Are you F'in KIDDING me??? You are worried what people will think of a big man on a Busa? And you ain't even "BIG"...

You've lost 140+ pounds, man! Get your butt to Suzuki, buy an 07 (or even a leftover 06) and RIDE!! You DESERVE a reward!!!
bowdown.gif

Anyone says anything (which they won't) about your size.. give them a big a$$ smile as you pop in down a gear and fly away into the sunset.

DO IT!!!!
super.gif

I'm 5'10" and about 220, I've got a nice potbelly and I feel fine on the big bike. Thats one thing that will help, the Busa is a BIG bike. Now go out and get one, park it all winter and let the spring rides be your motivation to keep at the diet.

(totalgeek @ Aug. 06 2007,17:flamethrowing:) Thanks everyone for the positive remarks and warm welcome. The only reason I don't get one now is I live in Nevada where we have 4 seasons. Its almost time to put my current bike away for storage. But you don't know how tempted I am to grab a Busa right now with what everyone said.

I guess the only reason I don't get one now is that I am still self concsious as 260 @ 5'9" is still fat! People just see your current weight not what you used to be. I'm afraid I would just look "Fat" on the busa and the bike just needs not to have fat associated with it.

@Nekosohana you give me a lot of hope. Where you able to find gear at your size? Everytime I walk in the bike shop and look at suits or jackets and sales people glance away. I guess they don't want to tell me that I'm too fat.

Man, I can't wait to goto the gym on a Busa, this is the bike I want. And its giving me more motiviation to lose weight. Crap I might starve myself to get to weight sooner! I want to enjoy the Busa and have it be comfortable for 5+ hour drives. From this site and Pashnit it looks like this is the bike for me.
I never had a problem finding gear that fit me, bro.

I can't speak for you, but at my height, I am more square than round. At the moment, I have an XL Powertrip jacket that is really good, first gear racing gloves, and I am squiddish and wear comfortable jeans with shoes (boots are next on my "to buy gear" list).

Get it when you are ready, clearly you know it's the right bike for you, so now or later, either one is fine. It's just really inspiring to hear that you lost so much weight. Now if I could get my brother to do the same (6'1" 425lbs).

Congrats on the achievement!
beerchug.gif
Now for the next one GO GET THE BIKE! Who gives a rats behind what any one thinks you have earned it for YOURSELF!!

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
newbie.gif
6' 250 lbs and love every minute on this
ices_rofl.gif
bike. Go get one or wait a month or so and get an awesome deal on any remaining '06 or '07.
super.gif

Welcome and great job losing some pounds! I've been trying to take off a few pounds as well. I just shy of 6' and about 225 now (was around 240). I used to have a big beer gut, but I have slimmed it down some by switching to tequila!
all_coholic.gif

I sat on a ZX14R a couple years ago and I did not like the feel - my belly felt in the way. Hopped on a Busa and was surprised at how comfortable it is. There is even room to put my son (in another thread) behind me on the front seat!

Go ahead and get a Busa. If the people on this board are any indication of other owners, they will accept you and welcome you to the fold.

I tip my hat to you for your achievement!
smile.gif

By that Busa and lose that weight! Besides riding the Busa in the twisties with gear on will help you lose weight...especially this time of year.

(BusaBret @ Aug. 07 2007,02:23) Congrats on the achievement!
beerchug.gif
Now for the next one GO GET THE BIKE! Who gives a rats behind what any one thinks you have earned it for YOURSELF!!
i agree im may be the biggest guy here im 5'11 about 367 and i ride the busa hard and i still spank some youngins on their litter bikes. im comfy as hell shoot im also droped and streched.. dont let your weight run things just do what you like and you wont regret it. btw i am loosing weight to get faster... hehe
tounge.gif

Thanks everyone! I went down to the local shop to view some Busas. They didn't have the 08 models, I don't know if they didn't recieve them or what, but it gave me a good excuse to come back. I want to make sure I get the bike I want, and not a bike I settled for because of my weight, the Sportster.

You guys have given me more motivation and some of you have even edged me close enough to buy right now, even though I said I would wait one more year. I might not buy because I'll get in an accident during the winter. I'll think its safe enough to pull the bike out to ride just a quick ride and *BAM* I hit black ice. I can't believe so many people ride at different heights and weights. Once I can fit in a bullet suit I'll post a before and after pic, its crazy.

My question is the seat position doesn't get to you? You don't feel sore in the lower back or your forearms get sore from holding your upper body up? I didn't throw a leg over the bike (last time I did that to a bike I bought it) but the peg position and seat makes it look aggresive, your legs don't get all cramped up in an hour or two of riding?

Thanks, again all, and to you who are losing weight to, it only takes one day at a time. Remember, if you started a year before guess where you would be now? To be honest it all started with Billy Blanks and Tae Bo, this is not a plug, but it allowed me to workout at home without people staring at my fat ass. Sometimes thats better then hitting the gym, if you are super self concsious like me.

Again, I'm 6' 250 lbs. My inseam is 30 inches + I have never had a leg issue and I have put some big numbers down on single day and weekend rides. You are going to feel it on your hands at first because everyone puts all their upper body weight on their hands at first. You can do that for a 10 mile trip, but not on a 600 mile trip.

Good luck to ya and have a blast shopping.

PS - black is where it's at
tounge.gif

post_77_41414_busa08loweredblack21183177844.jpg

Back