Lost my key...

Phrogg

Registered
Like the title says. I lost my one and only key. I don't know if someone stole it at the party last night, but the bike has not moved since. Either way, can I just go to a dealership, provide the vin number, and have a new key cut?:please:

My dealer cant do that, they cant even cut me a key from the one I have. You may need to call a locksmith.

Like the title says. I lost my one and only key. I don't know if someone stole it at the party last night, but the bike has not moved since. Either way, can I just go to a dealership, provide the vin number, and have a new key cut?:please:

If there is even a 1% chance in your head that some one at the party took your key change the ignition switch.

i now have 4 keys to my bike and you will need a locksmith if the dealer won't help. They probably will have to order a blank to cut so don't think about it for to long takes time.

without a key, i think you are going to need the small tag that has your bikes key code on it that came with the keys when the bike was new

I only have one and I even have a blank, Just cant seem to go get one made, always have something else going on or I just dont think about it.

Im sure if I ever loose it I will wish I had made time.

without a key, i think you are going to need the small tag that has your bikes key code on it that came with the keys when the bike was new

I think semi is right . When I bought mine they specifically told me not to lose the little tags that came with it for that reason .

I only have one and I even have a blank, Just cant seem to go get one made, always have something else going on or I just dont think about it.

Im sure if I ever loose it I will wish I had made time.

Get it done, I was in that spot. BLAM!! Lost the key an had uncut blank, while I was banging my head on the wall with an uncut blank in my hand, my sister in law calls an tells me it's at her house in gainsville. Got it mailed back to me an now I have 4 keys went to the hardware store 2blocks from house got it cut. Next Bike event Leesburg I had them cut 2 more there. Best 8 dollars I spent.

BTW What you pay for a blank ebay is what the locksmith will charge for a key cut to your needs. :whistle:

A good locksmith can cut a key with out the tags or codes.

i think you are going to need the small tag that has your bikes key code on it that came with the keys when the bike was new

Last edited:
Get it done, I was in that spot. BLAM!! Lost the key an had uncut blank, while I was banging my head on the wall with an uncut blank in my hand, my sister in law calls an tells me it's at her house in gainsville. Got it mailed back to me an now I have 4 keys went to the hardware store 2blocks from house got it cut. Next Bike event Leesburg I had them cut 2 more there. Best 8 dollars I spent.

BTW What you pay for a blank ebay is what the locksmith will charge for a key cut to your needs. :whistle:

A good locksmith can cut a key with out the tags or codes.

This could just be the kick in the butt I need

I know dealerships do it for cars. I've had it done for my car a couple of times. I figure ignition switches are more overly the same for a car as they are for a bike. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if it can happen. I'm curious now as what reasons they will give me if they can't do it.

Take your registration an DL. Reason is simple if you think about it, it may not be your bike even though you have the documentation to the bike. Some car dealers require that you bring them the car to get the problem fixed, motorcycle dealer may do the same . I still think you best bet is a talented locksmith. Good luck:thumbsup: Lets us know how it goes I am sure you aren't the first but it sure would be nice of you were the last :laugh: Get those duplicates people if they are missing :laugh:

I had only 1 key for my Project 05. I order 2 keys off Ebay and had a local hardware store cut them to my key.....now I have 3:thumbsup:

With out the key tag, the dealer will need the following

Proof of ownership
The code from the bottom of the ignition switch

This sort of happened to me. I misplaced my only key and no little key tag. These were my options:

1) Have dealer cut from VIN (nope - they said they don't do that anymore but would be happy to sell me a new ignition and gas cap :(
2) Take out all locks and send it to a locksmith specializing in bikes. About $130
3) Buy all locks off ebay used (about $200)

I got lucky and found the key. I bought two blanks off ebay and had them cut right away. I won't make that mistake again...

Look very hard for it or it's going to get expensive.

If you were drinking at the party, is it possible one of your friends collected it so you wouldn't ride?

They took my key out once so I would ride because they thought I was drunk. Although, i wasn't stumbling, slurring, and could walk a straight line. Even though all of them couldn't. Man was I pissed that night at them, and they had no clue why.

I got a new key made. $125 for a lock smith to drive 45 minutes make a new and drive back. They said if I could have taken the bike to them, it would have one been about $40 bucks. I did however get my key back. The girl who wanted a ride, found it two days later as she was filling her car with gas, stuck between the outside of her back windshield and trunk. I don't think she took it. I don't mind a joke being played on me, but when there are about 8 people spending a good 40 minutes looking for it. Well the joke just lost it's humor. Anyway, now I have three keys to my bike, so hopefully this never happens to me again... lol

Back