Lost my key! How to find ignition cyl code for new key?

James417

Registered
Hello so I hate to bring up a broken record kind of topic but, I lost my only key in a stupid way! I got my 1999 gen 1 Busa few months ago only came with one key. With all this crazy stuff going on we have been being strict about cleanliness. I put a garbage can in my room to help keep trash separate from rest of house. Unfortunately my temporary garbage can in my room was placed right under where I keep my keys I didn’t even think about it. Yeah pretty dumb. Even Dumber mistake was that I saw one of my spare car keys fall in the trash can and never thought about moving it. Being that haven’t had need to use key on bike while waiting for fuel lines to come in never checked for bike key. Can got emptied multiple times and what do you know? Fuel lines come in today and bike key no where to be found.....:redface: think it went in the trash. Tore the house apart looking for it and its gone. So now I’m trying to get new keys cut. Dealer said they can help me but need a code off of ingnition cylinder? Anyone know where this code is? I see some numbers on it but dealer said might need to drill rivets and take it apart to find code doesn’t sound fun... Thanks in advance BTW dumb lesson learned I’m getting a spare key and some key hooks so they don’t fall anymore!

So to update for anyone in a similair situation I needed to go to my local dealer with the ignition switch removed from tripple tree. It has 2 rubber caps covering break away bolts that they need to grind away to remove the inner lock cylinder. That's where the code is and they take that code cut couple keys and put switch back together. 20 or so dollar job depending on where you go or replace ignition and all locks for 5 times that price at least I'm guessing. So it sucks either way! Dont be dumb like me, keep those keys somewhere safe....

Last edited:
Back