Lost my job today...Fair or Unfair?

Gurley

Registered
I have posted about my job before and how my supervisor has a problem with my being a quiet person. I have really tried to work on that and everyone on my floor at the hospital I work at are getting along great with the exception of that particular supervisor who seems to still have a problem with me and enjoys making my life miserable at work.

So I look for another job one with normal dayshift hours (i now work 3-11pm)
so I will have more time with my family and can be in a more peaceful work environment. After looking for a while and finding nothing I get this call one day from a cardiac clinic I had applied to more than 6 months ago wanting to interview me if I was still interested so I go and they offer me the job. Its better hours and better pay with no weekends or holidays so naturally I accept and turn my notice in to my current job that day so I can start the new position as soon as possible.

I get a call roughly a week after accepting the job and turning in my 2 week notice that the clinic has lost a doctor and thier medicare so they can no longer afford to higher me and they are sorry. At this point my resignation is already approved and my position is open so I ask my director if there is anything that can be done because I really need to keep my job and I expalined what had happened. So he said he would have to talk to our clinical manager and the to enterum directors but not to worry becuase he was 99.9% sure that I could keep my job.

Well after 3 days of no one wanting to give me an answer.... I come in to work today and ask him if a decision has been made and he wont even talk to me about it he was just like the enterum directors would like to talk to you so I go in his office to speak with these 2 ladies of whom I have never met and who knows absolutely nothing about me. I walk in and they introduce themselves and say... Your resignation stands and we are posting your position sorry! However you can finish your schedule if u like. So I am like what the he **** just happened! So now I am offically unemployed:cursin:

Sorry for the length of this I am just a little upset.....

Last edited:
Hope things Work Out. Can you still get unemployment Now that you Technically QUIT your job ?

No unemployment has ever been issued to anyone from the hospital I work at!
Quit, get fired, layed off, or whatever you aint getting unemployment!

The Company I work for has the same kinda policy. You Quit, Get Fired............They will fight Unemployment...............SUCKS !!!!! Is there any other hospital you can look into ?

that sucks man. best of luck finding something new. i'd tell the cardiac clinic they need to do something to make it right.

The Company I work for has the same kinda policy. You Quit, Get Fired............They will fight Unemployment...............SUCKS !!!!! Is there any other hospital you can look into ?

I wish there was but everything closer than 2 hours away has been bought by the hospital I work for. So I am really just kinda stuck at this point not sure what to do.......

You can try UC, all they can do is fight it and then you can request a hearing. Technically you didnt quit!!!

I feel sorry for you and hope something comes up soon for you. OTOH, you tendered your resignation and your employer accepted it. Cannot really fault them for that although it would have been nice if they reconsidered when you tried to ask for your job back. Best of luck.

Sorry Gurley, :unhappy: I think its crap that they just said "see ya". It will cost them more money and time to find someone to replace you than it would to keep you. Sounds like they are biting off their nose to spite their face.

Maybe you can find something in a different field. maybe you can get some more/different education in a similar field and see if that opens new doorsfor you.

Sorry to hear it.
Might be a good time to go to college. Pick up free grant money, etc.
See what's available at the state employment development office. Or whatever they have in Tennessee.
There's money for training available there. And talk to legal aid. Or get a labor lawyer to take your case on contingency. You DO have rights, you know.

Good luck.
Now's the time to develop a fighting spirit.

One positive to look at is your career field is ALWAYS in demand, people get sick all the time and need care. Check around outside the area, some companies will help with moving costs for the right person to fill a position. Remember, everything is negotiable. :thumbsup:

I'd fight the unemployment as well, technically they terminated you since you revoked your resignation and you did give them the appropriate 2 weeks to start with not causing them to be left in a bind. You have a strong case with unemployment but you will have to stand up for it and not expect it to just be handed out from the sounds of it. It will cause some headache I'm sure and a couple days out of your life to attend the unemployment hearing(s) but in the long run if you win it will hold you through this rough patch until you can secure employment. Good luck!

Gurley, Whenever one door closes another will open. This may be a blessing in disguise for you. As humans we feel uncomfortable when we have change thrust upon us...you are in that uncomfortable state right now and it is scary. If you can't get any breaks one of the avenues you have is to go see a recruiting officer for the military. It is not as insane as you might think. Ogre, one of our board members, is leaving for the military soon...many of our org. members are military people. You can check into college things also...you can get money for National Guard duties also...get a plan going, work the plan, and this may just be lifes way of getting you out of your comfort zone for growth...hang in there...you will be okay...2hip

I had some unemployment issues once with a previous employer...when i handed them my pre paid legal card they decided they better pay....good luck

they never said you couldnt re-apply for your old position did they? its a thought

Stressful situation, for sure.

Hopefully you will be able to bridge the gap. Strange work environment, though...your boss not liking you because you're too quiet. Weird.

Good luck!

Every company fights unemployment - it's just cost effect, regardless of whether or not it's fair or ethical. And unfortunately, you did resign so I doubt that you'd be eligible anyway. Once your resignation is accepted, you really don't have a case.

I'm sure everything they're doing is legal and by the book, however that's not always the "right" thing to do. Good luck and I hope you find something soon.

I am sorry. Can you apply for other jobs within the hospital. Why can't you reapply for the your old job? Just a thought.

If you decide to go unemployment, fight it if they try to deny you. The same thing happened with my nephew. HRHDi is right alot of places do initially fight it, but most wont follow through with all the paperwork. So the applicant will eventually recieve the unemployment. Took Chris almost 3 months for unemployement to get settled and he was able to get a job not too long after that.

Good luck and keep your chin up. The good news is that you don't have to deal with that boss now. :)

good luck....just another reason I don't believe in 2 week notices and I make sure I 110% have a job before I walk away from the paying one

Back