Let's talk radar detectors and their setup

Going back to scheduled programming... Just wanted to add that the manufacturer of Moto-Raptor, Rocky Mountain Radar, is not a big company, but has been in business for about 20 years, and also offers speeding ticket rebate program - if a rider gets a ticket with their radar detector or scrambler: they will pay the fine only (not other costs) if the speed was no more than 15 mph or 35% over the limit, whichever less. Just called and confirmed that this was the case.

https://rockymountainradar.com/ticket-rebate-claim/

...which I think is a good indication that the company stands behind its product, right? What I also like about this company that it seems like a family operated business, which means you get a personalized customer service. I called 2-3 times over the past couple of weeks, got, I think, the same guy on the phone in a few seconds every time I called, and he answered my questions without any fuss. I like it.

I don't disagree at all. However I don't know what it turns out if you actually go and say OK I have a ticket now pay up.

Saying they will do it sounds great. Until you discover there is 1,001 reasons why yours won't apply that they don't discuss in the teaser offer.

I couldn't find anyone on the net who faulted them, and incline to believe their promise. I think I will order one unit within a few weeks, and then we will see.

I had an idea to install two radar detectors - one in the front, and one in the back, so that the one in the back could detect radar and laser from behind. After much research, and after RMR technical support answered all my questions, and explained how it all works, and additionally based on their customers' feedback - I purchased ONE unit, Moto-Raptor, as there is no need to have another unit in the back in order to detect radar from behind. Hope to receive it in a few days, and plan to do the install within a few weeks after that. Here are key factors which influenced by decision.

1. The detector has to be permanently mounted on the bike so I don't have to fiddle with putting it ON and taking it OFF.
2. It has to be stealthy, i.e. not visible. I don't care the law says it is legal where I ride. Cops are humans, and as such their reaction is predictable if they see a radar detector. Never mind if they see it after they pull be mover. They may just drive next to me and see it - and that's not a good thing.
3. Has to have a headset with audio alert, visual is a plus. This one has both.
4. No cords because I move around the bike too much, i.e. wireless.
5. Should not be detected by RDD. This one does not emit any RF beyond a few feet - all sealed inside with high density circuitry.
4. Tech support has to be great, and it was - even BEFORE I made any purchase. Can't beat care and friendly attitude of a family run business.
5. Simplicity of install and use. And it has both. Mount the unit under the nose, and connect to the power. The headset is attached to the helmet with velcro, so I can remove it when not needed (like for a track day). The headset has a rechargeable battery which will last for at least 8-10 hours of riding.

Good luck with the under the nose fairing mount, keep us posted.

Thought about mounting mine there but there's really not a lot of space between under the nose and front fender. I'm not a wheelie guy but I've seen marks on guys front fenders from the nose touching either from coming down off a wheelie or a monster pothole :hide:

Yeah 1Busa, That's my thoughts. I have been looking for a place to stick mine and I am almost desperate to figure it out. I can't find a place in the front of the bike where the RD and a waterproof case will fit. I am now looking at alternate headlights so I can use the stock headlight as a location for the RD. I keep looking at putting it under the nose but the exposure, and limited space have made that a no go so far. I still think maybe mounting the RD in the rear will work. The Beltronics guys said that a human body in front of the RD would be a performance issue. But radar waves must propagate like any other wave so they should go around stuff. On top of that radar isn't supposed to be line of sight like laser is.

That's why I have been looking at a hard tank bag. Basically if there isn't any room then make some. But that too is proving to be a big ask. I have a pile of foam board in the garage and it's proving really hard to come up with something that doesn't look like a big lump of foam!

1busa, a valid concern... In the older days, I installed an extra horn on top of the stocker, and it was hitting the front fender. But it was really sticking out, and at the time I didn't realize what I've done until I heard the clunking sound and saw the marks on the fender. However, I think if the nose hits the front fender in the two scenarios you described, a rider would have more serious problems to deal with. I hit a pothole so hard once that it bent both rims, however I don't believe the nose even touched the fender. A wheelie should never be landed hard - always on the gas. I am not a wheelie addict, and the few I've done where just 1-2 ft for a moment, and I managed to land them smoothly as butter - always on the gas. So, that's not an issue.

Arch, the Moto-Raptor is small (i.e. low profile), waterproof by design, and already comes with the mounting bracket and hardware. It was specifically designed to be installed under the nose on most any bike, and the company accumulated an extensive feedback from numerous users. As to the idea of installing in the back, it's a no-no. The signal will be so weak that this would defeat the entire purpose. Line of sight is the best for radar. The high frequency radio waves behave almost like light. They do go around to a small degree, but in such case the signal strength entering the detector could easily be many times weaker, effectively reducing the detection range from maybe 1-2 miles to maybe 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so.

This logic works well for the under nose mount. If the radar is shot from behind when a LEO follows a rider, it's usually a relatively short distance - 1/4 mile of less. So, the radar signal is very strong to begin with, and the detector will still pick it up, although possibly delayed by a couple of seconds. No one shoots stationary radar from behind while being miles away.

Here is one scenario illustrating the importance of mounting the detector to be in line of sight and therefore receiving maximum strength signal. Let's say a LEO is hiding behind an overpass and shooting from behind on passing vehicles. If the detector alerts you at that time, it's too late. However, as you are approaching an overpass, the reflected signal from other vehicles ahead of you gets picked up by your detector. Keep in mind that the reflected signal is already many times weaker than the signal coming out of a radar gun. You really don't want to create any additional circumstances which can weaken the signal even further.

Wanted to clarify regarding their ticket rebate program... this is for radar/laser SCRAMBLERS only, and not for detectors.

Do you have it yet IG? Send a photo when you do. I think I may have found a place for my RD. I looks like it might work in the left side fairing just about top of the fender high. When the suspension compresses this are has a small pocket the RD and waterproof case might fit. Problem is there isn't anything out there metal to bolt it to.......

I got the package yesterday, barely looked, but didn't have a chance to do anything. Are you referring to the content of the package, or when it's already installed? Because if it's the first one, I can take a couple of shots easily, but if you are referring to the install, this may take a while - like a few weeks, until I find time to do it.

Here is what I got in the package... The main module is the square box, exactly 24 mm thick. The mounting bracket and a couple of screws are behind it. A couple of wiring pieces to the left of it. The helmet headset and the ear piece (which plugs into the helmet headset) is to the right of it. The ear piece goes inside the helmet right up against your ear. On the right is AC adapter to charge the helmet headset which is attached to the side of the helmet with velcro, and can be removed. The helmet headset has a bright light attached on a flexible stick which can be positioned within your view, so you get audio as well as visual alerts.

Moto%20Raptor%20in%20box.jpg

OK IG that definitely looks doable. What is that unit 3.5x3.5x1 inch or so? Having the unit itself be waterproof is a big advantage as far as space. Is the radar horn facing the bracket? Very interesting. I might have to join you in that little experiment. I might go out with both that and the Beltronics and see if the alerts are comparable.

SOB! I went on the website this morning and that unit was $189. Decided during the day to buy one too and now it's $299.95! Sucks!.

Damn.... that sucks Fallen :banghead:

Next time you come across a deal just put it on a credit card. Buy now/Pay later..... or @ least that's how I justify buying stuff 4 my bikes :laugh:

In early December, I saw $129 on walmart website, and thought this would stay forever. After the New Year's, I finally decided to get serious. Went on walmart website, and they were out of stock, then $189 or so.

The unit is vibration proof, weatherproof and can sustain rain and car wash. However, the manual recommends to not submerge the unit into water (and who would in their right mind). I looked at the front of the bike carefully, and not sure about the clearance. Need to measure more carefully. One other place I might consider would be above the gauges and right under the windscreen, but I am not sure if my tinted windscreen might be partially blocking laser signal.

The unit is 3" long, and 3.5" wide, and almost 1" thick. Obviously, the radar/laser antenna has to face the front and be unobstructed. In the picture above, the lens/antenna is visible on the left side of the main module, and the tabs for the bracket are visible at the front and back (the width between brackets is 3.5").

Can I make a suggestion? If you saw the discounted price on RMR website, and missed it, try to call them up, and tell them that you wanted to buy at the time the price was discounted (tell them at what time you saw the price), but your internet connection went down, and ask them if they could please honor the discounted price. They are very nice, and this might work. Worth a shot.

Off topic, but it's funny that the manual refers to the two types of bikes - "cruisers" and "speed bikes" when talking about installation.

Back