Lacquer thinner safe for chain?

Ok, thanks for the quick response BBK!
bowdown.gif

(micronp450 @ Feb. 25 2007,14:58) I know kerosene is recommended but I have some lacquer thinner in the garage. Am I safe with that?

Thanks
You can get kerosene from Lowes or Home Depot for about $7 a gallon that will last forever.

Don

Its probably ok. Heck I even use left over peanut oil from deepfrying my turkeys for lubing my chain.

I bought a 5 gal drum of kerosene for $20 over 3 yrs ago and haven't even used 1/4 of it. Gonna have to buy a space heater for the garage to use this stuff up
biggrin.gif

(pward76 @ Feb. 25 2007,17:57) I wouldn't want to get any excess flung onto my paint.....
Forget about the paint.  Laquer thinner will melt any plastic or rubber that it is contact with for any length of time.  I soaked the metal tips from my HVLP gravity fed paint gun in the paint cup.  It ate the plastic gaskets between the cup and the gun.  

Not something I would even try getting close to the bike.  Just my .02

(hayabusa99b/w @ Feb. 25 2007,15:53)
(Hayabusa-J.R. @ Feb. 25 2007,13:35) the best stuff is dupont mutli-purpose other sites reccomend it.it cleans and waxs your chain amazingly
+1 on this!!!
beerchug.gif
+1, this is the only stuff I use now and would be real hard to go back or switch to anything else.

036121191570.jpg

"Baby baby no more "o" rings -- need a new chain and some kerosene" sounds like a blues song if I ever heard one.

Thanks for all the replies. I have chain lube. But it is pretty dirty so I figured I would clean it. Looks like WD-40 or Kero is the way to go.

Thanks

(BusaSamurai @ Feb. 25 2007,15:04) WD-40 and  a rag is all you need ...
keep it simple wd-40 to clean , go for a ride when ya get home lube with chain lube of your choice when chain is warm .

(micronp450 @ Feb. 25 2007,15:58) I know kerosene is recommended but I have some lacquer thinner in the garage.  Am I safe with that?

Thanks
no no no no no no no ...oh, did I mention NO?
tounge.gif

Back