Kiwi’s Workshop, the Unusual Mechanical Disasters!

can´t u post a foto of both sides of that part with the thread in ?

i would like to see both sides

and with a "co8" driller (contains 8% of cobalt = super stabil even at 10.9 quality) it is poss. to drill any usual steel , no matter what qual. it has .
The bike is at work so I will get a foto of the (broken off portion of the) bolt stuck in the end of the output shaft, posted up here on Tuesday morning. . . it's a public holiday on Monday, "King's Birthday".
Thanks for the info on the co8 drill bit, I'll see if that type is available here.
I'll take photos as I do the drilling and removal coz I know you would enjoy that lol.

Is it possible that the gear does not fit the shaft properly? My thought is that if the gear wobbles on the shaft it may have angle loaded the bolt causing the head of the bolt to cheer off.

It's far easier to break a bolt when you pull out an angle than it is straight on.

Either way it's an interesting find!

watching the screw´s cracked "end"

i would suppose material fault - bad luck but that can happen at nearly every screw.

guess the repair will be a bit expensive . :(
Phewwww!!
I had a win with the removal of the broken bolt end from the output shaft..
I managed to centre punch the broken end of the bolt close to centre thank goodness, the I thought I’d just try a regular 3mm drill bit to start with… and it cut ok and drilled right thru the bolt.
Then I stepped it up to 4.5mm, then 6mm.
Then I carefully knocked in the ezy-out and started to move it.
It was a slow unwinding process as it was fitted with thread locker, but it came WITHOUT snapping off the ezy-out thank goodness!
Next step is fitting the new bolt and putting it all back together.

E231F52C-5408-4362-9EA0-B501FD971AED.jpeg

43C5301C-2925-4041-A3FE-3CA4FF33526F.jpeg

6F8E1A7D-6063-4607-A4E2-BE7664E5791D.jpeg

783ED540-5ADD-40E0-8ECB-11BD3F5DB92F.jpeg

Is it possible that the gear does not fit the shaft properly? My thought is that if the gear wobbles on the shaft it may have angle loaded the bolt causing the head of the bolt to cheer off.

It's far easier to break a bolt when you pull out an angle than it is straight on.

Either way it's an interesting find!
No, the gear fits the shaft just fine, the splines fit together nicely so no problem there, I reckon it must’ve been a flaw in the bolt material, fractured and finally let go.

Who on Earth would spend $38K on a BMW when this sort of stuff happens?
These 3 brand new R1250GS Beemers were on our showroom floor and the calipers leaked all over the fork lower caliper mounting castings.
I have been tasked with replacing the fork sliders and calipers under warranty.
Thgis is going to cost BMW a fair heap of money to sort this issue worldwide.
The calipers are branded "BYBRE", cast into the backside and "BMW is cast into the outside facing side.
BYBRE is the Indian version of Brembo. . . . go figure.
This is a disaster on BMW's part.
They should have just fitted Brembo calipers in the first place.

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

Have a look at this and give me your thoughts on how this could possible eventuate and end up like this…
Bike is a Suzuki VZ1500 Boulevard 2009 model, 30,000 miles on the clock and appears to have never had any major repairs, only servicing.
Owner brought it into work with a horrible whirring/whining noise on decel in all gears, slight noise on power but really bad on decel.
After narrowing down the area the noise was coming from it appeared to be from the output shaft area.
The bevel drive gear coming from the output shaft of the gearbox is retained by a large No. 10 graded bolt and shim type washer. The head of the bolt and the washer had snapped clean off the threaded end of the bolt, and dropped down into the housing narrowly avoiding being crunched by the bevel drive.
Here’s some pics… crazy huh?
We have theorised about the cause of the break in the bolt, but I’m really interested to hear what y’all think…

View attachment 1667063

View attachment 1667064

View attachment 1667065

View attachment 1667066

View attachment 1667067
In large factories, running high speed automated production, a failure like that can cost hundred thousands of dollars in a few minutes. So folks spend a lot of time on failure analysis. They also do continuous vibration analysis with software which tracks and flags any changing trends. For some alone, that is a full time job, all they do is analyse the data and manage the analysis equipment.

Could be a few reasons why that failed, hard to know without detailed history of the bike. It usually starts with a minute crack of fracture and then the fatigue cycles grows the fracture until it fails. Those M109's have a lot of vibration, could be as simple as a rider coasting along at too low RPM's or past abuse, or something else.

Back