Kiwi’s Workshop, the Unusual Mechanical Disasters!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Have a look at this and give me your thoughts on how this could possible eventuate and end up like this…
Bike is a Suzuki VZ1500 Boulevard 2009 model, 30,000 miles on the clock and appears to have never had any major repairs, only servicing.
Owner brought it into work with a horrible whirring/whining noise on decel in all gears, slight noise on power but really bad on decel.
After narrowing down the area the noise was coming from it appeared to be from the output shaft area.
The bevel drive gear coming from the output shaft of the gearbox is retained by a large No. 10 graded bolt and shim type washer. The head of the bolt and the washer had snapped clean off the threaded end of the bolt, and dropped down into the housing narrowly avoiding being crunched by the bevel drive.
Here’s some pics… crazy huh?
We have theorised about the cause of the break in the bolt, but I’m really interested to hear what y’all think…

2E2796F6-8106-4114-AC46-FF4732F28DC3.jpeg

F170FD4E-484E-4A5E-8314-AAA2FA8B2885.jpeg

E19F0701-AFFE-400B-98BF-C3249C4E45D6.jpeg

D4A2D413-F44B-42C9-8E61-4FA1BBB17865.jpeg

CD2E878D-B0A1-49D0-A302-CC4D9728EEAF.jpeg

Hmm... Interesting..Having had a 109, that surprises me..

Wonder if owner had been trying to do some "burn outs" or "lay some rubber"
Esp if they have fitted a wider tyre than stock which is a common mod
the guy that owns it is a hippy looking dude with long hair and a laid back attitude, in his thirties, the bike is in average original condition, tyres are stock sizes and it doesn't look to be abused . . . he's had it about a year, but we don't know the previous owner's history or the service history of the bike itself.
I asked him if it (the noise) had happened suddenly or over time . . . he shrugged and said he's only just noticed it recently.
Now . . .the fun will be in trying to remove the loctited broken off threaded portion of the bolt (recessed) from the shaft.
To access it the entire swingarm and shaft etc has to be removed.
Thje drilling the high tensile bolt will be fun, even just center punching it will be tricky.
I will use a tungsten carbide drill bit and a Wurth screw extractor . . .

We haven't heard from the owner yet so can't start work on it til we do.
He was worried the engine would have to come out and gearbox work done, not so, thank goodness.

@Kiwi Rider

i NEVER use again the left extractors - to dangerous to crack the extr. in the screw and then ?

I personally avoid the left extractor like the devil avoids holy water !

no - better way would be to bore the entire rest of screw
and using the a torx ratchet-nut

By drilling into the screw stub, the "pressure" escapes from its end and the rest is usually very easy to unscrew
because the torx exerts only minimal pressure on the "wall" of the thread
and the stub does not wedge again (which it guaranteed to do when extracting to the left and then breaks off and then "good night").

We have theorised about the cause of the break in the bolt, but I’m really interested to hear what y’all think…

I know little about mechanical stuff but I do think that this is a beautiful piece of custom artwork. The cuts, the flaring, like a little fragile flower...Michelangelo would be jealous.

May I buy it to mount in my foyer?

kiwi broken bolt scaled.jpeg

watching the screw´s cracked "end"

i would suppose material fault - bad luck but that can happen at nearly every screw.

guess the repair will be a bit expensive . :(
The end of the bolt that is left in the shaft looks like any other broken bolt . .
The photo of the head of the bolt, the 'sliced up' broken end, obviously happened due to bouncing around and being'nipped' by the bevel gear teeth.
I agree, it will be a 'material fault', and it will be expensive to repair, the labour content alone will be at least $500 @ 5 hours, probably more.

I know little about mechanical stuff but I do think that this is a beautiful piece of custom artwork. The cuts, the flaring, like a little fragile flower...Michelangelo would be jealous.

May I buy it to mount in my foyer?

View attachment 1667096
Sure . . .you do realize it's 3 ft diameter?
The postage from Kiwiland will be thru the roof . . . and I think the owner said he wants USD1000 to cover his expenses , , , oh and there's my commission as the broker on this transaction . .oh plus tax and sales duty etc.
You sure you wanna go ahead with the deal?

@Kiwi Rider

other idea (brainstroming)

what does the back of this component look like?

could you cut a normal thread into it (from its backside) and then simply (further) unscrew the remaining piece of thread with a screw?
The broken end of the bolt is stuck in the end of the output shaft, it's Grade 10 high tensile steel and will be a bee-arch to drill out, let alone tap a thread into it.

The broken end of the bolt is stuck in the end of the output shaft, it's Grade 10 high tensile steel and will be a bee-arch to drill out, let alone tap a thread into it.

can´t u post a foto of both sides of that part with the thread in ?

i would like to see both sides

and with a "co8" driller (contains 8% of cobalt = super stabil even at 10.9 quality) it is poss. to drill any usual steel , no matter what qual. it has .

Back