Kids on the back

My daughters first ride was around the lawn on my GSXR750 she used to sit in her playpen and watch me polishing the parts and frame etc. WHen I got the bike back together she has always done everything with me so I took her around the lawn she held onto the fuel vent tube remember those on the old Gixxers and leaned on the tank in front of me. That was about 1 years maybe a little older. She would ride in front of me for small rides like to the store and back or around the block. When she was so big her helmet hit me in the jaw I figured she should ride on back but I didnt like it much. I bought a buddy blet I could wrap around her and I so there was no way to fall off . That was about 5-6 again still small rides afraid to take her very far about 8 she was riding on back and I might go 10 miles in town and back. Now she is 12 and she has been riding a dirtbike for quite some time. We have matching helmets and motorcycle jackets etc. I think I have desensitized her some because even when I go around a corner and try to get a little low to get a rise out of her (not dragging a knee or anything jsut leaning more than you have to kind of thing) she just says "is that all you got" She has drivin it a few times in a big parking lot with me on back she thinks she is pretty cool most of the time. I dont take her friends for rides unless they ask there parents and even then we go through the rules before they go. They are older like 12 - 13 so they understand hang on wrap your arms around me keep your feet on the pegs and just go where I go. But those rides are small ones around a parking lot or something like that.

I have two older children and put them on whenever they could touch the pegs.

Of course one at a time and driving as careful as possible.

But ... be aware ... kids can fall asleep during a rock concert and unless you have them "belted" to you this should be a big concern.

Feet must reach without stretching. Thier strength decieds speeds and where. Got to stay in that comfort zone.

i thank you all for sharing. i have a buddy belt but i don't wrap it around my son he hangs on to it but we have only done the parking lot thing i am thinking of trying a newly paved back rode behind my house just to show him what the rode is like. ( with the belt i always felt it if we did crash it would be better if he were not attached to me. i am about 290 pounds.)

My daughter is 7 and loves the bike. I bought her a childs full face helmet (pink and white), Leather jacket, and off road riding gloves. We have the multi handled belt that I wear and I have a Corbin with a backrest for the passenger seat. She has to wear work boots and jeans when we go out. I just added an intercom system to ours helmets so we can talk without her having to try to get my attention.

We started the riding obsession on my quad when she turned 5. Now if I'm on anything with a motor she wants to go along...

I'm wondering this same thing nowadays...

Both of my sons are in love with motorcycles and I've already had to tell my 3 year old "no, Mommy doesn't have the back seat on" as he stood there in tears, his dirt bike helmet in hand begging me to take him for a spin...

I'm worried, like every parent is, yet I have such vivid memories of riding with my Dad at age 5 on the back of his Honda through the neighborhood and sand dunes in CO...I hope to build memories like that with my sons too...excited and worried at the same time
smile.gif
sad.gif

I started riding 2 years ago. My son is 13, at age 12 rode with me, and loves it, the wife finally rode and likes it. My 16 year old swore she would not ride. After her mother rode the daughter asked for a ride. I gave her a SLOW ride. She has been on the bike twice.

i had to ask my dad, but i was eight when i started rideing on the back, with him on his 750 four, heck i say if they can flat foot the pegs let'em ride, as long as they have the right gear and all....

I'd love to take my son for a ride now and then. He's 3 years old now. I don't think I could live with myself if something were to happen to him. It's one thing to risk my life everytime I throw a leg over a bike, but it's another thing entirely to risk his.

My son is 10, well he has been for like a week now...

He has ridden on the back of the Busa since I bought it last year.
He says "the chicks dig it"....

I suspect he is right!

My 9 year old boy goes for close to home trips after he puts his Helmet on,Gloves,Boots,Icon coat and jeans with lower leg Armor and yes I were it all too.

I feel ya with the kids on the back. I only take my kids through the neighborhood. I just don't feel comfortable taking them on the highway with all the nuts out there.

All really good suggests/comments! Really comes down to "YOU" the driver and at minimum the following...
Passenger
1. Must be able to reach foot pegs
2. Should have "all" age appropriate gear
3. Simple understanding of what to expect while riding, lean angles, braking, Why to avoid the exhaust pipe, etc...
When I use to ride my little ones I liked the idea of a belt buddy and the addition of a backrest to the rear seat!

My step son is 8 and worships the busa. Wants to ride all the time, but it scares me. I jsut dont like having him on the back of it. I will take him around the neighborhood and down the road and thats it. He has a helmet and gloves, need to get him a jacket.

Even though you can never be sure I think alot of it is place you ride highway speeds are higher and people are worse drivers. I oftn wondered about the buddy belt around her but at the age she was I was more paranoid about her looking around and falling off or something silly like that than crashing so I put the belt around her. My buddy does the same thing on his 4 wheeler when he rides his 4 year old son. Kids will fall asleep no matter where so my daughter and I have a system where I squeeze her leg and she squeezes me back with her knees twice so I know she is still paying attention. Hey remember when we where kids. My father worked on a crushing crew crushing rock. As a kid I drove fuel trucks fueling the equipment up and 18 wheelers bucket loaders etc and I was 13-14 I used to ride in the bucket and my dad would pick me up as high as it would go driving along. The Excavator operator would drop the bucket down and let me get in to bring him his coffee and pick me up the hill in it. No helmets when we rode our pedal bikes LOL how did we survive all that

Back