Kids on the back

cmc8

Donating Member
Registered
i was wondering at what age people had taken there children for rides on the back. my son begs me daily i have given him the parking lot rides but he wants to hit the streets. just wanted to know how old your kids were before you let them on the back.

my son is tall for his age he is 5 1/2 and can flatfoot the pegs. so i have started him in the parking lot.

Daughter 11 has quite a few miles. Son 5, very tall, has been down street twice.
If they can flat foot pegs, have a good fitting helmet and gear, and understand how to follow your body lean then it's good... I guess.

You know I've been battling this for a while. My sisters keep bugging me about taking their kids for a ride on the busa. Are they stupid? I keep telling them what happens if they panic and fall off? Their response...Well you'll begoing slow. STUPID!!!! I just want to slap people that retarded. How bout when they fall off if they get run over or dragged. How about the well being of your child?!? I won't do it. It would be one thing if you could fit them in front of you like on an old cruiser but this is completely different.

More power to those that want to chance it.

I used to drive people's kids around but no more. If they aren't 18 and have good medical insurance, it ain't gonna happen.

At the very least, however, their feet need to reach the pegs comfortably and they need to be able to reach all the way around the driver and clasp their hands together very firmly. No grab bar as a subsitute for this. Gear and other usual backpack instructions to apply as always.

--Wag--

Nothing bothers me more than this subject. I am sorry but kids have no business on the back of a bike. Too many bad things can happen.
Last year at Daytona i saw this couple with their kid riding in between them. Yes 3 up on the bike
mad.gif
I just starred at the idiots, i couldn't beleive that someone would do this. All it takes is one screw up to turn the cutesy fun junior is having on the bike into a tragedy.

My 8yr old i sit on the back around the block every now and then, my 6yr old who is small for his age i sit in front of me and take around the block.

i ride my daughter around every now and then and she is 6 she is tall though and can reach the pegs and is getting better about leaning with me. but she was ridin my harley at about 2 around the neighborhood, its your kid and your decision what other people say and do is there decision

I wouldn't think of riding my son on the back!
rock.gif

Dont need to, he has a busa of his own.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

When my oldest daughter was 8, now11, we took a trip on the sportster of around 1300 miles. She loved it and is always wanting me to get another Sportster. I sold it to get my Busa. My other daughter which is now 7 likes to ride down the block and back. They both ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers so they know the concept.

there is a gy here who used to put 2 of is kids on the back to go to the store or whatever so hmm i had to tell him he shouldnt then he got pulled over and yeah he listened then

I ride my children around on the side roads quite often. The biggest fear I have had is not just inadvertently falling off, but that they get comfortable and then they don't hold on to me like the should. The Busa is hard to accelerate easy, like some cruisers, and I have felt them get jerked back when changing gears and/or accelerating. To help, I added the Corbin rear seat and back rest which gives me a lot more comfort. Check it out. It still is not enough for my 5.5 year old to go far, but I am not worried about him going off the back.

I would not ride other children just do to liability, but your own children is a personal decision. I have pictures of me and my dad when I was 3 or 4 on a Honda 305 dream - I hope my kids will cherrish the time the ride with me like I did with my dad.

My little girl is 2. She likes to ride around with me, only in the subdivision i live in, not out on the road, and we go 10-15 mph. she sits in front of me and straps on her little helmet. Whenever i ask her if she wants to go for a ride, she runs to her bicycle and grabs it.....she sees me wearing mine all the time, so to her its something she knows she has to have and she doesnt mind at all.

Have taken my 3 yr old for rides. Only with the hump on, her sitting behind me. Oh, and its in my yard(have about 3 acres) at about 2 mph. She loves it. She is always begging to go on the street with me. I told her that by the time she is old enough to ride on the back, I probably wont have a bike anymore. My way of saying she will never ride on the back of the bike.

In Kalifornia the law is that they must be able to reach both pegs with their feet.

My daughter started riding on the Ninja when she was 2. She sat on the gas tank and held onto the bars. I went around the block only in an isolated subdivision. Never out of first.

When she was 5 I drove her to kindergarten and she rode on the back. Her feet were on the pegs. Never on highway; just backroads for about 1/2 mile.

She has always been geared up and is a responsible passenger.

Once she reached 8 or so she started riding on the back on the highway. Now I can't pry her off of it and she's begging for a 500 for her first bike after she finishes MSF in a few months.

Step daughter was 4, Step son was 7, nephew was 6 (on his birthday!)
He begged his mom for a month!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Step son was excited but chicken out. Step daughter (wearing mom's helmut) practically leapt onto the bike.
500' down the road I feel this insistent nudging on my right elbow.
My stepdaughter pushes her head in there and says," Go faster . . .Go faster!"
We get back and she is so enthusiastic my step son decides he HAS to go too.
My wife is putting the helmet on his head whe he starts saying,"No mom, wait mom, No mom!"
My wife tells him to be quiet he is going for a ride.
I look over and my wife is putting the helmet on backwards!
blush.gif

Was funny as hell!

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1444"|1150943598 -->

I took my kid to school the last day of school this year on the back of Guinevere. He is 12 and going into the 7th grade. He was the bomb for the day. He and his mother followed me to the beginning of the dead end street where is school is located. He got to go about 2 blocks and that is all that he will ever get to go. I am ok risking me on the bike, but I am not putting him at risk with all the dumbazz cagers out there.

Don

i have 2 kids 8 and 9 they both have been riding for a year. they are both tall enough to touch the pegs and strong enough to hold on.
far as safety gear. helmet that fits, leather gloves,pants Jean jacket, hiking boots. i want them to be in the habit of protection. and now for sefety gear.
i have a waist belt that is made for a passenger to hold on to it has handles on it. and now i also have a backrest,so no one flips off the back. i never take them on the exp way, just around town. but be honest explain what happens if the fall off. if they can not understand that their to young. just my 2.5 cents

post_11_26379_DSCF0492__Medium_.jpg

Back