K11 'Busa - 303 HP

Sometimes if you stand back or look at it from a picture you notice things.

I had all my stuff powdercoated black same as you but I also removed my belly pan. Didn't notice it until someone said 'hey now you need to black out your rear suspension link and dogbones'

In person near the bike I never noticed it but afterward you can tell a difference.

You can see it still in the white in this pic.
6d79fdaa.jpg

Then afterward..
16677a44.jpg

Just one of those little cosmetic things we lose sleep over, you know :laugh:

Be sure and put a camera on that beast when you take her to the track so we can see what she's got! :thumbsup:

Since you totaled your previous bike and are now riding 300hp would it be prudent to change your username?
:)

Since you totaled your previous bike and are now riding 300hp would it be prudent to change your username?
:)

I've thought about that. I have a G2BoostedBusa gmail address I could use. But, there is so much history there. That came from when I hit a barrier wall at high speed on the zx7r way back in 1995. I loved that bike. So, I bought the zx9r. Of course I wrecked and totaled my K9 Busa . . .

Anyway, I think I'll keep it!

Hard do to that on with the rubber in it. I've seen it beakdown first hand. On my 9, I'm spraying it instead of coating.

No, I wasn't talking about an engine kit. I'm talking about how turbo's take a minor engine issue and make it a big problem. I did the turbo route and had nothing but issues. My bigbore was way better for street use and actually more fun to ride. Boost is nice to a point. Though not being able to top out the bike at all kinda sucks with the turbo unless you have a secondary map available. I talked to the late Dave-o about all these issues and he confirmed them.

Better not ever get a kinked fuel line or you'll have holes in them pistons.

Really sounds like you must have had lots of problems, GM. I understand how that would have soured you on Turbos.

The first housing I put on this bike made alot more horsepower (289 at the time). But, the boost was all above 6K. The bike was NOT fun. Then, I spoke with Richard and we moved to a smaller housing which made less horsepower (265) at the time but it came in around 2500 as you can see in the current dyno. Adding the AMS got our boost levels up in higher gears so that we were slightly over 300.

What's your big bore, high compressiion put out? If someone slapped a big bore on, with weak rod mains, what do you think would happen? Most high performance mods can have bad results on a poorly prepped motor. Turbos, big bores, whatever. Big bores can have temperature issues, starting issues (24v anyone?) and oil consumption issues.

Fact is, my lower compression motor runs great, and due to our boost setup I expect no long term issues. But, it is a quality build and I take care of my stuff, so at the slightest hint of an issue I'm investigating.

Are turbos for everyone? No. But they do have the best $/hp available.

Edit: I don't understand your statement of 'not being able to top out the bike at all'. I can run my bike to redline in each gear, regardless of the map I have in. Fuel mapping adjusts accordinally. It's just a matter of having the space to do it. If you were unable to top out your bike do to fuel mapping it sounds like you had too much turbo, or a less than optimum tune, a Gen1 or a combination of the 3.

No, I wasn't talking about an engine kit. I'm talking about how turbo's take a minor engine issue and make it a big problem. I did the turbo route and had nothing but issues. My bigbore was way better for street use and actually more fun to ride. Boost is nice to a point. Though not being able to top out the bike at all kinda sucks with the turbo unless you have a secondary map available. I talked to the late Dave-o about all these issues and he confirmed them.

Better not ever get a kinked fuel line or you'll have holes in them pistons.

What kind of gas and boost levels are you running to get that 303hp?

91 QT gas
Water Injection
19 lbs of boost.
Boost map is 6,7,8,9,9,9.
Secondary map is 7,8,9,10,11,11 - this is the 303 pull.

Keep in mind that is PSI added to the top of the 6 pound spring. The hat gains a couple psi also on the blow off valve. So 11 in the ams = ~19.

Most of the time cruising around, I'm not in boost. An acceleration run up a ramp, or on the high way might see 14 in 3rd, but by that time you are looking to shut it down.

Boost in the upper gears is more for stonger roll-on's, at least that's how I use it.

A redline shift from 1 to second is going ot result in additional tire smoke (redline in 1 your either spinning the tire, or the front end is way up and you have to back out if it hooks). An air shift from 2nd to 3rd results in a higher front end if you were already up, or a nice power wheelie if you weren't. 3 to 4 results in a beautiful 8-9" powerwheelie - keep in mind you are going past 130 at this point. I haven't done a 4-5 or 5-6 yet except for on the dyno.

Wish I had more cash to put in mine , those are nice #s

That's funny. I have a racer friend here that is doing the suspension setup on my ZX9R track bike I'm building (and waaay over budget on). He asked if I knew how much it cost to race . . . well, the answer was 'all of it'. :laugh:

I meant top speed runs, not running to redline. A sustained high RPM situation will build more heat than the fuel mapping can support. A run up to redline isn't an issue. Yeah, my issues with turbo's really soured my taste for it all. I bought an already turbo'd busa and the guy lied to me saying the bike was ready to ride. It wasn't, as it would overheat from the crappy Hahn turbo kit and crappy fuel mapping it had. Not to mention the blown headgasket. Then I swapped to a RCC stage1 kit on a stock engine. All was fine till I it the highway and wound it out. I burnt all 4 stock pistons and cracked the cylinder. The head was done too. The only conclusion anyone could come to was that the fuel line got kinked enough to starve the engine and cause a lean out condition. Then I went all out and built and engine. JE low comp pistons, two intake cams(bad choice later i found, killed the low end torque) and fully studded everything. Undercut trans, the works. But the tuner tuned it for WOT only even after I looked him eye to eye and said to tune it for street riding too. In short the bike ran awesome at WOT and ran like dog poop at everywhere else. Before the engine let go we checked it on the dyno and found that at cruise speed 70mph the A/F was a crazy lean 16:8.1. I set the fuel to where it should have been at 13:4 a/f and gained 27hp at partial throttle cruise condition! But by then it was too late, though I didn't know it at the time. What really happened is that my turbo bike was my only ride and I just got burnt out of working on it and spend money on it. I owned the bike for 2 years, rode it only 4.5 months TOTAL and spent around $21K with the cost of the bike.

Back