Jumping out of second gear

too many toys

Registered
Sometimes during moderate to hard acceleration my 07 jumps out of second gear and goes back into neutral. Does the linkage need some adjusting or am I screwed?

If it jumps back to neutral and stays in neutral you arent shifting it hard enough into second gear. If it jumps in and out of gear and in and out of gear while under hard acceleration then you have a tranny problem. Probably an expensive one.

Try a much more firm action when making the 1-2 shift-it likes it,really:thumbsup: but if I'm reading this correctly,your already in 2nd and under WOT, it starts to pull then jumps out???? This would require internal repairs:eek:Are you the first owner & how many miles are on it?

You're screwed, but winter is approaching and you get to build it back right. :thumbsup:

If you're in gear and pulling loose of 2nd, then you're going to need gears.

Sometimes during moderate to hard acceleration my 07 jumps out of second gear and goes back into neutral. Does the linkage need some adjusting or am I screwed?

Most likey it is the Dogs and slots are rounded off. The gears need to be replaced. It is best to replace the gears next to and across from each other to make sure you not have any problems in the future. Prices are for DIY $750+ Shop $2000. But you will never have any issues in the future when done right. I like to undercut the 1st, 2nd, 3rd just a tad to get better engagement. I have done this to many liter+ bikes. MMI grad and instructor with 20+ years of experience in the Motorcycle race and repair.

Sorry for the bad news.

I would try adjusting your shift pedal downward first. This will give you a more firm shift into 2nd. Take your time and shift it right & then gas it. If it still pops out, you have a tranny problem.

If you DIY, you can do this for under $500 and even cheaper if you only undercut second gear..

I did the upshift side of all gears, new gaskets, seals, oil and coolant for under $425

They can also re-weld the dogs ($5 each) and you have better than new

If you DIY, you can do this for under $500 and even cheaper if you only undercut second gear..

I did the upshift side of all gears, new gaskets, seals, oil and coolant for under $425

They can also re-weld the dogs ($5 each) and you have better than new

You forgot to warn him about the carpet Randy :whistle:

Try a much more firm action when making the 1-2 shift-it likes it,really:thumbsup: but if I'm reading this correctly,your already in 2nd and under WOT, it starts to pull then jumps out???? This would require internal repairs:eek:Are you the first owner & how many miles are on it?

Yeah, Im already in second and under hard throttle it jumps out. I am the first owner and the bike has 4900 miles on it.

This is really kinda pissing me off-- I have never raced this bike nor has this bike ever been over 9k rpm.:banghead:

last time i had that to happen it cost me almost $2000 on a zx11 tranny was bad replaced gears and had it undercut

Back