Is the busa worth the $$$$

Kahuna

Registered
First of all, this question comes from a current cruiser owner. I have been researching the sport bike cross over, but there seems to be such an array of choices and prices. I do love the 'busa and would love to just break down and buy one, but unsure of how I will take the transition given the new riding position and all.

Yes, I'm looking for smooth and strong. Not for racing or anything, just for cruising around town and a smooth open- road ride.

Since there are many choices, I am debating over keeping the cruiser and going with a less expensive sport bike. I will be able to justify both bikes if there is less of an investment on the new bike. I was thinking Ninja 750 due to price ($5,500), but I have never owned a sport bike and would like it to be a pleasurable experience, not one I regret.

Any advice from someone who has been here before would be greatly appreciated.

<!--EDIT|Kahuna
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151342013 -->

Ninja 750 at best is a poser sportbike.
Very old technology from the early 90's.
Do your self a favor and think Suzuki.

P.S. The busa is way worth the money.
10 K of pure ecstasy.

<!--EDIT|TIMMYDUCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151342376 -->

Honestly, I'd probably just get a Good Used Busa... Anywhere from 02 on up or so... It's a Bike that is worth the money for folks that are into and used to sportbikes, but if you're primarily a cruiser guy, and may end up not liking the Busa in the long run, the used bike will save you a lot of money. Besides, there may be a new 07' Busa coming, might want to trade in here in a few months.

Is the Busa worth it though? Hell Yeah, Every Last Penny. Pretty much everything you have heard is true, and to top it all off it's a great all around do it all street bike.

Honestly, I'd probably just get a Good Used Busa...  Anywhere from 02 on up or so...  It's a Bike that is worth the money for folks that are into and used to sportbikes, but if you're primarily a cruiser guy, and may end up not liking the Busa in the long run, the used bike will save you a lot of money.  Besides, there may be a new 07' Busa coming, might want to trade in here in a few months.  

Is the Busa worth it though?  Hell Yeah, Every Last Penny.  Pretty much everything you have heard is true, and to top it all off it's a great all around do it all street bike.
Well said.

The Hayabusa is a wise investment . They really hold their value quite well , with frequent maintenance they are damn near indestructible . You ride one and get use to the riding position and power and you just might forget you own another bike . I'd get an 03 or better because of the starter upgrades in the years 03 and above. If you get an 02 make sure you upgrade the starter because the earlier years had a problem with the starter being damaged if the the battery was low .

<!--EDIT|tinmann
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151344499 -->

A Busa is well worth the money.
How big is your cruiser? How long of rides? An SV 650 or 1000 may be more what you are looking for. A used FZ1 may be a bike for you to look at too. It would be a less radical position change.

Totally worth it to buy used now. New - not so sure considering that a revised model is coming out pretty soon...

Resale value is excellent!

I currently ride an 800cc Suzuki Volusia. Nice bike, love the feel, just want MORE !!! I thought the sportbike would be a good avenue to explore because it would give me versatility and a different overall experience. I guess I could always go back to a cruiser later if need be.

I came off of cruisers and have not regretted it one bit
wink.gif

Going from a Volusia straight to a Busa is nuts.  Sure you'll initially be in ecstasy (or terror) when you experience the power increase.  But that's is NOT a good transition.

You won't know how to lean the Busa and the bike has WAY too much juice to be an initial intro to the sportbike world.  You'll probaby end up dropping it too.  I've ridden with guys who's first sportbike is a Busa and they can barely ride it except in a straight line. IMO they totally jumped the gun and are now so scared of dropping the bike and the power.....that they never learn how to corner. Not saying that will be you but you should go smaller and test out the sportbike world first and learn how to ride one. Then if you like sportbikes and have experience on them.....a Busa upgrade will feel natural.

I'd get a used gsxr-600, F4, or ZX6 or an SV650....go used for any of them and ride one for at least 6months.....a year or 2 or 3 would be better.  Then go Busa if you want.

I went from a cruiser to a Blackbird a few years back....mistake.  Lucky I didn't kill myself....I sold the Blackbird and got an SV650......glad I did.

Just my .02.

<!--EDIT|skater69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151350762 -->

once you get a sport bike you most likely will be unhappy getting back on the cruiser. If you want to switch be ready for that part of it, I had a 1500 Vulcan prior and rode it coast to coast and everywhere in between. I sold it and got a GSXR600 to see if I really wanted to do the sport bike thing before spending the big bucks. The only regret I have is buying a Busa to start with, the 600 was fun and easy to ride and still very comfortable to me, but I would rather have the better comfort and huge power of the Busa. Now I am waiting to get one when I should have already had one 3 years ago!!

My original goal was to keep my big ole cruiser and have the Busa as well. I just knew I would want to keep my cruiser for trips etc. It was clear, early on as the dust collected on my cruiser, that it had to go. I LOVE my Busa. I'm actually on my second and it has been worth every penny I have spent on it.
biggrin.gif

PS - in response to the comment about the Volusia. My first bike was an 800 Intruder, then a 1500. Then to the Busa world. I did just fine.

I currently ride an 800cc Suzuki Volusia. Nice bike, love the feel, just want MORE !!! I thought the sportbike would be a good avenue to explore because it would give me versatility and a different overall experience. I guess I could always go back to a cruiser later if need be.
Bought a Volusia after I bought the Busa to give me a feel of the cruiser ride and wound up selling it about a year ago.  Just didn't have the same feel that the Busa has.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151352047 -->

BabyJandVolusia_5.jpg

Going from a Volusia straight to a Busa is nuts.  Sure you'll initially be in ecstasy (or terror) when you experience the power increase.  But that's is NOT a good transition.

You won't know how to lean the Busa and the bike has WAY too much juice to be an initial intro to the sportbike world.  You'll probaby end up dropping it too.  I've ridden with guys who's first sportbike is a Busa and they can barely ride it except in a straight line.  IMO they totally jumped the gun and are now so scared of dropping the bike and the power.....that they never learn how to corner.  Not saying that will be you but you should go smaller and test out the sportbike world first and learn how to ride one.  Then if you like sportbikes and have experience on them.....a Busa upgrade will feel natural.

I'd get a used gsxr-600, F4, or ZX6 or an SV650....go used for any of them and ride one for at least 6months.....a year or 2 or 3 would be better.  Then go Busa if you want.

I went from a cruiser to a Blackbird a few years back....mistake.  Lucky I didn't kill myself....I sold the Blackbird and got an SV650......glad I did.

Just my .02.
I can't agree with you. Just cause you had that experience, and that other rider you knew had that experience of having a Busa for a first bike doesn't mean that applies to everyone.

Busa is my first and still only bike and I'm alive in one piece nearly 25,000 miles later, with less than .25 inch of chicken strip on each side and a couple of mildly scrapped peg feelers. That's in L.A., San Diego, and Ventura roads splitting traffic.

I think him coming from a cruiser is still WAY better than me coming from NOTHING into a Busa.

Don't disway him from it to go for "baby steps" instead. Some people just don't need it... Maybe by luck?

But my answer to that Million $$$ question is: If you take all of the sportsbike out there from all the different manufacturers with the different models and compare them. $$$ for $$$, the Busa is a steal considering what it offers, and that's even above Ducs, Aprillas, Agusta, etc... that's priced easily 3 times as much as a Busa.

Very easy to get on a Busa and ride - safely.

Exploiting it will require some time and skills.

Dont think too much about it - go for it!

I came from a Honda Magna and had no problems with the adjustment to the Busa, but then I do ride conservatively.

<!--EDIT|Col_Mustard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151355101 -->

I went from 2 months of riding on a V-Star 1100 then to a 2004 Yamaha R1, put 3,000 miles on it and then I picked up the Busa. So I had three bikes in the garage when I got the Busa. Guess what, I never put another mile on the other two bikes and I sold them both. Get the Busa, you will love it. You can always get some handle bar risers to get you into a more upright seating position if you want.

I ride for 500 miles + with ease on my Busa. I would not get rid of it for anything other than another Busa. Go for it. Stay away from the 600's and liter bikes they will be too drastic of a change and you will not be comfy on them.

Most Liter bikes and 600's have the seat tilted so far forward that you end up with your balls smashed into the gas tank after every bump. The Busa has a very flat seat design and a very large passenger seat as well.

The only mistake you will regret is not buying one. GO FOR IT.

all i can say is-if you want a Busa, get it. go used n save some $$, n take your time learning how the bike handles. I just looped my baby last saturday-see pic. And I am going to put it back together, no doubt. Love the ride, woudln't trade for anything-had an offer to switch with a custom chopper, worth double my bike's sticker, n i still said no.

wreckedbike7.JPG

jumping too dramatic...no R badged rocket, you are not ready for it...practice with SV650 or R6 or GSXR 600, it still has R in it...its whole lot forgiving and rider friendly...better to take some advise...my 2 cent
smile.gif

Back