Is it just me or do police not like bikes??

running around town with straight pipes, or race only exhaust....speeding and stunting are why it seems we get more attention than others......

we do it to ourselves....

been riding since i was 15, and it took me a while to realize this....

I am a cop and have caught myself staring at motorcycles from time to time. I never really thought about what the rider was thinking as I admired the bikes. They probably thought I was looking for an excuse to stop them, but honestly I was just looking to see what they were riding. On the other hand, I have stopped a few cyclists for doing something completely dumb, but never wrote any tickets. One I really remember was a guy on a motard 650. He passed by me at an intersection and obviously didn't notice me from the traffic. He turned the corner and wheelied a nice ways. Everybody at the intersection started staring at me like" you gonna do something" So I managed to catch up at the next light and did the stop so everyone could see. The guy was cool and basically had a good attitude. He said he new he was wrong and deserved whatever he got. I admired the bike momentarily and explained that there were better places to do that kind of riding. He continued the good attitude so I told he would have to stay and talk to me for a bit so the "onlookers" would think he was getting in trouble. He couldn't believe it and kept asking, you are not gonna write me a ticket.. I don't belive it" A few minutes later he was free to go and thanked me.

I know a few cops around here that ride and most of them ride sportbikes. They are probably just a little jealous that you are out riding and they are at work. They are pretty cool out here as long as there isn't much traffic around.

Alot depends on your peers where you ride, based on your location, I'd guess theres more than a few bad apples just because of the number of bikes. I notice alot of the officiers here stare just checking out our bikes, followed by a friendly wave. I also have a few advantages, one of our local state troopers lives acroos the street, and the night shift Sgt. is my riding buddy and I work on his 954CBR, And the GSXR750 hanging in my garage, after installing new skins, is the police chiefs son who just returned from Irac:laugh: I didn't want you to think this the wrong way though, after a ugly warning in front of the entire day shift, I've used up my lucky break for this summer, :rulez:

'06blkbus-yoshi kit 041.jpg

'06blkbus-yoshi kit 042.jpg

cops around here see RED and they know they dont have a chance to catch me!:moon: but when they click their pens and i see the pink paper, we both smile!

What's that old fart doing on a bike like that?....

Why, I'm having the time of my life Officer!

Some do, some don't. Take it with a grain of salt and choose playtime very carefully. :beerchug:

You got it. Choose play time very, very carefully. LEOs are a breed unto themselves. Expect no mercy. And yes, I think they hate people on fast bikes.
They seem to ignore Harleys that are so noisy they break ear drums. I guess that is because they can make so much noise and go sooooo slow!

i gotta disagree generally speaking. ive been pulled several times for embarassing speeds and got off all but once by just being polite.

Around here, most of the time, I think they are just admiring the bikes themselves.

I have been stopped a few times (this was years and years ago), I only received the pretty pink reward on two different occasions. I should've been awarded great big pink rewards every time. Most of the LEO's were preety cool and just told me to slow it down and be more careful.

Stopped once in Charlotte, NC when the GT Mustangs were being used as the State Trooper cars. Yes this was the last pretty pink reward I got, but the trooper wsa really nice. I got him to raise the hood on his car so I could check out the engine, he let me climb under it (as far as I could) to check out the suspension. He even pointed out some of the minor differences in the State Trooper cars and the regular civilian cars.

IMO most of the time it is your attitude that gets you the big ticket, a warning, or a compliment on your bike.

Of course if you are willing to run or are super speeding that could make for a real bad day.

I've had more problems in my car then on my bike... The popo seem to be pretty kool in MD & VA...

I have to say it is very difficult to generalize all LEO's. Last weekend we had just gotten back from the 3 hour trip to Houton for a trackday. We stopped at a buddy's house to unload his Busa first. An Austin PD Officer came rolling up and got out of his car. We were like, "CRAP what now"? Turns out he owns/rides a Busa himself and saw the trailer with the two Busas and just had to stop and look. He was really seemed like a nice guy. Although he did mentioning selling his Busa as he is afraid to ride it here in Austin, believing that a fellow APD officer would be happy to pull him over and do what they can. The APD is pretty shady here and do not even look after their own, BUT I have to give them this as far as motorcycles go; Univeristy of Texas has many squid riders out there doing incredibly stupid stuff!!!

I stopped for gas and i had one leo tell me "nice bike" i told him thank you and went about my business, the whole time i was thinking, i'm going to hit the interstate try and catch me...:laugh:

Never had a problem with em, I love(calm down) cops, I waive to them, most waive back. If they catch me doing something, its my stupid ass fault.

i recently got a bad vibe from a nc state trooper stare down, there was a bike accident wasnt a serious one, about 2 miles away from it i was rolling up to a stop sign, the trooper saw me and all but stopped. he was approaching me on my left and had the right of way. he turned on to the street i was on and veeeery slowly drove by me. i nodded and he kept staring. wondered if the guy that wrecked had been racing and they were looking for the other bike. never found out, gave a few minutes to get some distance between us then hauled butt home. :whistle: iv been known to be a little squidly at times. :laugh:

I could have been cited a few times this week for not seeing them before they saw me break some minor law, and they didn't do anything. There are a couple of buttheads around here, but most of them are ok.

Last edited:
I try to make a point to wave at most leo's just to let them know I'm not a cop hater. I had a trooper come over to me at a reststop one time and I thought, What did I do wrong. He wanted to look at my bike and ask me how I liked it. People are people and most that know anything about bikes know you're riding the baddest, You get my drift.

I just paid a $200 fine for failure to use a turn signal when I pulled into a Sonic at a bike night. First ticket in 10+ years. I'm not a big LEO fan right now, and am still waiting for one of these guys to cut me a break when I get caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

Don't group them all into one lump....lots of em ride themselves. The same could be said about any form of transportation....cops don't like sports cars, trucks, etc....it's in the perception. Perception may be reality for you, but it's not fact.

Back