So maybe its just me / my ride style, but...

Okay I can't help but notice how in every single video of a busa, stock, non stock, turbo'ed, or whatever its popping a wheelie in third gear amazingly easily.

now I'm no fatass (20 years old, 158lbs wet with a bear fur on)

but I can NOT get my busa to pop in third, period. maybe, just maybe, if i dumped my clutch and flew the RPM high, but I doubt even then.

The only way I know i can wheelie is by full throttle in first gear, or some light clutch maneuvers in first as well.

now I'm not really crazy enough to be doing highway wheelies, but I sure am wondering why I can't do it... underpowered bike? poor understanding of throttle timing? bad placement of self on bike for wanting to do wheelies? its not like im sitting on the tank.....??????

Edit: oh and flame suit on, just WONDERING about the wheelies, don't give me the "oh heres another 20 year old looking to kill himself" rant :D

Last edited:
Oh great here is a soon to be 21 year old who is secretly trying to kill himself at 20!:laugh:

Throttle/clutch and where you are in the torque curve. :thumbsup:

cant help sorry, never really feel like abusing my busa like that . that said when i was your age it was a very different story :laugh: be carefull but have fun :thumbsup:

welcome, sorry your getting flamed. Wheelies and Busa's = not good.
Not really a wheelie crowd here. Hopefully you do not plan on using the Busa for wheelies.
Nothing personal. Forget the third gear wheelies.

I must have an underpowered one too. Mine will only come up in 1st and 2nd. But I am running an 18 tooth front sprocket.

Underpowered bike? :rofl:

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Good one.

Yesterday saw a Craigslist ad for a Busa with -4+6 gearing. Never heard of that combo before but I bet it can wheelie in 3rd gear. Or 4th, 5th or 6th ! :welcome:

now I'm not really crazy enough to be doing highway wheelies, but I sure am wondering why I can't do it... underpowered bike?

I'm not trying to :flamethrowing:

But where are you trying if it's not on the highway?

Anyway, once you're far enough into the torque curve to do it in third gear, you're going waaaay faster than you'll want to be if you go down.

Fun? Absolutely. Worth the risk? Not so much.

Be careful out there.

Not so sure why it has to be third, but if you start in 1st or fan the clutch in 2nd find balance point and go from there.

In standard trim the power delivery is a bit ... hmmm how u say user friendly/ tame. I put yosh R-77 4 into 1 and it wheelies now in 3 rd under power at bout 90 mph .... I think, who the hell was watching the speedo !

What do u wanna do that for anyway, u silly boy, wait till you get to my age to be that stupid >>> :laugh: enjoy the ride bud ! stay alive long enuf to keep enjoying your busa !! :thumbsup:

yea, if you think about it 1st goes to about 90ish stock, and you want to do a wheelie in 3rd? I'm having enough fun in 1st and 2nd... Good Luck though

You have the wrong color~!!~ :laugh:

Seriously though...a third gear wheelie is not something you can instruct a person how to do over the internet. 1st and 2nd gear maybe (still iffy)...but 3rd is either do or die~!~

Like others said, you'll be going fast enough to really get hurt if you try something someone tells you to do...hate to say it but third gear is going to have to be something you feel for yourself~!~

At the same time...shifting into 3rd while already up is a whole lot easier than attempting to learn to pull up in 3rd in my opinion...but you did not hear that from me...(is this vanishing ink)

Just be careful, and don't push yourself beyond...

Back