Is a Busa for me ?

MR Felt

Registered
I have been thinking about adding another bike to the
garage. My current ride is a Yamaha FZ1.
I went to the stealer last week and rode a new R1.
It was real uncomfortable. Forearm pump-up big time.
I know, I really need more time to rule a bike out .
I mostly commute to work which the FZ1 does well. I took
a trip to Sturgis last year on it and it was comfortable
the whole trip.
The FZ1 weighs 485 lbs wet with the mods I have on it
it gets 33 mph...ok If I just commute. Age here is 51.
So what do ya think??

Edit: I'm not really concerned about going fast.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Last edited:
I wish I had my 05 FZ1 back.But the the busa will be a lot more comfy than any R1

:welcome:

are you racing to work :laugh: cause the mpg is low compaired to commuting on the carbed 05

I love my Busa but do miss my old 03 FZ1... wish I had it along with my new one. They are great bikes and compared to the FZ they are lacking in the comfort area. I haven't changed anything to help with the comfort exept the gel seat but there are plenty of guys who have. Pull the trigger....:beerchug:

What are you looking for in a busa that you don't have in your bike?

What do you think could be improved on your bike?

Then we can tell you if that particular trait will be better or worse for you.

If MPG's are your main concern
I get better gas mileage with my girlfriend riding with me than you are currently getting.

What are you looking for in a busa that you don't have in your bike?

What do you think could be improved on your bike?

Then we can tell you if that particular trait will be better or worse for you.

If MPG's are your main concern
I get better gas mileage with my girlfriend riding with me than you are currently getting.

What am I looking for??? It has to be somewhat comfortable, be able to take a trip or two and have a
"High Cool Factor".

Last edited:
Maybe this will help...I traded my FZ for the busa for one reason.Stability at stupid speeds :whistle: .If it wasn't for that I would have kepted the FZ.Nothing is planted like a busa when you're really ripping.

I just saw your edit so heres mine...if speed is not an issue..FJR or Concours for comfort..but the busa is the coolest

Last edited:
I've only ridden 4 rides over 3 hours on mine, but It hasn't bothered me a bit.
I usually make a stop every hour or so to stretch and re-focus.

And the cool factor is definitely there... i mean, just look at me :laugh:

Maybe this will help...I traded my FZ for the busa for one reason.Stability at stupid speeds :whistle: .If it wasn't for that I would have kepted the FZ.Nothing is planted like a busa when you're really ripping.

I just saw your edit so heres mine...if speed is not an issue..FJR or Concours for comfort..but the busa is the coolest

I'm not a FJR kind of guy. My motorcycle roots are from racing. Off road 1978 - 1994, and the FZ1 is my first
street bike.

I'm not a FJR kind of guy. My motorcycle roots are from racing. Off road 1978 - 1994, and the FZ1 is my first
street bike.

Then you'll love the torque of the busa :laugh: but....expect the busa to feel heavier on slower maneuvers,not much though

I think getting a Busa would be a good investment especially if you are looking at taking trips. It will handle the road better than your old bike. Alot of guys on the site put alot of miles traveling all over.
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome!

(I think you know the answer, or you wouldn't be asking the question. Only one "Busa" no matter how you cut it)

Welcome!

(I think you know the answer, or you wouldn't be asking the question. Only one "Busa" no matter how you cut it)

Right here's your answer !!

You won't find a more versitile bike, in my opinion. Just look here. you have your "track guys", "drag strip guys", "stretched - lowered - wide tire guys", and your "street guys", and some have a mix of them. (when I say "guys", I mean the "gals" too !!)

I've taken skads of overnighters, including 10 day and 2 week trips. Never have I wished that I was on another motorcycle (OK ONE TIME when the road turned to dirt in the forest, I wished I was on my KLR!)
Cool factor? We are biased on this forum but I can say Hayabusas have an aura about them, something mysterious. There is no bike night, touring meeting, or race track that I have attended that I haven't felt incredibly proud to be on a Hayabusa. I don't ride and own one (actually two) to garner attention, but they sure do garner attention! Raydog

P1010491.JPG

P1020668.JPG

over a 200 mile trip last year riding within the speed limits as there was no hurry, i returned 52 mpg out of my 99 busa , bit boring though :whistle:

What am I looking for??? It has to be somewhat comfortable, be able to take a trip or two and have a
"High Cool Factor".
You say that you're 51, which is not a factor in the decision. You didnt say how tall you are, which IS a factor. If you're 5'0", a Busa isnt gonna be your best choice. If you're 7'0", its not gonna be your best choice. If you fall between those points, can hold up a bike thats heavier than your FZ1, dont mind excess amounts of torque, speed and "cool factor", then it seems like you've answered your own question.

Last edited:
Ok as another guy with that is past the Half Century mark. I will tell you that my 05 Busa is my primary commuter . (I also have a a 06 wing a 01 Victory and a 08 B King) I have made three changes to improve comfort. Buell Pegs Heli Bars and Heated Grips. I would say that since "Cool Factor" is Purely Subjective, asking about "Cool Factor" of a Busa on a Busa board my not get you a objective answer because for most of us there is no cooler bike.
The extra length and weight of a busa over smaller bikes smooths out the road nicely while the extra torque and HP compensates nicely .

Back