Interesting letter from Shell Oil engineer

whitesands

Registered
Not to start a controversial EARL thread, but I found something interesting reguarding Shell brand Rotella oils...It seems that alot of motorcycle riders that have familiarized themselves with oil specs have found Rotella to work very well in their motorcycles...Here is an email from a Rotella engineer that I found on the Shell forums...Anyway, thought you guys may find it interesting.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

Who is Earl?
whistling.gif

thumb_up.gif
i've used it in my 04 dodge.checked it out on the shell website a couple of years ago.have used it in my bikes based on that and it has worked great.but you should do the research for yourself just to be sure.
ThumbsUp.gif

i have been running this in my bike for years....the synthetic. its not bad for it is it? i am a bit confused about the ash thing.

Back