Synth Oil OK at 600 miles?

I use Freakin Wesson Vegetable oil now, because damn regular gas station oil is freaking $7.37 a quart out here in Italy. Foget about trying motorcycle oil, that would probably be a 200 dollar oil change
mad.gif

Yeah I'm kidding 15w40 is what I use, I will switch to a syn blend this oil change.

I use Freakin Wesson Vegetable oil now,  because damn regular gas station oil is freaking $7.37 a quart out here in Italy. Foget about trying motorcycle oil, that would probably be a 200 dollar oil change  
mad.gif

Yeah I'm kidding 15w40 is what I use, I will switch to a syn blend this oil change.
Sounds to me like you need a US-Italy Connection... Someone to send you a Silkolene Pro-4 race Care package...
thumbs-up.gif

Or maybe just find a US shop that ships APO?

Just a thought, if it's that messed up and expensive, maybe Fed-Ex is the Answer...

Some of your Automotive Synthetics and Dino's do have High Levels of Friction Modifiers in em' that are absent or reduced in Motorcycle blends. Too much Teflon or PTFE or Moly are bad for wet clutches, but even then chances are it was just superior friction reduction exposing a clutch that was allready failing.

At least thats waht I have read... The Busa Loves the Full Synthetic...

Run dino until about 1,000 miles and after doing new rings.  You will be fine at 600 if you already chnaged to Syn.  I would not drain it.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103124272 -->

you can use any synthetic at anytine Even, at the firstr start up. The new motorcycle cylinders are nicacil coated from the factory, You don't have to use conventioal oil to brake it in like the old iron cylinder motors in the past. When we build motors at the shop( even the one making over 250hp) the get started on synthetic motor oil from ther first start up. just find one you like Valvoline , mobel one or what ever. It won't hurt the bike. I use a 5w-30 in mine Moble 1, I use 0w-30 in my race bike & yes you can use it on the street. The trick is to keep your oil clean, Change it. You don't need special motorcycle oil that costs a bunch.
biggrin.gif
Whats your take on Royle Purple syn.? [i think thats what its called] For mostly street use ocassaional 1/4 mile. Busa has 1500 miles on it. With one oil change in her past at 350 miles

<!--EDIT|DR1300R
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103127305 -->

I use Freakin Wesson Vegetable oil now,  because damn regular gas station oil is freaking $7.37 a quart out here in Italy. Foget about trying motorcycle oil, that would probably be a 200 dollar oil change  
mad.gif

Sounds to me like you need a US-Italy Connection...  Someone to send you a Silkolene Pro-4 race Care package...
thumbs-up.gif

Just a thought, if it's that messed up and expensive, maybe Fed-Ex is the Answer...
yeah I tried to get oil sent out here and it won't get past customs. Can't send that kind of stuff overseas. Its ok 9 1/2 months left out here.

mad.gif

Sounds to me like you need a US-Italy Connection...  Someone to send you a Silkolene Pro-4 race Care package...
thumbs-up.gif

yeah I tried to get oil sent out here and it won't get past customs. Can't send that kind of stuff overseas. Its ok 9 1/2 months left out here.
What if we smuggle it in Jack Daniels Bottles or something like that? Maybe I could build a Teddy Bear With a Bladder full of oil inside? Hell Silkolene is Bright Fuggin red outta the Bottle. I could fill up a few bottles of Nestle quick and they would never figure it out...
smile.gif

Bummer about Customs... Fuggers...

Nine and 1/2? Not too bad, I mean there are worse areas to be in than Italy...
thumbs-up.gif

thumbs-up.gif

I always say motor oil is motor oil. So just to throw another one out there I ran 0w syn. that I bought from BDE. I ran it all summer and had no problems and this stuff looks thinner than vegetable oil even when it cold. Keep it clean and full and it dont matter what the brand or weight is.
There are several new cars that come with Mobil 1 as factory fill so that kinda blows the break in opinion.

What's with everyone obsessing over friction modifiers?
Read the freakin' API circle on side of the bottle and it'll tell you if it's got friction modifiers.

Mobile 1 with red cap...high quality, readily available, reasonably priced and no friction modifiers.

Busabrent: If you like the placebo effect of your overpriced motorcycle oils more power to you, but quit spreading the manure about the API rating letters. Too many people believe every bit of misinformation they read on the internet as it is.

mad.gif

thumbs-up.gif

What if we smuggle it in Jack Daniels Bottles or something like that?  Maybe I could build a Teddy Bear With a Bladder full of oil inside?  Hell Silkolene is Bright Fuggin red outta the Bottle.  I could fill up a few bottles of Nestle quick and they would never figure it out...
smile.gif

Bummer about Customs...  Fuggers...

Nine and 1/2?  Not too bad, I mean there are worse areas to be in than Italy...  
thumbs-up.gif
thanks I appreciate the offer but i figure a couple more oil changes using regular ol motor oil is ok for me. The engine will probably be taken apart when I get back stateside. After the engine work is done I will run some good stuff in her. Crisco this time
wink.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Hey, Mercedes has shipped new cars from the factory with full synthetic since at least 1988, so break in is no problem. Remember how many Busa owners have reported grabby clutches after 2,000 miles on synthetic oil, though. Motul 5100 semi-synthetic has been a god send: no problems!

Remember how many Busa owners have reported grabby clutches after 2,000 miles on synthetic oil[/QUOTE]

My memory is a little foggy...how many would that be?

Don't use anything but Suzuki brand 10/40 dino and only the dealer can change your oil or it will void your warranty!
laugh.gif

you can use any synthetic at anytine Even, at the firstr start up. The new motorcycle cylinders are nicacil coated from the factory, You don't have to use conventioal oil to brake it in like the old iron cylinder motors in the past. When we build motors at the shop( even the one making over 250hp) the get started on synthetic motor oil from ther first start up. just find one you like Valvoline , mobel one or what ever. It won't hurt the bike. I use a 5w-30 in mine Moble 1, I use 0w-30 in my race bike & yes you can use it on the street. The trick is to keep your oil clean, Change it. You don't need special motorcycle oil that costs a bunch.
biggrin.gif
I'm with you cc. I went straight to mobil 1 at 500 miles. Some worry about the clutch slipping with sythetic oils. My bike is mildly modded and I haven't had any clutch slippage. The bike does seem to like it. The shop manual doesnt specify a filter change at every oil change ( If I remember correctly). I would reccommend a filter change with every oil change. It doesn't cost that much. I run a basic STP filter from Autozone. I think its getting the job done. Also, I saw a little bit of metal sludge on the magnet on the oil plug after 500 miles. I think this is a sign of proper beak in, i.e. rings settling in. I haven't seen any more since I went synthetic.

I went with a semi-synthetic at 550 miles. I will probably keep using it. Very high specifications and it cost less than 1/4 the price of Amsoil.

Petro- can 10/40 Duron XL semi- synthetic

FP --- 448
VI --- 156
ht/hs --- 4.3
PP --- -54
ash --- 1.37
TBN --- 10.3

Amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil synthetic

FP --- 450
VI --- 173
ht/hs --- 4.20
PP --- -54
ash --- 1.0
TBN --- 12.0

Duron 10/40 is under $4.00 Canadian a litre.
Amsoil is $12.00 delivered to your door a litre.

biggrin.gif
Believe it or not my dealer told me they put synthetic in brand new. bike had 1 mile when I got it and I changed it after 50 miles and it was pretty dirty looking. Then again at 600 mile oil and filter and it was only a little dirty looking and most recently at 3000 miles I probably could have went another 2000 mile or so and I have used Mobil 1 Gold cap 15-50. the first change (50 miles) was Mobil 1 red cap 15-50 but I can't find it anymore ( I think they changed it). The tranny is very smooth and actually the only way I could see it being smoother would be if it shifted just by me thinkin about it. To each his own.

Back