I'm curious

Once the Hayabusa ECU is flashed and sorted, I can't see how a GSXR ECU would be an improvement.
I would think the GSXR ECU would have more capabilities (electronic aids) but the Hayabusa doesn't have these so they would be moot.

I don't think their are aftermarket TC/ABS/IMU integrated systems. There is Bazzaz but that is an old tech system with some pretty big limits. I'm finding the QS options lacking too, they are a patch at best and most are configured for drag racing. You really need to have RBW it do the QS right with a downshift blipper. I'm wondering if this might be easier than a maybe going to the expense of a race ECU. Just a thought though, I had heard the program in the 1000 and 1340 were very similar.

I think BCP was playing with some anti wheelie ideas for a stock WB turbo. I was thinking you could use a lot of power with something like that.

I don’t see why one couldn’t source a stock wiring harness, dash unit with the display sensors, ECU etc and fit them to the Busa. You might have to modify the harness somewhat if the fittings/connectors are different for example. There are a few companies in the car world that make custom harnesses but I’ve never inquired about bikes. Or it can be spliced in and paired with some of the current wiring, or repinned as needed. I think it would be pretty straight forward having access to the schematics of the old vs the new. Certainly makes for a nice conversation piece when you roll up on the scene!! Traction control wheelie control and cornering abs on the Busa would be 3rd Gen like.

I was talking to a friend and he asked me would I ever go to a replacement for the Busa or would I just keep updating it. After some thought I really concluded if you can't update the electronics I'm not sure I can improve it much more. Yes I can make it different, but probably not fundamentally better.

PS: If Suzuki had done this themselves I think the bike would still be a first tier hyperbike - and Suzuki might have considered meeting Euro 4-5.

I was talking to a friend and he asked me would I ever go to a replacement for the Busa or would I just keep updating it. After some thought I really concluded if you can't update the electronics I'm not sure I can improve it much more. Yes I can make it different, but probably not fundamentally better.

PS: If Suzuki had done this themselves I think the bike would still be a first tier hyperbike - and Suzuki might have considered meeting Euro 4-5.

I concur...I think Suzuki just doesn't want to spend the money to keep the Hayabusa platform going.

It will leave us with the scenario you are facing, when does the bike reach the limit of it's capability?

It's a 20th century bike running with 21st century bikes..

There are an amazing array of traction, wheelie and stability controls available in standalone ECUs. Don't think in terms of piggyback controllers, they can only intercept and reinterpret existing signals. Think of standalone ECUs like a fitech or holley set-up with programmable/configurable inputs and outputs. All you'd need are hall effect sensors and gyroscopes. It's be a major undertaking, but easier than repurposing a Gixxer ECU I'd imagine.

For about $600 you could get a MAXX ECU that will will crap all over a gsxr ecu and it would extremely easy to update a gen 2.

Gen 2s already have electronic secondary throttle blades. It be easy to remove the cable driven blades and have RBW.

If you don’t have and abs model busa, you can buy a set of oem abs reluctor wheels and sensors, drill and tap factory hubs and that would take care of traction control. Also, all 08-12 models have the spots for the sensors on the rear caliper bracket, you just need to drill them. I make a bracket for non abs forks that bolt to the axle pinch bolts to run a front wheel speed sensor.

Add a strain gauge on the shifter for clutchless up shifts, and program your now fully electric throttle bodies to match rev.

For wheelie control, add on an optical right height sensor, and your good to go.

for the record, gen 2 ecu editor has a traction control option. It’s by gear, and it’s based off of rpm increase per second. Once you exceed the threshold, you can program how much timing to pull out to gain traction. I’ve set it up before on the dyno, then shut load control off on the roller and it did what it was supposed to do.

IMO in racing applications traction control is a bandaid for crappy suspension tuning and/or driving/riding. TC slows you down more then help you go faster.

I have a very expensive Davis box in my mustang. It always on, but it never does any corrections because the car is so dialed in.

Is it possible to get the ECU and other electronics from a GSXR1000RR and put it on the Busa? That could really bring the platform current. Any thoughts on how complicated this would be?
Arch, that ECU on the Gixxer1000RR is specifically designed and written for the GSXR engine, completely different power output, bore x stroke, capacity, cyl head design, compression ratio, max hp and torque at higher RPM etc etc.
In short, it's never going to be compatible with the Busa engine . . have you ever ridden a GSXR1000RR? If not, ride one, you will love your Busa even more!
The GSXR is a race bike with lights, cramped and highly strung.
Great for young lightweight wrist jockeys lol.

To have the tech of a 21st century bike on our 20th century platform. But you're right, the aftermarket gives easier and better options.

I guess the OP has been answered well in the posts which followed. In short it depends on how user friendly the HMI is and how much money one wants to throw at it for custom development. But aftermarket already has available traction control, launch control, lean angle, engine control, data logging etc.

Arch.. develop a five axis traction control with riding modes plug and play ECU and wiring harness and all the sensors and I'll line up to buy it....

Behind the other two people who are interested in it....

LOL

cheers
ken

Arch.. develop a five axis traction control with riding modes plug and play ECU and wiring harness and all the sensors and I'll line up to buy it....

LOL

cheers
ken
Why you want to drag me down, dog? You are right that there isn't a market for this and that's why it doesn't exist already. I think liability too, testing these kinds of things is super expensive!

Why you want to drag me down, dog? You are right that there isn't a market for this and that's why it doesn't exist already. I think liability too, testing these kinds of things is super expensive!

Oh I read kml's post all wrong...

I was thinking it was a positive thing for you to develop such a thing...moving our bikes to the next level....even if Suzuki seems to not be doing so...for the very reason you pointed out...expense.

I'd be in for one of these too...It's what I think everyone wants the Gen 3 to be...

LOL

cheers
ken

Back