I rode a 14 tonight

YOU SOLD THOR!? WHAT IN THE WORLD!?

It's not April.....am I in a parallel universe!?
wow.gif

(BiG-T @ Sep. 21 2006,16:58) I'm almost out of fingers for counting DJ's Busa's.
I'll help you (4) and now a ZX-10 he wants me to make a pure track bike. But THOR........he got a nice machine...
beerchug.gif

When the Hayabusa first hit showroom floors back in 1999, I thought it was the ugliest sportbike I ever laid eyes on. My son and I quickly dubbed it "The Hibachi". In no way did I ever think I’d purchase one, let alone love it as I do.

After reading the cycle magazines and taking in all the radar speeds a stock Hayabusa achieved (189 MPH in one direction, 194 in the other), I just couldn’t help give the thing a look every time I visited the dealership. My final assessment of the Hayabusa, as I walked out the door each time: “That thing’s too ugly to be caught dead on.â€

Then one day, the salesman “Steveâ€, whom I’ve known for nearly 30 years now and had just sold me a new 99 R1 in January asks me, “Would you like to test ride a Hayabusa? The copper and silver one here is already set up and ready to roll.â€

At first, I hesitated, as I NEVER test ride any bike I’m not fairly certain I wish to buy, and I wouldn’t do that to Steve. I wanted a sportbike that could actually tag the 190 MPH zone and possibly tickle the 200 MPH barrier with work, but the thing was so freakin ugly to me. It just kept repulsing me. So I thought to myself, “Let’s see how it performs in all other respects and then I’ll have a true understanding of what it has to offer.â€

So I said, “You know I hate the copper and silver paint combo. If I were to make a purchase, it would have to be the black and gray paint scheme.†He replied, “We have one left and could set it up this afternoon if you’d like.†He then told me to put it through its paces and let us know how it wheelies. I said, “Wheelies? You’re serious?â€
Steve had seen me wheelie away from the shop many times throughout the decades, so he responded with, “You’ve been wheelying for as many years as I’ve known you without incident. You’re a safe bet and we really want to know how it performs.â€

You don’t get offers like that everyday, so I said, “Let’s do it.†You guys know the rest. They wheelie with the greatest of ease, they have GOBS of TORQUE, they ride smooth at speed, they’re comfortable, their speed is deceptive, they handle fantastic with quality rubber mounted. Before I even returned to the shop, I knew I was going to tell Steve to set up the new Black & Gray Hayabusa for me and I’d just have to learn to accept old Fugly for her performance aspects.

Just as the contents of a book overpower the worst of book covers, the Hayabusa’s performance overpowered its fugly outer shell. Suddenly, I found it didn’t look so fugly anymore. It was only a bit “ug-ohâ€. Surprisingly, day-by-day it just kept getting better looking to me. I’ve grown to really like its appearance, which has also helped me to better appreciate fugly women although, I still have to test ride them before I think about bringing them home.  
biggrin.gif

(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,02:40) When the Hayabusa first hit showroom floors back in 1999, I thought it was the ugliest sportbike I ever laid eyes on. My son and I quickly dubbed it "The Hibachi". In no way did I ever think I’d purchase one, let alone love it as I do.

After reading the cycle magazines and taking in all the radar speeds a stock Hayabusa achieved (189 MPH in one direction, 194 in the other), I just couldn’t help give the thing a look every time I visited the dealership. My final assessment of the Hayabusa, as I walked out the door each time: “That thing’s too ugly to be caught dead on.â€

Then one day, the salesman “Steveâ€, whom I’ve known for nearly 30 years now and had just sold me a new 99 R1 in January asks me, “Would you like to test ride a Hayabusa? The copper and silver one here is already set up and ready to roll.â€

At first, I hesitated, as I NEVER test ride any bike I’m not fairly certain I wish to buy, and I wouldn’t do that to Steve. I wanted a sportbike that could actually tag the 190 MPH zone and possibly tickle the 200 MPH barrier with work, but the thing was so freakin ugly to me. It just kept repulsing me. So I thought to myself, “Let’s see how it performs in all other respects and then I’ll have a true understanding of what it has to offer.â€

So I said, “You know I hate the copper and silver paint combo. If I were to make a purchase, it would have to be the black and gray paint scheme.†He replied, “We have one left and could set it up this afternoon if you’d like.†He then told me to put it through its paces and let us know how it wheelies. I said, “Wheelies? You’re serious?â€
Steve had seen me wheelie away from the shop many times throughout the decades, so he responded with, “You’ve been wheelying for as many years as I’ve known you without incident. You’re a safe bet and we really want to know how it performs.â€

You don’t get offers like that everyday, so I said, “Let’s do it.†You guys know the rest. They wheelie with the greatest of ease, they have GOBS of TORQUE, they ride smooth at speed, they’re comfortable, their speed is deceptive, they handle fantastic with quality rubber mounted. Before I even returned to the shop, I knew I was going to tell Steve to set up the new Black & Gray Hayabusa for me and I’d just have to learn to accept old Fugly for her performance aspects.

Just as the contents of a book overpower the worst of book covers, the Hayabusa’s performance overpowered its fugly outer shell. Suddenly, I found it didn’t look so fugly anymore. It was only a bit “ug-ohâ€. Surprisingly, day-by-day it just kept getting better looking to me. I’ve grown to really like its appearance, which has also helped me to better appreciate fugly women although, I still have to test ride them before I think about bringing them home.  
biggrin.gif
I see what you mean.....I think
rock.gif

StudioShotsGambrillpark007.jpg

That is one sharp looking 14..

Since you've rode both the 14 and Busa, I need some more distance from the seat to the pegs (need to straighten the old knees some), is the 14 "bigger" in this aspect?
I like to tour on the Busa and if the 14 is a better fit I'd tour it to... Oh, how many miles to a tank or fillup?

(Truckracer @ Sep. 22 2006,09:07) That is one sharp looking 14..

Since you've rode both the 14 and Busa, I need some more distance from the seat to the pegs (need to straighten the old knees some), is the 14 "bigger" in this aspect?
I like to tour on the Busa and if the 14 is a better fit I'd tour it to... Oh, how many miles to a tank or fillup?
I would say the 14 is a little more cramped in the leg department but more roomy in the reach area. I think the foot pegs are slightly higher on the 14, great for corner clearing but not so great for long miles. Did a 400 mile day in the twisties on it and I felt it the next day. Now after modding I get about 167-175 on a tank full, depends on how wristy I am.

my old man just got his zx-14 and when ridden back 2 back with my 03 busa you can c a couple weeknesses with the busa. the brakes are the number 1 diff and the busa doesnt shift as nice but the busa will give the 14 all she wants in the power dept

(tourbus @ Sep. 22 2006,10:41) my old man just got his zx-14 and when ridden back 2 back with my 03 busa you can c a couple weeknesses with the busa. the brakes are the number 1 diff and the busa doesnt shift as nice but the busa will give the 14 all she wants in the power dept
I agree stock for stock they are very close in power. Remove the secondary's on the 14 and pipe and tune both bikes, there is a big difference. Me and DJ "Sageronin" did a first gear roll on last night, he has an 03 Busa that I built up as a project bike, Marchesini lightweight wheels, 520 chain conversion, PCIII, Brock's Street Smart System, GI-Pro and custom map.

I have an 06 ZX-14 w/ secodary's removed, custom made by me K&N foam air filter, Tsukigi Exhaust, PCIII, custom (5) hour map, Dynojet Quick Shifter, Royal Purple "Max cycle" oil. I will let "DJ" tell you the full result but at 3rd. gear I was long gone. My bike dynoed at 186.9 and 107 foot pounds of torque and DJ's Busa ran 166.9 at 102 foot pounds of torque on the same Dyno, same tuner. Both bikes are outstanding and "Thor" my project Busa that "DJ" just bought, has better power numbers with the Tsukigi Spec II system than DJ's "Sageronin" has. We will run "Thor" and the 14 "Vulcan" and see what gives. All in all both bikes are a blast...

Greg, What did Thor dyno (HP and torque) with the Spec II installed. I am thinking about purchasing SpecII for my busa....

New pipes...new map. (STANDARD NUMBERS NOT SAE)

<span style='color:red'>This was from the first pre-custom map run:</span>
<span style='color:darkblue'>Performance Modifications:</span>
ATRE
BMC Race Air Filter
Short Velocity Stacks
Tsukigi Spec II Race Full Exhaust System
Small Airbox Modification

First numbers: 169.9hp@9500 rpms 93.91 Torque

DynoSheetsProjectBusa1.jpg

<span style='color:red'>This was final run after shifting the air fuel ratio from high 11's to 13.05</span>
DynoSheetsProjectBusa2.jpg

<span style='color:red'>Final numbers: 172.7 HP@9650RPM 93.98 Torque the peak torque at around 7K is about 103</span>

(GPW @ Sep. 22 2006,14:20)
(tourbus @ Sep. 22 2006,10:41) my old man just got his zx-14 and when ridden back 2 back with my 03 busa you can c a couple weeknesses with the busa. the brakes are the number 1 diff and the busa doesnt shift as nice but the busa will give the 14 all she wants in the power dept
I agree stock for stock they are very close in power. Remove the secondary's on the 14 and pipe and tune both bikes, there is a big difference. Me and DJ "Sageronin" did a first gear roll on last night, he has an 03 Busa that I built up as a project bike, Marchesini lightweight wheels, 520 chain conversion, PCIII, Brock's Street Smart System, GI-Pro and custom map.

I have an 06 ZX-14 w/ secodary's removed, custom made by me K&N foam air filter, Tsukigi Exhaust, PCIII, custom (5) hour map, Dynojet Quick Shifter, Royal Purple "Max cycle" oil. I will let "DJ" tell you the full result but at 3rd. gear I was long gone. My bike dynoed at 186.9 and 107 foot pounds of torque and DJ's Busa ran 166.9 at 102 foot pounds of torque on the same Dyno, same tuner. Both bikes are outstanding and "Thor" my project Busa that "DJ" just bought, has better power numbers with the Tsukigi Spec II system than DJ's "Sageronin" has. We will run "Thor" and the 14 "Vulcan" and see what gives. All in all both bikes are a blast...
It's all true ... his 14 makes better HP (+20) and TQ (+5) so the results were expected ... he gave me the jump, but still passed me in 3rd gear and was pulling away fast. . . . but that's why I've got my Turbo busa ... for all those nasty little ninja's that want to play
smile.gif

Warning to all of my busa brothers out there ... do not sleep on a 14 that has these performance mods.

Turbo is just pure cheating............
bowdown.gif
....and I am not playing with those Turbo Bikes....well not yet. If I get a second 14 we will have to go the boost route. I already know I can't keep up with your motorcycle product line so slow down and wait for a little bro to grow up.
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

(shawn @ Sep. 22 2006,15:34) I like the red on black.  Nice!
Thanks Shawn. I just got another set of stock grills in, thinking of flipping the colors around to see how it looks with black on red this time.

GPW that is a very nicely done up bike. The looks for the 14 are starting to grow on me. I would imagine that if I rode one, it would grow on me even more!
Looking forward to seeing your next set of mods!

Back