I NEED HELP!

PUNN1025

Registered
So I got my wife a maltesse puppy for her b-day, and its been a nightmare the breeder said he was paper trained BS!!! The main problem is when we put him in his cage or in the washroom with a baby gate he just cries and cries, all night and all day only when he is confined. When we take him out to potty he just wants to play. We have limited his eating and drinking to twice a day and take him out immediately after he eats or drinks for example: he went out last night before bed time, put him in his cage and then around midnight he starts crying so i take him out and he just wants to play, so i put him back in his cage, all night i can hear him crying so when i wake up at 430 in the morning i find him in poop in his cage on his bed WTF! so i bath him and go off to work, my wife calls me at her end saying he hasnt stoped crying and whining in his cage so she put him in the washroom with the gate and he still crying. he just doesnt like to be locked up, i think he looks at it as punishment and it doesnt help when i lose my patience and yell at him

HELP!!!

Yikes, I don't miss those days at all...

How long have you had him?

We had great luck with crating both of our Danes when they were pups, but it wasn't easy. Ater trying the "lets see how they do with free run of the house" and realizing that pups just chew up too much, we turned to trying crating them during the day. They cried at first, but we had little choice and kept at it. We had a huge box that they couldn't jump out of or chew up easily. They learned quickly to "hold it" during the long 9+ hour work day, and when we got home and got them outside, they were more than happy to go to the bathroom after waiting all day long. I realized pretty quickly that they didn't like to mess in that box since they had to sit in there all day long; didn't mean there weren't accidents...they were crated 'til I trusted them to run around the house while we were gone; it was a great way to potty train and I'd do it again.

We never crated them at night; they were very spoiled and slept with us
smile.gif

I'd say the key is to do something consistently and keep at it for a while. If you keep changing methods, the pup gets confused and it's hard to get him/her in the routine...

How old is the puppy? He will have to learn to accept his kennel. If you continuously take him out when he cries he will learn, thats how I get out. If you can ignore him, it will take a couple of days for him to get used to his new environment and kennel. Wait about 30 minutes before you take him out after eating. Praise him with positive re-inforcment when he goes outside(treats). We had to do the same with our Boxer when he was young. The main thing is to completely ingnore him when he is kenneled. Dont talk to him, dont console him, dont look at him. He will be looking to your for ques. Body language and tone of voice will clue him in. If you are stressed, he will be too. Wait till he is about 6 months old and then get him into a puppy school(obedience), you will both benefit from it. Good luck!

P.S. Set a feeding schedule and stick with it...pick a time of day when you'll have time to take him out so he won't have accidents
smile.gif

HERES THE THING HE IS 6 MONTHS ALREADY, AND AROUND 4LBS BUT HE SCREAMS LIKE A 500LBS BUSA AT 8000 RPM, I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE SAT.

Give him a few weeks...it's like a new baby in the house...takes time to get in YOUR routine, but it can be done...

Just be CONSISTENT and he'll be a great pup
beerchug.gif

I have a Maltese, too. She's now 3.5yrs old, 6lbs soaking wet!. When we first got her, she was the same way - whined ALL the time. Make sure the kennel is SMALL. Don't put ANYTHING in the kennel! No bed, blanket, pillows, etc. The idea is that if he's gonna pee/poop, he's gonna hafta lie in it! Most dogs don't like to lie in their pee/poop. You're prolly gonna hafta force yourself to suffer thru the whining. I know I had to. She hated the kennel at first. She would whine all night long. Eventually she realized that we weren't coming for her and stopped. It took some time, but she got over it...

He's a little older, so he has learned a bad habit.
Make sure his kennel/crate is only big enough for him to lay down and stand up to turn around in. No bigger. If he whines at night let him out to do the duty. If he does. PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. If he doesn't - right back in to the kennel. If the kennel is small enough, he won't want to lay in it and will learn to hold it. Maybe move up feeding time so he has a chance to pooh before bedtime.

Puppies ain't easy, especially ones that have already learned a bad habit.

+2 on the ignore him if he cries for no good reason. He is training YOU. Don't fall for it. Irritating - yes! But don't fall for it. He'll get it after a while. 4 days isn't long enough for him to learn your rules yet.

Good luck!

assuming hes not in the crate for extended periods other than at night you should limit his space in the crate with a divider. they know not to poo where they sleep cause momma would have taught him a good lesson for doing that while he was with her. if he has the room he'll just go at the other end. but you also have to remember that a pup that age cant hold it forever. i never had a problem with crate training. when he wines at night take him out to the bathroom and right back to the crate if he doesnt do anything and leave him there.

Keep us posted on how the pooch does...or, vent here because you're still losing sleep
tounge.gif

How old is the puppy? He will have to learn to accept his kennel. If you continuously take him out when he cries he will learn, thats how I get out. If you can ignore him, it will take a couple of days for him to get used to his new environment and kennel. Wait about 30 minutes before you take him out after eating. Praise him with positive re-inforcment when he goes outside(treats). We had to do the same with our Boxer when he was young. The main thing is to completely ingnore him when he is kenneled. Dont talk to him, dont console him, dont look at him. He will be looking to your for ques. Body language and tone of voice will clue him in. If you are stressed, he will be too. Wait till he is about 6 months old and then get him into a puppy school(obedience), you will both benefit from it. Good luck!
James hit the nail on the head. As much as you want to, don't let him out if he cries! It will take much longer to train him if he knows you will give him attention, any attention meaning yelling, praise, reassuring, anything when he cries or barks while in the kennel. Limit food intake and water before going to bed, just like a child. With some time he will learn YOUR program and be a very important part of your family.

Crates never worked for our pups... They were only confined when we weren't home. Maybe it was us being soft but they seemed to learn the routine faster when they were with us. We also had a full grown dog in the house when the pup came home so the new guy learned a few lessons from the old guy (except for the one we have now...). The pup seemed to follow the lead of the older dog. They did what we did when we did and followed from room to room - they seemed happiest and most content when they could see us and knew what we were doing. We've also had Labs, not little dogs so that might make a difference... Raising a pup is not too much different than a kid in some ways - No means no, be consistent and stick to the rules and make sure they know who the boss is.

Make sure the crate is the right size. The dog should be able to walk into it and turn around and lay down...that is it. Dogs are naturally clean animals and they will not pee in a crate if they have to lay in it. Give them too much room inside the crate and they will. You can put something in the back of the crate or find a crate that has dividers that can be placed in it to section it off for size.

HERES THE THING HE IS 6 MONTHS ALREADY, AND AROUND 4LBS BUT HE SCREAMS LIKE A 500LBS BUSA AT 8000 RPM, I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE SAT.
Earplugs.
She beat me to it.
Earplugs +1000
Make the kennel a shelter, drape a blanket over it to make it more like a den. Dogs are great at making that ear piercing whine that causes you to stress so use the Earplugs. Don't engage in play when headed out to poo. Just ignore him until he drops a duece and them praise him. Give it some time and things will change before you know it.

Just an idea, if you go with crating...I think we had pretty good luck because we didn't use a wire crate for the pups to see out of and whine every time they saw you or the cat walking by...

Our pups were in very tall boxes (Danes need tall boxes LOL) and it helped to restrict what they could see. When they'd hear us coming in the house, they'd go nuts, but visually they weren't bothered by all the things they couldn't get to...

Back