I got owned by a '78 1000

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
gassing up, I see a couple of guys checking the bus going into the station. I go to pay my cash [me no do plastic] and I hear one muttering something "Suzuki" and "Piece of $#!t..." Then while I'm paying one of them says, "I could beat ya on my 1000..." Not caring to waste any time with this at all, I say, "I bet you could." He continues, "Yeah, you might get me on the top end, but I'd beat ya in the 1/4 mile... 78 Kawasai KZ1000..." I leave.

1978? what the... ? Maybe he has a bike setup for drag? Who knows. I was really in a hurry and didn't feel like investing any time in the Armchair Racer Boy thing. So... I guess he won, huh?
biggrin.gif

A 1978 - 1000 Kaw was a decent bike.  The big thing for those bikes, and other similar cc bikes back then were the V&H bore kits with Mikuni smooth bores.  My point is this; even if he had it punched out with better carbs, you could have spanked him low end, mid, and top end, if you know how to ride that is.  Not questioning your skills, and I know you know how to ride WWJD, just making an analogy.  So if he shows up again ask him what he doing riding that broke down 30 year piece of Kawi crap around and then be willing to lay down some bones on a race.  Unless you are a novice you will take him.  And for what it is worth, I had a 1976 Honda SS 750 with a V&H 836 kit, mikunis, and I gave some 1000s a tight race back in the day.

Good luck!

P.

cool.gif

gassing up, I see a couple of guys checking the bus going into the station.  I go to pay my cash [me no do plastic] and I hear one muttering something "Suzuki" and "Piece of $#!t..." Then while I'm paying one of them says, "I could beat ya on my 1000..."  Not caring to waste any time with this at all, I say, "I bet you could."  He continues, "Yeah, you might get me on the top end, but I'd beat ya in the 1/4 mile... 78 Kawasai KZ1000..."  I leave.  

1978?  what the... ?  Maybe he has a bike setup for drag?  Who knows.  I was really in a hurry and didn't feel like investing any time in the Armchair Racer Boy thing.  So... I guess he won, huh?  
biggrin.gif
I'll bet you're going to be in therapy for years after that traumatic experience....
sadnews.gif

Had a guy pull up next to me on the I-40 crosstown a while back, he was on an old Kawi, it was lowered and streched, he gets up next to me, checks out my little 1K and bumps the throttle a couple of times, I look over at him and chuckle and give him the thumbs up...BEEP....BEEP....BEEP, that was the last time I seen him...My 1K has alot of engine work and when I hit it, it lifted the front end at 70...When I let off, I checked my mirrors and he was no where in sight...

What was it...

KZ1000 http://www.artedelstein.com/OldBike....e43.jpg

KZ1000 Z1R http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/06/12/bikepics-1318488-full.jpg

or KZ1000 Z1R TC? http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/12/19/bikepics-750853-full.jpg

I had a new 78 KZ1000 Z1R that did 11.99 quarters... top speed 143mph. Friend that owned the Kawi store had the KZ1000 Z1R TC.... could do 10.900 1/4 Mile @ 131.200 MPH... topped at 145mph. If this was just a 78 KZ 1000, it would have to be seriously punched to even be a race and it should have been obvious.... can't hide the turbo on these.

A 1978 - 1000 Kaw was a decent bike. The big thing for those bikes, and other similar cc bikes back then were the V&H bore kits with Mikuni smooth bores. My point is this; even if he had it punched out with better carbs, you could have spanked him low end, mid, and top end, if you know how to ride that is. Not questioning your skills, and I know you know how to ride WWJD, just making an analogy. So if he shows up again ask him what he doing riding that broke down 30 year piece of Kawi crap around and then be willing to lay down some bones on a race. Unless you are a novice you will take him. And for what it is worth, I had a 1976 Honda SS 750 with a V&H 836 kit, mikunis, and I gave some 1000s a tight race back in the day.

Good luck!

P.

cool.gif
sounds like at LEAST he knew what he was talking about, huh? If he'd kept on about it, Ida said, "fine. Which drag strip or road course shall we go to?" I don't street race. As far as you know

I get comments here and there, but usually it's just teenagers talking pointless smack

i got low 11's on my stock busa with no previous drag strip experience. If he even still HAD a bike, which I doubt, I'd shown him what the busa is made of
smile.gif

He was prolly standing there telling you this in jeans and a t-shirt to right what moron that guy

I have a good friend with a 78 KZ1000.

He had a similar story about 12 second quarters too,

...lets just say only two gears are necessary to spank it...

...and tha'd be number two and three. Start to finish.

hmmmm .. lets do a little math.... My old GS1100E made 100 horse even... it was easy to spank the 80 odd horse KZ1000 of the day.. the 'bus makes maybe 155-160... yea! the math fits! it should be close!....

NOT!

Back