HW's Inaugural Maintenance

I am ready to order Dunlop Roadsmart IV tires. I have not decided on a changing solution as I am having analysis paralysis with the limitations or space of each.

How timely that in another thread @sixpack577 recommended the inspection of valves on a used bike as I have been looking for valves. The retailers highlight 90° valves and metal ones. I was thinking to stick to straight as they are the least exposed, for example to curb damage. But I cannot even find a straight rubber valve at Revzilla, It is like I am looking for hens teeth. Is there a brand/model of valve for motorcycles that one can recommend?
Curb damage?

I have metal (gold) 90' valve stems on my bike and they deliver just as @sixpack577 says.....easier to adjust air pressure and they definitely do not interfere with anything....

But, you do you......

Tires & valve stems are ordered. I think I need to go with the Rabaconda as the No-Mar has several projects built in like cutting out a base or adding a hitch to the car. Now is not a good time. I could use its extra leverage but will otherwise make do.

Is the "hub" dimension the same thing as the bearing dimension? Are the front and rear of the Hayabusa within the Universal Big Hub Adapter range?

15mm Spindle Kit
Universal Big Hub Adapter (32-68mm)
Ducati 56mm adapter
BMW Shaft Drive Type Adapter (HAHAHA SHAFT DRIVE LOL LOL!)

It seems that the sale price on the "ultimate kit" makes more sense than buying accessories piecemeal, so it will include all of the adaptors. I can probably get some money back by selling the BMW adaptor for big $ to some rich person on Facebook.

Last edited:
I just did my first bike oil change.

I debated pulling the oil cooler line off but I was able to finagle the oil filter wrench in by methodically rotating it around the obstacles. I tightened the filter hand tight. I got the ratchet and filter out of the (rider's) left side, again carefully rotating them around the obstacles unsure if I would get them out while the ratchet was connected.

My mechanic used a regular washer. It is lightweight and has an indent from the bolt. It was loose and came right off, unlike stories I have read about the crush washer. I did use the OEM crush washer as I had bought two of them. I had abject fear about the drain plug from the Internet. I tightened it to about 140 in-lbs, read the forum, saw @Mythos suggested 12-15 ft-lbs, and upped it about a pound. The wrench clicked right away. Whatever, I will leave it there.

Despite being extremely careful I somehow got oil on the vertical part of the header. I tried a few wash methods but there is still a dark stain. Perhaps that will burn off?

There was nothing in the drain plug and the oil looked fine for having 2,000+ miles, a medium-dark color.

I need to touch the clutch and stator cover so I have not filled the oil. Being slow and methodical this took a while so that may be the one thing I accomplished today.

I debated pulling the oil cooler line off but I was able to finagle the oil filter wrench in by methodically rotating it around the obstacles. I tightened the filter hand tight. I got the ratchet and filter out of the (rider's) left side, again carefully rotating them around the obstacles unsure if I would get them out while the ratchet was connected.

My mechanic used a regular washer. It is lightweight and has an indent from the bolt. It was loose and came right off, unlike stories I have read about the crush washer. I did use the OEM crush washer as I had bought two of them. I had abject fear about the drain plug from the Internet. I tightened it to about 140 in-lbs, read the forum, saw @Mythos suggested 12-15 ft-lbs, and upped it about a pound. The wrench clicked right away. Whatever, I will leave it there.

Despite being extremely careful I somehow got oil on the vertical part of the header. I tried a few wash methods but there is still a dark stain. Perhaps that will burn off?

There was nothing in the drain plug and the oil looked fine for having 2,000+ miles, a medium-dark color.

I need to touch the clutch and stator cover so I have not filled the oil. Being slow and methodical this took a while so that may be the one thing I accomplished today.

You can also buy a magnetic drain plug that has a pre-drilled safety wire hole through the hex.
Then tie the plug to one of several places for added security.
I have one on my Gsxr, and have on several bikes.

Next time put some tinfoil on the header pipes to keep oil off them....

I buy a mega pack of crush washers and stow them away so I always have some..

Next time put some tinfoil on the header pipes to keep oil off them....

I put a plastic bag underneath the filter, and tugged it up the headers vertically a little. I have no idea how I got oil on the outside pipe. Perhaps it was pulling the filter out. So yea, good idea, I gotta wrap all exposed areas.

You can also buy a magnetic drain plug that has a pre-drilled safety wire hole

Great idea. On the other hand I have set new spending records...and now this? Oh thanks "so much".

This bolt is great; as long as they did not use the same red dye as those poison M&M's:

1703261732295.png

Dang, they do not appear to have the red one for our bikes.

Last edited:
I am studying the Brock’s clutch mod. Why do the instructions, and members here pull the disks/outer parts? There is a guy on YouTube who just pulled out the center and easily made the swap. Guess what? He did not incorrectly rearrange the disks like I see is prevalent, as well as likely for me. But there did not seem to be any need to pull the outer parts.

I installed the Woodcraft stator cover today.

I have a couple nylon kitchen spatulas with hanging holes in the handles. I put the holes on the various tabs on the OEM cover and used the spatulas to pull it off smoothly and easily.

I saw various opinions on putting sealer on the case, by the guide dowels as the manual shows. The instructions do not indicate such and I did not. I hope I do not regret that later.

People warn about the force of the magnetic attraction and it severely harming the hands. Prepared for it, it was not an issue. I used my fingers to deliberately cushion the placement in the right alignment. If one allowed the cover to snap uncontrollably from afar, I can see how that would cause injury.

Last edited:
I received the Rabaconda street bike tire changer. This is merely a commentary and not a review:

I find that Rabaconda's presence is awesome. The tire changer and accessories were tightly packed, with cartons sized exactly. They provided a printed manual and it is of high-quality, spiral bound with a tough cover. The manual is bold, concise, and exactly how a great manual should look. They sent several stickers, not just the main logo, but slogans too, and they all appear cool.

The order service is solid. They sent proactive messages regarding the order status and their email notices included links to instructional videos.

That company is giving absolute attention to their presence and making sure that they look like a shining diamond with every single thing that they outwardly present.

Ironic, as I see on Facebook that they are seeking a graphic designer. Whoever does that job there should know that they are making a big, bold impact. How many of us feel like we are making such an impact daily at work?

I removed the rear wheel. It was not intuitive on how to get the caliper out of the wheel. Perhaps I should have pushed the whole thing up further initially? For sure I will need to understand this better to assemble it without a struggle.

Not knowing anything I was surprised at how the cush drive so easily slips apart.

I removed the rear wheel. It was not intuitive on how to get the caliper out of the wheel. Perhaps I should have pushed the whole thing up further initially? For sure I will need to understand this better to assemble it without a struggle.

Not knowing anything I was surprised at how the cush drive so easily slips apart.

You've done it once now, so the next time will go alot smoother.

Be sure to get some new ones from Schnitz. Use a lil silicone to get them in place. They’ll never ‘easily slip apart’

IMG_3962.png

Waiting to hear good things when you finish up this round of mods and maintenance.
Some jobs are frustrating, but I am willing to bet that when you're done, any frustrations will be replaced with satisfaction, and wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

Currently I feel a strong dichotomy. So far I have executed exactly like you said I could. Win! At the same time I look at the stripped bike and an office and garage full of tools and parts and think, "WHAT DID I JUST DO?"

Back