How to remove brake pads?

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
How do I remove the 2 pins holding in the brake pads on the rear caliper of a gen I?

Same thing for the front. How do I remove those pins?

Thanks!!!

Never touched the rare, but the pin has a small clip in it - this to ensure the pin never gets out. The clip can be removed by hand or by nose pliers. Then, just wiggle the pin and take it out.

While the pads are still in there, carefully pry them apart (by hand or with something - but be gentle and apply pressure for like 5 - 10 sec). This is to force pistons back in the calipers a bit. Otherwise, when you try to put the new pads in they won't fit.

Don't forget to re-insert the clip back and wiggle the pin to make sure it can't get out.

What he said.

A good way to spread the pistons apart is before you take out the old pads is use a large needle-nose pliers and insert it in between the pads. Gently apply pressure by twisting the pliers.

Changed my pads about 2 weeks ago and did it in a matter of minutes, Gen-I is super easy.

If you need new pads, have a bunch sitting here.
:easy: Galfer Brake Lines, Wave Rotors & Brake Pads: Buy Now | Pashnit Moto

more help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I got it. I pulled the keep pin out but the pins themselves were kinda stuck. Just use the pads to hold pressure and wedged the pins out.

Pashnit... You sold me the pads:whistle:...I got the other ones in the old box. I'm just gonna put return to sender on them and have the mail lady pick em up.

Back